E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Still getting a "clunk" sound when braking

02-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #1
Phil G
Dominator of Deep South curvy roads
United_States
Rep

Drives: '07 335i Coupe

Still getting a "clunk" sound when braking

I took my car to my indy BMW shop about a month or two ago to have one strut replaced with a Koni (barely managed to replace the right side, decided I wanted to pay someone to do the other....MAJOR pain in the rear!). The shop owner noticed that my control arm bushing were worn (which is believable, as the car has 84k miles), so he recommended replacing the control arms on both sides (only $10/side more to just replace the whole arm).

The car would make that "clunk" noise when braking before replacing them, however I figured it was due to the worn bushings. However, it still makes that noise! A buddy at work (who also is a BMW enthusiast) said that the clunk could be related to the brake calipers moving ever just so slightly within the pad carriers when braking. He said he has seen this in other Bimmers with floating calipers.

Is this true, or do you think it could be another problem? It does this when braking lightly to moderately at speeds under 40 mph or so, and is more noticeable at lower speeds. Sometimes it clunks as soon as I touch the brakes, sometimes it is a second after. I checked the wheels to see if they shift at all when hitting the brakes (like it would with a worn bushing), and they did not shift at all.

Thanks!

Mods: Koni Sport shocks/struts, Cool Carbon street/track pads, R1Concepts Premium rotors, E46 ZHP shift knob.
Appreciate 0