E90Post

N54Tuning.com

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > i xDrive Suspension

02-16-2012, 03:42 PM   #1
D-Raw
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 335is

i xDrive Suspension

Hey Guys, spring is coming around the corner and I wanted to buy new lowered springs for my car. I drive a 2010 328 with xdrive and to my understanding that I can't just go out and buy springs for the 328 since the awd and 2wd suspension are different? anyway can you guys give me some suggestions on some springs that i can lower my car at the same time give me fairly good comfort? Also would i need to get new shocks?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 09:05 AM   #2
D-Raw
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 335is

Bump
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 01:37 PM   #3
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: JB E92 335i

Paring up an aftermarket spring with more aggressive spring rates will definitely cause your OEM non-sport or sport shocks to wear out over time. This is due to the fact that OEM shocks are simply not meant to handle the more aggressive spring rates. Think of it this way, you're putting a shorter spring with a longer shock body. The shorter springs will cause the shocks to compress to its maximum setting every time you hit a bump due to the longer travel distance. What this can cause is what's known as bump steer and jarring of the ride. This is what for the most part affects ride quality.

With that being said, I would recommend that you go with a coilover system and do it right the first time. The answer is simple; you get what you pay for when it comes to vehicle suspension. As such a crucial component of your vehicle, suspension is definitely something you do not want to cheap out on. A coilover suspension basically gives you a matched lowering spring and shock absorber combination with the added benefit of adjustable ride height and spring rates through a moveable spring perch or perches. Coilovers are to your car's advantage by reducing unsprung mass, increasing suspension travel, and allowing the car to be corner balanced.

The KW V1 XI coilovers will give you the ability to adjust the height of your car with pre-set damping from the engineers at KW. This is perfect for an everyday driver and does still maintain a ride quality that is similar to the OEM Sport Suspension. Itís slightly stiffer and will definitely give you more responsiveness on turns as compared to the OEM setup. You'll also be able to adjust the height (front: 0.6-1.8" / rear: 0.6-1.6") to your liking and you will not be able to do that with springs as they're preset. Here are a couple installed pictures on my customer and fellow forum member 335_MI6's car for you to check out!

[IMG]http://www.**********s.com/images/Products/MISC/M6-Style-Wheels-KW-Variant-3-Coilovers-BMW-E92-2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.**********s.com/images/Products/MISC/M6-Style-Wheels-KW-Variant-3-Coilovers-BMW-E92-3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.**********s.com/images/Products/MISC/M6-Style-Wheels-KW-Variant-3-Coilovers-BMW-E92-1.jpg[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 04:05 PM   #4
vapore0n
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2010 335i

That KW setup looks gorgeous.
I'm now convinced I need a coilover setup

Maybe for next year's tax return
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 06:22 PM   #5
neoduffer
Fast In, Slow Out
United_States
Rep

Drives: 06 E90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I think you'll find more info in the XI section of the forum.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=197