E90Post
 


Extreme Power House
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > Long term parking at Newark Airport - Serviced lot or public long term lot?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-17-2012, 12:23 PM   #1
ERdiesel
Private First Class
1
Rep
102
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 335i xDrive
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Long term parking at Newark Airport - Serviced lot or public long term lot?

I will be flying out to FL next month for a golf trip with some buddies and will be flying out from Newark Airport. I plan on putting my car there for the first time and plan on either the airport's long term parking lot (self parking, most likely limited security, and every idiot self parking has the potential of damaging my car and me not knowing about it until i return 4 days later) or in one of the valet parking lots at the airport. Now we all know to avoid valet parking at all costs, however given that this is Newark...........I am extremely worried about parking my car in the airport's general long term lot for several days, worried about theft of parts or outright vandalism, or some idiot damaging my car and driving off and then i'm screwed. With the serviced/valet lots, i assume higher level of security (at least that's what they advertise) and insurance for any damages to the vehicle, i.e. if there is any damage, i know who i can try and collect from!!! There are a couple of valet lots at Newark Airport that have raving reviews (literally 5 out of 5 stars from 230+ reviews) so they can't be all that bad. I'm just hesitant to hand my keys over, however given the alternative of the general airport lot where people can come and go.............this might be a situation where the valet parking lot is the way to go. What would you guys do?

Anyone have any experiences parking at the newark airport for several days? Which did you use, the general long term lot or a valet serviced lot? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 12:38 PM   #2
gds52
Major
20
Rep
1,476
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 328i Convertible
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERdiesel View Post
I will be flying out to FL next month for a golf trip with some buddies and will be flying out from Newark Airport. I plan on putting my car there for the first time and plan on either the airport's long term parking lot (self parking, most likely limited security, and every idiot self parking has the potential of damaging my car and me not knowing about it until i return 4 days later) or in one of the valet parking lots at the airport. Now we all know to avoid valet parking at all costs, however given that this is Newark...........I am extremely worried about parking my car in the airport's general long term lot for several days, worried about theft of parts or outright vandalism, or some idiot damaging my car and driving off and then i'm screwed. With the serviced/valet lots, i assume higher level of security (at least that's what they advertise) and insurance for any damages to the vehicle, i.e. if there is any damage, i know who i can try and collect from!!! There are a couple of valet lots at Newark Airport that have raving reviews (literally 5 out of 5 stars from 230+ reviews) so they can't be all that bad. I'm just hesitant to hand my keys over, however given the alternative of the general airport lot where people can come and go.............this might be a situation where the valet parking lot is the way to go. What would you guys do?

Anyone have any experiences parking at the newark airport for several days? Which did you use, the general long term lot or a valet serviced lot? Thanks.
I never had a problem in private self parking lots around Philly airport, dont know bout Newark.
If you are so worried, I would say, take a cab.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 12:45 PM   #3
ERdiesel
Private First Class
1
Rep
102
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 335i xDrive
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical View Post
It's the same price if not cheaper for a car service.

Not the same price at all. Where I live it will cost about $80 each way when you factor in tolls/tips for a total of about $160 or more versus $45 or so for the serviced parking. But it's not so much the price, it's the convenience of not having to wait on a car and one that has room for my clubs in a travel bag.............Just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with parking at the Newark Airport for several days or if i'm just being a bit paranoid.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 01:02 PM   #4
nyalpine90
Major General
nyalpine90's Avatar
Colombia
96
Rep
9,104
Posts

 
Drives: '15 X3 28i carbon black
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: L.I. & Bklyn

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2012 X3  [3.83]
Send a message via MSN to nyalpine90
i rather pay 160 split the tab with friends instead of a repair on a car which wont cost you 160

any of friends live closer to the airport?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 01:13 PM   #5
wrickem
doesn't really care
wrickem's Avatar
25
Rep
2,302
Posts

 
Drives: what he wants to
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: lambertville nj

iTrader: (0)

I frequently fly out of both Newark and Phily airports and have not had any problems at all (but I am sure I just jinxed myself for next time). I use the long term lots even when I'm only gone overnight because I figure there's less people moving about than in short term or hourly.

