E90Post
 


GetBMWParts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Recoding for Alpine Retrofit into my '10 E90?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-03-2012, 10:02 AM   #23
Exwoodchuck
Private
 
Drives: Yes
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hometown, US

Posts: 83
iTrader: (0)

No I didn't. But a subjective test by me and others says it sounds a whole lot better to our old ears than it did prior to the upgrade.
Exwoodchuck is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2012, 10:33 AM   #24
taibanl
Brigadier General
 
taibanl's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NA

Posts: 3,317
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exwoodchuck View Post
No I didn't. But a subjective test by me and others says it sounds a whole lot better to our old ears than it did prior to the upgrade.
Any idea if the outputs changed from
Speaker to low level?
__________________
taibanl is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2012, 03:04 PM   #25
Exwoodchuck
Private
 
Drives: Yes
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hometown, US

Posts: 83
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
Any idea if the outputs changed from
Speaker to low level?
I would say yes they did -- the CIC module shows it as being coded from Stereo to Hifi.
Exwoodchuck is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2012, 03:56 PM   #26
taibanl
Brigadier General
 
taibanl's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NA

Posts: 3,317
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exwoodchuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
Any idea if the outputs changed from
Speaker to low level?
I would say yes they did -- the CIC module shows it as being coded from Stereo to Hifi.
I see, and you did install the orm retrofit alpine amp? I assume it got much quieter with this?
__________________
taibanl is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-06-2012, 02:44 PM   #27
taibanl
Brigadier General
 
taibanl's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NA

Posts: 3,317
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Getting recoded today, will update
__________________
taibanl is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-06-2012, 03:01 PM   #28
Exwoodchuck
Private
 
Drives: Yes
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hometown, US

Posts: 83
iTrader: (0)

Keep us posted!
Exwoodchuck is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-22-2012, 04:45 PM   #29
spektor75
Private
 
Drives: 2011 AW 328i xdrive
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Thornhill

Posts: 76
iTrader: (1)

anything on the recode?
I just installed my retrofit kit and need to do the coding this week,
not sure on what will work, do you change to hi-fi or +SZMFA
I have a 2011 e90
spektor75 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-22-2012, 05:34 PM   #30
Exwoodchuck
Private
 
Drives: Yes
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hometown, US

Posts: 83
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spektor75 View Post
anything on the recode?
I just installed my retrofit kit and need to do the coding this week,
not sure on what will work, do you change to hi-fi or +SZMFA
I have a 2011 e90
In my car, +676 was added to the VO.
Exwoodchuck is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-22-2012, 08:35 PM   #31
spektor75
Private
 
Drives: 2011 AW 328i xdrive
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Thornhill

Posts: 76
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exwoodchuck View Post
In my car, +676 was added to the VO.
everything running smooth and how it should be?
I was reading your other posts and I cant tell whether everything works well for you or not, issues with the bluetooth? gong?
thanks
spektor75 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-22-2012, 09:38 PM   #32
Exwoodchuck
Private
 
Drives: Yes
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hometown, US

Posts: 83
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spektor75 View Post
everything running smooth and how it should be?
I was reading your other posts and I cant tell whether everything works well for you or not, issues with the bluetooth? gong?
thanks
It sounds fantastic w/ the Alpine upgrade kit! That's the good news.

The bad news is that gong, Bluetooth, Nav voice and PDC (if you have it-- I don't) *will not* have the same volume levels as it did before.
Exwoodchuck is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-23-2012, 12:21 AM   #33
spektor75
Private
 
Drives: 2011 AW 328i xdrive
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Thornhill

Posts: 76
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exwoodchuck View Post
It sounds fantastic w/ the Alpine upgrade kit! That's the good news.

The bad news is that gong, Bluetooth, Nav voice and PDC (if you have it-- I don't) *will not* have the same volume levels as it did before.
Ahh so far mines connected and it sounds pretty good, the treble seems a bit high, but my bluetooth and gong are working fine so i dont know, should i code it?
spektor75 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-23-2012, 10:42 AM   #34
Exwoodchuck
Private
 
Drives: Yes
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hometown, US

Posts: 83
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spektor75 View Post
Ahh so far mines connected and it sounds pretty good, the treble seems a bit high, but my bluetooth and gong are working fine so i dont know, should i code it?
Keep in mind that the head unit's EQ is heavily tweaked to compensate for the lack of tweeters with the 'base/Stereo' system. I thought it sounded great in comparison after I installed the Alpine kit-- night and day difference.

But then I got it coded, and WOW-- its not quite the L7 system, but it's pretty darn close to the H-K in the '10+ E90's.

If you get it coded at this time, your BT and gongs will go quiet-- there is no official fix from BMW on it at this moment. I'd hang on for a bit and see if a few of us who are pushing back to BMW get any satisfaction.
Exwoodchuck is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-23-2012, 10:53 AM   #35
spektor75
Private
 
Drives: 2011 AW 328i xdrive
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Thornhill

Posts: 76
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exwoodchuck View Post
Keep in mind that the head unit's EQ is heavily tweaked to compensate for the lack of tweeters with the 'base/Stereo' system. I thought it sounded great in comparison after I installed the Alpine kit-- night and day difference.

