E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > e91 owners: any easy fix for sqeaking panoramic roof?

03-12-2012, 03:44 PM   #1
CombatNinja
Banned

Drives: e91 328i, e90 328i, e90 335i

e91 owners: any easy fix for sqeaking panoramic roof?

Now that the weather is up above 70 degrees, my panoramic roof is making noise over every bump in the road. This is not helped by the sport package either I'm sure. Are there any seals to lube or condition to help this? It is kind of annoying. I can't figure out why this POS was made standard equipment.
      03-12-2012, 05:18 PM   #2
Wilhelm
Private

Drives: 3281T

Clean the seals around the panels and between the panels with soapy water. Rinse and dry. Then apply Gummi-Pflege, but don't use the built in applicator, use your fingers to cover all surfaces with it.

They don't sell this stuff every where-- I got mine at a BMW dealer, but I think you can get it on amazon or ebay.

The panoramic sunroof is one of the best of many fine features of the E91. Back seat passengers especially love it, never fails to get a good comment.
      03-12-2012, 06:32 PM   #3
CombatNinja
Banned

Thanks for the tip

My wife positively loves the panoramic roof but I think I opened it once since we've had it. Sometimes I slide the fabric panel back on rainy days because I enjoy looking at the little beads of water but that's about the extent of it. I would've gladly saved the $1000 and 50+ pounds if I had been given the option.
      03-12-2012, 07:39 PM   #4
jsunma
Private First Class

Drives: 2008 328iT

OP, you don't say what year your car is, but if it's still under warranty, you might get the dealer to check out the operation of the roof the next time you have to take the car in for some thing or another. On my car (2008), I was bothered by wind whistling/noise (which seems to maybe be the opposite of your problem) and the dealer determined that I had a problem with the gaskets around the roof. They replaced these and reprogrammed (reset) the roof and the problem went entirely away. It's been silent ever since. I too have the sport suspension and drive on rough northeast roads, and I don't get any noises from the sunroof.

Also, come to think of it, there's a couple of threads here about how to reinitialize the roof closing. It may be that yours is closing just slightly off (too tight) and that's the problem. I'd try the reinitialization and see if that changes anything.
      03-12-2012, 07:57 PM   #5
CombatNinja
Banned

Searching for how to reinintalize..

My car is still under warranty but isn't due for service for almost a year. This car is so reliable that I only see my dealer for a yearly oil change.
      03-13-2012, 11:32 AM   #6
Navacellus

Drives: 2007 E91; 1999 E36/8

If memory serves reinitialize is pretty straight forward. Start with the sunroof and the shade closed. Push up on and hold the sunroof button and do not let go until the roof has completed a full cycle. Been a while since i did this but i believe it was a full open/close and then full vent open/close. Total process will take around 30-40 seconds...

In my 2007 I too had wind noises after about a year of ownership and thought the roof was somehow "relaxing" after the car sat overnight. The reinitialize did not help and the seals on the car body were eventually replaced under warranty. The roof has been trouble free after the seal replacement.
Navacellus is offline   United_States