I do what I do anywhere... park as far away from other cars as possible but without being the only sitting duck in the area... try for an end slot... don't park next to a hooptie or a mini van or SUV... and hope for the best. Good luck

(or take a car service if youre that worried, the $ may be worth the piece of mind)
__________________
______________________________________________
'14 528-xdrive - daily driver/winter beater, '06 Boxster - for fun, '07 M6- for even more fun.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 01:20 PM   #6
BobS
Lieutenant Colonel
BobS's Avatar
22
Rep
1,721
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Jersey City, NJ

iTrader: (0)

I've never had a issue with long term parking in Newark. The parking lots are hugggge and are rarely filled to capacity. If I were you, I would look for a end spot and park as far away from everyone else as possible. Its only 4 days, you'll be fine.
__________________

Evolve Supercharged E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 01:21 PM   #7
hemi to e90
dat boost doe
hemi to e90's Avatar
Poland
17
Rep
1,552
Posts

 
Drives: 10 335i, 12 a8, 14 899, 10 zr1
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: staten island

iTrader: (1)

ive flown out of newark plenty of times, and ive never had issues parking my benz, bmw, or my audi in the long term lots.

some people are fanatical about where they park, but some of us are more realistic.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 03:22 PM   #8
hemi to e90
dat boost doe
hemi to e90's Avatar
Poland
17
Rep
1,552
Posts

 
Drives: 10 335i, 12 a8, 14 899, 10 zr1
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: staten island

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi to e90
ive flown out of newark plenty of times, and ive never had issues parking my benz, bmw, or my audi in the long term lots.

some people are fanatical about where they park, but some of us are more realistic.
I don't even think my skin tone is dark enough to drive through Newark let alone park.
Lol u realize I do plenty of work in newark?

It's more often amusing than scary
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 03:31 PM   #9
hemi to e90
dat boost doe
hemi to e90's Avatar
Poland
17
Rep
1,552
Posts

 
Drives: 10 335i, 12 a8, 14 899, 10 zr1
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: staten island

iTrader: (1)

I can't see it but he probably stole it.

Ever had a crackhead stop in the middle of the street take a shit, and wave at you with one had while he used the other to wipe?


I have

Then he tried to steal a $90 compressor. Ignoring the $400 nail gun
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 03:44 PM   #10
TommyG@ColemanAutobody
First Lieutenant
TommyG@ColemanAutobody's Avatar
7
Rep
350
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335i sedan 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Coleman Autobody

iTrader: (0)

Park it at my house, take a Town Car for $40 and buy me dinner instead
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 04:45 PM   #11
ERdiesel
Private First Class
1
Rep
102
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 335i xDrive
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Ahhhhh, the Newark stories, someone could write a book on it.

I remember reading on one of the bimmer forums about someone trying to get back home to NYC and wound up at a red light in a shady part of Newark at 2 am or some late hour, and afraid of being stopped in this area of Newark at such a late hour, he decided to run the red light. Well a cop saw him and pulls him over and asks why he ran the light and he tells the cop that he was in fear of his life being stopped in this part of Newark. Cop asks where he's going, and he tells the cop NYC and the cop instead of writing him a ticket tells him to follow him and leads the guy out of Newark. Pretty funny stuff.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 05:08 PM   #12
TommyG@ColemanAutobody
First Lieutenant
TommyG@ColemanAutobody's Avatar
7
Rep
350
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335i sedan 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Coleman Autobody

iTrader: (0)

Ill even put it in the garage and maybe wash it for a Del Frisco's dinner
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 06:38 PM   #13
hemi to e90
dat boost doe
hemi to e90's Avatar
Poland
17
Rep
1,552
Posts

 
Drives: 10 335i, 12 a8, 14 899, 10 zr1
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: staten island

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERdiesel View Post
Ahhhhh, the Newark stories, someone could write a book on it.

