E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Halogen Lights - M-Tech, Osram, Sylvania

02-12-2012, 04:52 PM   #1
itrocks4u
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2011 328i xdrive

Halogen Lights - M-Tech, Osram, Sylvania

Hi,

I know there are a lot of threads on halogen lights and replacing angel eyes or getting white light output (excluding angel eyes). I'm looking for the same thing, but needed some opinions on a few options I narrowed down to. This is for E90 LCI halogen lights.

Basically, for low beams / high beams, I was thinking one of the following options:

1) MTECH 4350K H7 Super White:

http://www.e92-lighting.com/products...ITE-13-18.html

2) Osram Rallye 65w:

http://store.candlepower.com/osraulhiouh7.html

Has anyone used any of the above? Which one has less of a blue tinge to them? I'm actually leaning towards Osram Rallye but kind of worried about 65W versus the 55W that it should be.

Lastly for the fog lights, do I need H11 or H8? I kept thinking it was H8, but I've read various threads mentioning H11 and some mentioned H8.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Regards,
S
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 06:06 PM   #2
DesiRoc
Kumar
United_States
Rep

Drives: '09 328i AWD E90

I did this for my e90 LCI halogens.

You'll need H7s for both your highs and lows, and H8s for your fogs.

I used Xenesis Tru-Match bulbs, which gave me the white output I desired, however my high beams still seem to be yellowish so you may want to look into a different one for your highs and not the same bulbs you use for lows.

I changed my angel eyes to WeissLichts for halogens. They're pretty satisfactory.

Last edited by DesiRoc; 02-12-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 07:04 PM   #3
itrocks4u
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiRoc View Post
I did this for my e90 LCI halogens.

You'll need H7s for both your highs and lows, and H8s for your fogs.

I used Xenesis Tru-Match bulbs, which gave me the white output I desired, however my high beams still seem to be yellowish so you may want to look into a different one for your highs and not the same bulbs you use for lows.

I changed my angel eyes to WeissLichts for halogens. They're pretty satisfactory.
Thanks man. I'm trying to avoid Xenesis Tru-Match bulbs or anything with the blue coating. Unless that's the only option to go with.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 06:02 AM   #4
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Tru white had no blue coating IIRC- I think they were clear, almost like OEM, with a black tip. Anyone know? I owned those before I went OSS, they were actually the best white I found in an H8 solution.
Then again, I wasn't looking very hard at the time
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 11:40 AM   #5
itrocks4u
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDeFranco1 View Post
Tru white had no blue coating IIRC- I think they were clear, almost like OEM, with a black tip. Anyone know? I owned those before I went OSS, they were actually the best white I found in an H8 solution.
Then again, I wasn't looking very hard at the time
Do you have a link? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 01:32 PM   #6
raj55
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Drives: E91 2009, 320i

OK, I have tried Philips longlife (it came with the E91), Philips vision plus, Osram Night breaker, Osram 65W Ralley, and now Philips xtreme vision, (all H7 bulbs) in my E91 2009 LCI model during the past 3 years and what do I think?
Short answer, Philips xtreme vision is the best, no doubt. It throws a wide and long beam of light on the road with a very clear resolution/well focused and a cut off worth dieing for. It makes you feel that you suddenly have a projector light instead of the reflector. It is better than Osram 65W, both in throw and focus. You see a much longer stretch of road and the road markings and road signs jump at you (good reflection). On the very large road signs only the lower half of the road sign is lighted (good cut off). The upper half is dark. Osram Ralley throws quite a lot of light in front of the car but it lacks focus, and length compared to the Philips xtreme vision and you tend to concentrate on the near field nearest to the car instead of the far field where you should be looking. All due to too much light near the car. And besides the cut off is not as good as Philips. You light the whole road sign instead of the lower half and that too after having checked that both bulbs (osram and philips) were adjusted to the same height from the start. I nail that down to too much stray light and less focussing on the road surface itself.

Osram Night Breaker (the older one) is not bad but not as good as the Philips xtreme vision imho. The other bulbs, I won't bother commenting on except that the Philips long life was not too bad given the long life characteristics but not in the same league.

What will I buy when the Philips xtreme vision die on me (hopefully after many years!)? The same.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 02:16 PM   #7
itrocks4u
Captain
Rep

Thanks for the detailed response! Is Philips xtreme vision white or yellowish still? Also where did you buy them from? Any link to website? I've hard about one of the Philips messing up the wiring, hopefully this is not the one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj55 View Post
OK, I have tried Philips longlife (it came with the E91), Philips vision plus, Osram Night breaker, Osram 65W Ralley, and now Philips xtreme vision, (all H7 bulbs) in my E91 2009 LCI model during the past 3 years and what do I think?
Short answer, Philips xtreme vision is the best, no doubt. It throws a wide and long beam of light on the road with a very clear resolution/well focused and a cut off worth dieing for. It makes you feel that you suddenly have a projector light instead of the reflector. It is better than Osram 65W, both in throw and focus. You see a much longer stretch of road and the road markings and road signs jump at you (good reflection). On the very large road signs only the lower half of the road sign is lighted (good cut off). The upper half is dark. Osram Ralley throws quite a lot of light in front of the car but it lacks focus, and length compared to the Philips xtreme vision and you tend to concentrate on the near field nearest to the car instead of the far field where you should be looking. All due to too much light near the car. And besides the cut off is not as good as Philips. You light the whole road sign instead of the lower half and that too after having checked that both bulbs (osram and philips) were adjusted to the same height from the start. I nail that down to too much stray light and less focussing on the road surface itself.

Osram Night Breaker (the older one) is not bad but not as good as the Philips xtreme vision imho. The other bulbs, I won't bother commenting on except that the Philips long life was not too bad given the long life characteristics but not in the same league.

What will I buy when the Philips xtreme vision die on me (hopefully after many years!)? The same.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 07:55 AM   #8
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by itrocks4u View Post
Do you have a link? Thanks!
Actually you're right, they have a blue coating. But they are not at all blue, I remember that much.
I think jlevisw has em:

http://www.jlevistreetwerks.com/3-Se...duct_info.html
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 04:26 PM   #9
raj55
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Drives: E91 2009, 320i

Here is the link to the place in UK where they sell and post bulbs worlwide.
http://www.carbulbsdirect.com/store/...fitting/h7-499

These are bulbs with normal power draw and should not burn any thing. They are just better made and more efficient than other bulbs. I do not know how long they last. Time will tell.
Appreciate 0