But then I got it coded, and WOW-- its not quite the L7 system, but it's pretty darn close to the H-K in the '10+ E90's.

If you get it coded at this time, your BT and gongs will go quiet-- there is no official fix from BMW on it at this moment. I'd hang on for a bit and see if a few of us who are pushing back to BMW get any satisfaction.
Thanks for the help, I guess Ill just wait to hear what happens ugh was really looking forward to having it done
Please keep us updated woodchuck
spektor75 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2012, 10:27 AM   #36
Exwoodchuck
Private
 
Drives: Yes
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hometown, US

Posts: 83
iTrader: (0)

The dealer has now opened a PUMA case with BMW. Lets hope they can figure this out.
Exwoodchuck is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2012, 06:44 PM   #37
Exwoodchuck
Private
 
Drives: Yes
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hometown, US

Posts: 83
iTrader: (0)

And... we have a response from BMW.

Per BMW, post-03/09 build E90's DO NOT NEED TO BE CODED.

So they want to 'uncode' my Alpine upgrade, removing the 676 from my VO. This will restore the volume of my BT/gongs/nav to their original value. It will also restore the EQ of the head unit. So it will then sound like crap again, but this time with supidly loud gongs (even when turned down all the way) Fannnnn-tastic.

I'm not bringing it back in to get this done. I'd rather find out a way to work out some combo of settings with NCS Expert on my own, or live with it the way it is.

Thanks BMW-- thank you for leaving me (and others) hanging on this one. I'll remember this when it's time to buy a new car.
Exwoodchuck is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2012, 07:04 PM   #38
Imperator
Major
 
Imperator's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 E92 335i
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Plano, Texas

Posts: 1,129
iTrader: (7)

Well at least you got a prompt reply. Are your symptoms limited to low gongs, or is the Bluetooth handsfree phone volume also excessively low?

Did the VO change mute your rear speakers? If not, did you discern a distinct difference before/after the coding?
Imperator is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-29-2012, 06:05 PM   #39
Exwoodchuck
Private
 
Drives: Yes
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hometown, US

Posts: 83
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperator View Post
Well at least you got a prompt reply. Are your symptoms limited to low gongs, or is the Bluetooth handsfree phone volume also excessively low?

Did the VO change mute your rear speakers? If not, did you discern a distinct difference before/after the coding?
Gongs, Bluetooth and Nav voice are all way lower than they should be.

No, rear speakers work just fine! It sounds more 'balanced' post-coding... before it was coded, it seemed like 99% of the sound was coming out of the fronts. Post-coding, it's more like 60% front/40% rear.
Exwoodchuck is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-01-2012, 03:00 AM   #40
ordobane
New Member
 
Drives: 2011 335is
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Dallas

Posts: 20
iTrader: (0)

I just had the Alpine kit installed at the dealer. It sounds much better than the base system, but I am not sure what they did coding wise. Most everything sounds a bit "bright". I have to turn treble down -2 or -3 and bass +1. My gong is stupid loud (even turned as low as it will go). I don't seem to get much sound out of the rear speakers. I have contacted my SA to see what they did.
ordobane is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-01-2012, 03:38 PM   #41
ordobane
New Member
 
Drives: 2011 335is
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Dallas

Posts: 20
iTrader: (0)

It turns out the dealer did no coding. They claim none was necessary.
ordobane is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-01-2012, 05:13 PM   #42
Exwoodchuck
Private
 
Drives: Yes
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hometown, US

Posts: 83
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ordobane View Post
It turns out the dealer did no coding. They claim none was necessary.
Yes, that what it sounds like without it being coded ... coding that BMW says it doesn't need.

Push back on your SA -- tell him that it sounds horrible and the gong is too loud. Make BMW fix it the right way, or remove it and refund your $.
Exwoodchuck is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-01-2012, 08:56 PM   #43
ordobane
New Member
 
Drives: 2011 335is
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Dallas

Posts: 20
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exwoodchuck View Post
Yes, that what it sounds like without it being coded ... coding that BMW says it doesn't need.

Push back on your SA -- tell him that it sounds horrible and the gong is too loud. Make BMW fix it the right way, or remove it and refund your $.
I visited the dealer today and explained my concerns with the sound. They were very receptive and did some more research and "discovered" some Alpine retrofit related coding available for my car. I don't know what that means exactly, but I have an appointment Monday to find out.

I think this is the first kit they have installed and the instructions the installer followed told him that no coding was required.
ordobane is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-02-2012, 01:17 PM   #44
Exwoodchuck
Private
 
Drives: Yes
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hometown, US

Posts: 83
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ordobane View Post
I visited the dealer today and explained my concerns with the sound. They were very receptive and did some more research and "discovered" some Alpine retrofit related coding available for my car. I don't know what that means exactly, but I have an appointment Monday to find out.

I think this is the first kit they have installed and the instructions the installer followed told him that no coding was required.
You'll get coded to 676 then -- and your gongs/BT/PDC/nav volumes will go quiet. And then you'll have the same problem I've got!
Exwoodchuck is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:14 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST