E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > dedicated brake pads for track/autoX days

03-06-2012, 03:33 PM   #1
wdlfbio
Captain
Rep

Drives: Z4 35is, 335xi, Chevy 2500Dmax

dedicated brake pads for track/autoX days

How big of a deal is it to have 2 sets of brake pads. The stock set for my DD and then a really good dedicated set for track/autocross days? I will only be doing a few HDPE days each year (5-8 maybe), but I know I'm going to want better braking than what the stocks offer. I'm sure it would be nice to have the best for DD too, but the stocks work fine and I don't need to eat up high dollar track pads buzzing about the freeway.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 04:13 PM   #2
tanginaglaz
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Garage List
I use my stock pads for tracking since I'm just a beginner. It all depends on your skill level. You definitely don't want to DD race pads because of the following reasons:
1. Loud
2. Dust
3. Eats rotors
4. Horrible cold bite
I would also suggest getting different sets of pads for tracking and autox. During autox you need a fairly good cold bite since you don't have the luxury of a warmup lap.

Look in the tracking/autox section, there are plenty of writeups and suggestions.

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 09:05 PM   #3
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90 325i

There are several people who swap out pads and even rotors for track days. I'm using hawk DTC70s. It's extremely abrasive and will eat the stock rotor. I've got racing brake rotors which are slightly thicker and harder. They're a good mach for each other. However, they don't work at all when they're cold. Kinda scary lol!
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0