E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Can't read FRM with INPA

02-05-2012, 06:34 PM   #1
srohang1
Private

Drives: E90 2006 325i

Can't read FRM with INPA

Hi all,

I am upgrading from FRM1 to FRM2. I was able to source the module from another member on this forum.

I am trying to read my FRM module "Ident" part number so I can program it to my car using winKFP. I am getting an error though when I click on Footwell Module in INPA. See the attached screenshot. 'FRM_87' not found

INPA was able to read the airbag test with no errors. NCSexpert work perfect for coding (haven't tried to code FRM though). I have v45 daten files.

Is this module locked or am i missing something?? Any help could be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

srohang1 is offline   United_States
      02-05-2012, 09:11 PM   #2
xxxjecxxx
Captain

Drives: Jet Black 06 325i LCI

alternate solution:

read your current frm and make a backup of the TRC file.
plug in your new frm2 and make a backup of the TRC.
compare the two files using http://www.comparemyfiles.com/

Program your new one based on values of your old one (the ones that are present)

That's how I programmed my FRM when I replaced it about a year ago. I went from defective FRM1 to FRM1

enjoy your new available mods in frm2
      02-05-2012, 09:23 PM   #3
DESI4life10
Banned

Drives: Coding: Desi4life10@gmail.com

But FRM 2 module has more values than frm 1...so that method won't work well.

OP, you can probably get away with not needing the indent number. You just need to know what family it's from (which should have stated on the FRM module itself FRM pl2 or something). This will be used when you flash the module in winKfp.
DESI4life10 is offline   Canada
      02-06-2012, 08:09 AM   #4
xxxjecxxx
Captain

Drives: Jet Black 06 325i LCI

just in case you can't get WinKFP to work.

you won't be able to read every module with v45. Especially FRM or NFRM.
Sometimes (a lot actually) I find that even after program all other modules with v44 or v45, I have to go back to v39,v41,42 to program NFRM.

Again, just suggesting the way I would do it. Good luck!
      02-06-2012, 10:47 PM   #5
srohang1
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxjecxxx View Post
just in case you can't get WinKFP to work.

you won't be able to read every module with v45. Especially FRM or NFRM.
Sometimes (a lot actually) I find that even after program all other modules with v44 or v45, I have to go back to v39,v41,42 to program NFRM.

Again, just suggesting the way I would do it. Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESI4life10 View Post
But FRM 2 module has more values than frm 1...so that method won't work well.

OP, you can probably get away with not needing the indent number. You just need to know what family it's from (which should have stated on the FRM module itself FRM pl2 or something). This will be used when you flash the module in winKfp.
Thanks guys for the suggestions. After messing around in INPA I did find the ZUSB number by choosing E90, then when the menu list came up the top option was selected (first option listed above engine, transmission, chassis etc.), then I selected 'Functional Jobs', and finally I selected F2 (I think) to see the identity # of the different modules in my car.

I was able to use winKFP to program the FRM2 and tools32 to write the VIN using the script fvin. BTW DESI, in winKFP my module was under the FRM2 ecu type when I entered my ZUSB, but I did see the FRMPL2 type there as well...

OK, so now here is my problem, FML...I have coded a few things to the .MAN file for welcome lights, but nothing has changed. When I lock my car, the regular lights still flash twice and when I unlock the doors, only the door handle lights and interiors come on. I have attached the .MAN file that I coded.

Any ideas???? I've spent countless hours trying to figure this out.......

here are the welcome light values to save time from looking at the man file:

WELCOME_LIGHT_ACTIVE
aktiv
WL_AL
hart_einschalten
WL_BLK_H
nicht_aktiv
WL_BLK_V
soft_einschalten
WL_DAUER
wert_01
WL_FL
nicht_aktiv
WL_KZL
soft_einschalten
WL_MAX_DAUER
wert_01
WL_NSL
nicht_aktiv
WL_NSW
soft_einschalten
WL_POL
hart_einschalten
WL_SL_1
hart_einschalten
WL_SL_2
hart_einschalten

Any ideas???? DESI, I know it's a pain, but if you could help me out and send me your .man file of your NFRM so I can compare them that would help me out so damn much. I've spent countless hours trying to figure this out.......
Attached Files
File Type: txt FSW_PSW.txt (34.7 KB, 181 views)
      02-06-2012, 11:19 PM   #6
srohang1
Private

OKAY! I've been pulling my hair out for no reason......it works!!! had to put the switch on auto...DUHHHHH! thanks for everyones help! now i'm going to try to type up a DIY for this.
      02-11-2012, 01:46 PM   #7
GB///M5
Captain

Drives: E90 335i, F10 M5

Garage List
2014 M5  [0.00]
2013 M3 (Gone, neve ...  [5.00]
2008 335i  [5.00]
Looking forward to the DIY
GB///M5 is offline   United_States
      02-11-2012, 02:04 PM   #8
mike1973
Private

Drives: E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxjecxxx View Post
alternate solution:

read your current frm and make a backup of the TRC file.
plug in your new frm2 and make a backup of the TRC.
compare the two files using http://www.comparemyfiles.com/

Program your new one based on values of your old one (the ones that are present)

That's how I programmed my FRM when I replaced it about a year ago. I went from defective FRM1 to FRM1

enjoy your new available mods in frm2
Hi guys,

A noob question coming up

If I get a new frm2 module from the dealer to replace my frm1 would the process of coding above work to program the new module?
mike1973 is offline   Portugal
      02-12-2012, 09:24 PM   #9
srohang1
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1973 View Post
Hi guys,

A noob question coming up

If I get a new frm2 module from the dealer to replace my frm1 would the process of coding above work to program the new module?
the above will definitely work, but I dont think you need to all of the above steps because a new module will not have any older VIN written to it. but just to be safe, follow the above and you will be fine (even tho you may not need to do all of it).

fyi, do some research on FGNR SCHREIBEN, this is suppose to work as well.