I remember reading on one of the bimmer forums about someone trying to get back home to NYC and wound up at a red light in a shady part of Newark at 2 am or some late hour, and afraid of being stopped in this area of Newark at such a late hour, he decided to run the red light. Well a cop saw him and pulls him over and asks why he ran the light and he tells the cop that he was in fear of his life being stopped in this part of Newark. Cop asks where he's going, and he tells the cop NYC and the cop instead of writing him a ticket tells him to follow him and leads the guy out of Newark. Pretty funny stuff.
ahahaha,

i once had a cop pull over my truck, which was tinted to shit and, loud, and on 22s. came up to my window with his hand on his unclipped gun. when he walked up, and saw me his response was "oooo you are white?"

needless to say i was lost in the wrong time of truck and he let me follow him out onto the parkway lol
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 06:40 PM   #14
AddictedToBavarian
My other ride is a Bianchi Infinito
AddictedToBavarian's Avatar
Portugal
38
Rep
2,762
Posts

 
Drives: Miss my E92 but love my E46 M3
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North Jersey

iTrader: (2)

Dude just because Newark can be bad doesn't mean the airport is. The airport is outside of Newark anyway. I was raised in Newark, don't be scurrd man. I would pay the $160 for peace of mind though.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 07:25 PM   #15
Didac
Second Lieutenant
Didac's Avatar
2
Rep
227
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NJ

iTrader: (1)

My house 10 minutes from the airport ..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 09:32 PM   #16
MyE92
El Presidente
MyE92's Avatar
United_States
84
Rep
6,815
Posts

 
Drives: your mom wild.
Join Date: May 2007
Location: NJ

iTrader: (24)

I'm 5 mins from the airport... lol You can pay me to park in it at my house, and I'll drive you to the airport.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 11:47 PM   #17
AddictedToBavarian
My other ride is a Bianchi Infinito
AddictedToBavarian's Avatar
Portugal
38
Rep
2,762
Posts

 
Drives: Miss my E92 but love my E46 M3
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North Jersey

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyE92 View Post
I'm 5 mins from the airport... lol You can pay me to park in it at my house, and I'll drive you to the airport.
Lol yea good idea. I'm 10 minutes away too. What do you say? $30/day.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 09:11 AM   #18
Snkypete
Private
1
Rep
73
Posts

 
Drives: 08 335xi
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
2000 Mustang GT  [0.00]
2008 BMW X5  [0.00]
Short of parking it at someone's house, I've used the Parking Spot a few times successfully and without incident. Reasonable, and the shuttles are every 5 minutes.
__________________
08 335xi, AT, Cobb AP - Custom Tuned by EFILogics
2000 Mustang GT 631rwhp/655rwtq...the show car
http://www.snkypete.com
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 09:51 AM   #19
JV87
JV
JV87's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
207
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 F32 435i
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Newark/Belleville NJ

iTrader: (0)

i work at newark airport never heard problems with those long term parking lots or what ever else
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 01:50 AM   #20
mkv john
Private First Class
mkv john's Avatar
1
Rep
198
Posts

 
Drives: 08' 335xi
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hudson County, NJ

iTrader: (1)

i vote cab!

I left my last car in a lot at newark airport for 2 weeks while i went to west palm beach...

Came back to a crack in my tail light, and a front bumper that was, well, not such a front bumper. Called it in to newark airport, left my name and phone number like 4-5 times, never heard back again.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 08:49 AM   #21
zz328xi
New Member
United_States
2
Rep
25
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 328xi
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Smack in the middle of the hudson valley and catskills. (Albany/Kingston area)

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to zz328xi
Long term parking is good. I travel a lot with work and have never had any issues. Feels a little shady at night but it's not bad. The only thing that's a pain in the ass if finding the correct bus to your long term parking lot.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 08:50 AM   #22
zz328xi
New Member
United_States
2
Rep
25
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 328xi
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Smack in the middle of the hudson valley and catskills. (Albany/Kingston area)

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to zz328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz328xi View Post
Long term parking is good. I travel a lot with work and have never had any issues. Feels a little shady at night but it's not bad. The only thing that's a pain in the ass if finding the correct bus to your long term parking lot.
and if you have problems like the post above, isn't that what insurance is for? Most parking lots, if you read the fine print are not responsible for any damages occured on their sites. So if it looks like a safer placer, it's a mirage
__________________
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:20 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST