E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Cobb, Camber, and Continentals...

02-25-2012, 08:01 PM   #1
HollowPoints
Private

Drives: 2007 335i

Cobb, Camber, and Continentals...

Took my car in for service, and once on the lift I see this:

My Contis are done, about 12K on them. Alignment was supposedly within spec when wheels/tires were installed (don't have the paperwork/number
$540 later, got 2 new tires to be installed on Monday.

The car is an '07 E90 335, H&R Touring Cup Kit (springs/shocks) 19x10 vmr's, +25 offset, 265/30 Continental Extreme Contact DWs. With my setup, is this type of wear to be expected, or is there something wrong? I don't know whether the issue is the alignment done improperly, or the fact that the aftermarket suspension won't allow the proper (factory)camber settings-am I going to need any additional suspension bits to allow the camber to be dialed in properly? I plan on having the alignment done at the BMW dealer, but I'm hoping to get some input from you guys so that I can get it done right without having to make multiple trips to the shop.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 11:34 PM   #2
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States

Drives: 2007 e90

It seems like its more of a tire/aggressive driving issue. Even the outside of the tire is to the markers after 12k, that's a lot wear.

My shop increased a tad of toe to even out wear from camber. Not sure if it's gonna work, only put about 10k on so far.
      02-26-2012, 07:24 PM   #3
ciomas
Captain
Poland

Drives: M4

my god! that must be the most extreme case I've seen
      02-26-2012, 07:56 PM   #4
achien
AC
Canada

Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

now that's what I called a "bald" tire.

you have some serious negative camber + toe-out settings.
      02-27-2012, 12:25 AM   #5
Chowbow
pew pew

Drives: 三三五i

Garage List
Maybe it's just me but I don't think it's THAT bad really - I mean it's definitely worn and more worn on the inside but not out of this world. 12k miles is not unheard of on a high performance tire, especially on the back of a RWD car. Although it definitely looks like you can dial out some toe or camber to get more even tire wear. Adjusting the rear camber also affects the toe at the same time so you'll have to find a happy medium.
      02-27-2012, 12:38 AM   #6
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States

Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowPoints View Post
Took my car in for service, and once on the lift I see this:

My Contis are done, about 12K on them. Alignment was supposedly within spec when wheels/tires were installed (don't have the paperwork/number
$540 later, got 2 new tires to be installed on Monday.

The car is an '07 E90 335, H&R Touring Cup Kit (springs/shocks) 19x10 vmr's, +25 offset, 265/30 Continental Extreme Contact DWs. With my setup, is this type of wear to be expected, or is there something wrong? I don't know whether the issue is the alignment done improperly, or the fact that the aftermarket suspension won't allow the proper (factory)camber settings-am I going to need any additional suspension bits to allow the camber to be dialed in properly? I plan on having the alignment done at the BMW dealer, but I'm hoping to get some input from you guys so that I can get it done right without having to make multiple trips to the shop.
Anything can knock an alignment out, like a really bad pot hole, or a change in suspension geometry. Did you get the car aligned after you lowered the car?

You want your alignment within spec but the stock settings are rubbish. What is important for tire wear is zero toe.

There is common misconception that camber causes abnormal wear, and although it can when its extremely aggressive, its the toe that causes the problem.

I used to run -2 degrees camber on my last car with 0 toe and after 10K wear was PERFECTLY even.

Regardless of all that you needed new tires even a while ago as you are still on the wear indicators on the outside of the tire.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 01:01 AM   #7
HollowPoints
Private

Drives: 2007 335i

Yes alignment was done when the wheels/tires were installed, supposedly to factory spec. Both tires were worn, right rear being worse of the two. As alluded to n the title, I've been making use of the extra hp the Cobb provides, but my main concern was how uneven the wear.

Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0