EDIT: find this thread.... "FRM1 to FRM2 Upgrade, programming modules?"
      06-22-2012, 12:07 PM   #10
makkan00
Major General

Drives: E91 330D

Quote:
Originally Posted by srohang1 View Post

Any ideas???? DESI, I know it's a pain, but if you could help me out and send me your .man file of your NFRM so I can compare them that would help me out so damn much. I've spent countless hours trying to figure this out.......
Srohang, those people who do not have auto on their headlight, how should they turn on welcome lights?

I have also spend countless hours and changed all the lines but could not get it working.
Any suggestions, anybody?
      06-24-2012, 08:04 AM   #11
srohang1
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Srohang, those people who do not have auto on their headlight, how should they turn on welcome lights?

I have also spend countless hours and changed all the lines but could not get it working.
Any suggestions, anybody?
makkan00 has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

hmmmm, i didnt know they made e90s without the automatic headlight switch option....sorry, i have no idea what to do in that case
      11-25-2012, 06:36 PM   #12
Edmond357

Drives: 330i E90

Hey guys
question:
i am also going to upgrade my frm1 to frm2 , no problems
but:
my car has no lichtautomatic and no navi

will the welcomelight work?
      11-25-2012, 06:52 PM   #13
mike1973
Private

Drives: E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB///M3 View Post
Looking forward to the DIY
x2.. looking foward to it in order to replace my frm1
mike1973 is offline   Portugal
      03-22-2013, 12:44 PM   #14
yEBMW
Lieutenant

Drives: '11 BMW 335i

Garage List
DIY?

Quote:
OKAY! I've been pulling my hair out for no reason......it works!!! had to put the switch on auto...DUHHHHH! thanks for everyones help! now i'm going to try to type up a DIY for this.
Did you ever make a DIY for this?

11' 335i -M-Sport/LeMans Blue Metallic/Sport/Premium/AT - Current
06' 325i -Base/Arctic Metallic/MT - Retired
yEBMW is offline   United_States
      03-27-2013, 10:09 AM   #15
yEBMW
Lieutenant

Drives: '11 BMW 335i

Garage List
How to use write_fvin in tool32

Quote:
Thanks guys for the suggestions. After messing around in INPA I did find the ZUSB number by choosing E90, then when the menu list came up the top option was selected (first option listed above engine, transmission, chassis etc.), then I selected 'Functional Jobs', and finally I selected F2 (I think) to see the identity # of the different modules in my car.

I was able to use winKFP to program the FRM2 and tools32 to write the VIN using the script fvin. BTW DESI, in winKFP my module was under the FRM2 ecu type when I entered my ZUSB, but I did see the FRMPL2 type there as well...

OK, so now here is my problem, FML...I have coded a few things to the .MAN file for welcome lights, but nothing has changed. When I lock my car, the regular lights still flash twice and when I unlock the doors, only the door handle lights and interiors come on. I have attached the .MAN file that I coded.

here are the welcome light values to save time from looking at the man file:

WELCOME_LIGHT_ACTIVE
aktiv
WL_AL
hart_einschalten
WL_BLK_H
nicht_aktiv
WL_BLK_V
soft_einschalten
WL_DAUER
wert_01
WL_FL
nicht_aktiv
WL_KZL
soft_einschalten
WL_MAX_DAUER
wert_01
WL_NSL
nicht_aktiv
WL_NSW
soft_einschalten
WL_POL
hart_einschalten
WL_SL_1
hart_einschalten
WL_SL_2
hart_einschalten

I have a question about the following:
I was able to use winKFP to program the FRM2 and tools32 to write the VIN using the script fvin.

I have figured out how to use winkfp to update the FRM2 but now I have searched all over the place and can't figure out how to use tool32 to write the vin. It is in german so I can't read the comments which may help. But the steps I am taking is to
1) connect cable to car, connect cable to laptop via usb
2) open INPA to make sure I have two black dots which tells me everything is connected.
3) open tool32 and load FRM_70.PRG cause I believe that is the ecu for the FRM2 module(Please correct me if I am wrong, I am new to coding and tool32)
4)scroll down to read_fvin hit f5 and look at job results(when I do this I see the vin of the last vehicle this was attached to not mine)
5) here's where I should be able to use the write_fvin to write my vin to the frm2 module..(here's where I'm confused cause when I select fvin it says 1 argument: fvin and that entire box is yellow, so I enter my entire vin in the line below argument, the one with the empty drop down, and then I hit f5 but the results say error_vin or something to that effect, I am at work and can't remember the exact wording. But it won't write my vin)

So please can someone please give me some simple steps I can follow to fix this?

Thanks

11' 335i -M-Sport/LeMans Blue Metallic/Sport/Premium/AT - Current
06' 325i -Base/Arctic Metallic/MT - Retired
yEBMW is offline   United_States
      08-14-2013, 03:56 PM   #16
ChrizLoud
Vtech St2 - 380hp/750nm

Drives: BMW E61 535D LCI Touring

Quote:
Hi all,

I am upgrading from FRM1 to FRM2. I was able to source the module from another member on this forum.

I am trying to read my FRM module "Ident" part number so I can program it to my car using winKFP. I am getting an error though when I click on Footwell Module in INPA. See the attached screenshot. 'FRM_87' not found

INPA was able to read the airbag test with no errors. NCSexpert work perfect for coding (haven't tried to code FRM though). I have v45 daten files.

Is this module locked or am i missing something?? Any help could be greatly appreciated.
Can you access it with INPA now to read out fault codes? Cus i have the same problem even that i did everything right or is it maybe that my INPA installation is to old?
ChrizLoud is offline   Sweden