E90Post
 


GT Haus
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Tracking at Infineon in Sonoma!?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-15-2012, 11:43 AM   #1
swinster
Reppin Freakmont in the Bay
swinster's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
73
Posts

 
Drives: bmw 335 sedan
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: east bay

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2007 335i Sedan  [0.00]
Tracking at Infineon in Sonoma!?

Anyone have the scoop on what I need to do to track my car at Infineon in Sonoma??

BTW, i did do a search so don't hate.
__________________
2007 335i TiAG Sedan, Premium PKG, Sport PKG, shifters, 24/7 surveillance, steptronic, K&N drop in filter, 50-35-30 tint, matte black kidney grilles, blacked out amber fronts, debadged, cyba black scoops, cyba black chrome tips, looking for new rims.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 04:47 PM   #2
johnnyboi418
Lieutenant
5
Rep
430
Posts

 
Drives: e90 335i Sedan 09
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NOR CAL

iTrader: (6)

Bump i would be interested in knowing too
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 05:37 PM   #3
wdlfbio
Captain
13
Rep
758
Posts

 
Drives: Z4 35is, 335xi, Chevy 2500Dmax
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Maple Valley, WA

iTrader: (1)

There's a whole tracking forum...
__________________
'08 Alpine white E92 M3 with DTC--Sold
'12 Alpine white E92 335 Xdrive with slush box
'07 Summit white Chevy 2500 HD Duramax/Allison
'12 Alpine white Z4 35is via EuroDelivery June 4th
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 05:43 PM   #4
JDLM
Banned
JDLM's Avatar
United_States
42
Rep
3,278
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335i Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdlfbio View Post
There's a whole tracking forum...

This

http://bit.ly/wQrnMO
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 10:13 PM   #5
mid-corner fun
Major
United_States
15
Rep
1,418
Posts

 
Drives: e92
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NE

iTrader: (4)

Look at the 2nd question in the limp mode sticky above
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 10:22 AM   #6
jbass524
Captain
18
Rep
983
Posts

 
Drives: 1995 E36 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Norcal

iTrader: (2)

Be kind kids. This is what they're looking for:

Infineon's Master Schedule

Not sure if you're a beginner, intermediate or advanced but
NASA, Hooked on Driving and Trackmasters are all groups I've driven with. There is value in all of them with each having their own set of pros and cons.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 05:46 PM   #7
E90Mack
Private
E90Mack's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
69
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335i M-Sport, AT, PPK
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: San Rafael, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 X3 2.5  [0.00]
2011 E90  [3.00]
question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbass524 View Post
Be kind kids. This is what they're looking for:

Infineon's Master Schedule

Not sure if you're a beginner, intermediate or advanced but
NASA, Hooked on Driving and Trackmasters are all groups I've driven with. There is value in all of them with each having their own set of pros and cons.

Any chance that you would give a rundown of your views of the pros and cons of each of these 3? It would be appreciated!!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 06:46 PM   #8
jbass524
Captain
18
Rep
983
Posts

 
Drives: 1995 E36 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Norcal

iTrader: (2)

Nasa isn't great for beginners as they put a ton of cars on the track at once and aren't the best with their safety record. I love them for advanced drivers and they are cheap but track time is limited and, again, lots of cars on the track at once. Instruction ok.

Hooked on Driving is ridiculously expensive for a day of riving and I all I can see is that they buy you lunch.Instruction is ok.

Trackmasters is low key and priced fairly with a good amount o track time. Instruction is hit or miss. I like them the best.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 12:07 AM   #9
The HACK
Garland Operator 7G
The HACK's Avatar
41
Rep
3,483
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2013 Veloster Turbo
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Welcome to Jamaica have a nice day

iTrader: (1)

Sears Point (might as well call it that now since Infineon looses its name sponsorship soon) is NOTORIOUS for eating up cars. It's noob's grave yard. There's so many places to crash and so many walls to hit. If you have limited track experience Thunderhill is a better place to go and a far better place to get your fundamentals down before tackling a track like Sears Point, IMO.

I took on Sears Point after about 20 events and it was still difficult to master. Incredibly fun and challenging, but high on the technical degree of difficulty and high on risk as well.
__________________
Quote:
No way I'd ever take my BMW to the track.
Quote:
Then why do you have $3,000 worth of suspension mods on your car?
Quote:
...
-Overheard at the last B****rfest.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 12:10 AM   #10
E90Mack
Private
E90Mack's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
69
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335i M-Sport, AT, PPK
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: San Rafael, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 X3 2.5  [0.00]
2011 E90  [3.00]
Thanks for all of the input!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 02:43 AM   #11
aus
Major General
117
Rep
7,408
Posts

 
Drives: Odysse
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Sears Point (might as well call it that now since Infineon looses its name sponsorship soon) is NOTORIOUS for eating up cars. It's noob's grave yard. There's so many places to crash and so many walls to hit. If you have limited track experience Thunderhill is a better place to go and a far better place to get your fundamentals down before tackling a track like Sears Point, IMO.

I took on Sears Point after about 20 events and it was still difficult to master. Incredibly fun and challenging, but high on the technical degree of difficulty and high on risk as well.
More technical that Buttonwillow? At least there are very few walls at Buttonwillow.

.
__________________
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 08:59 AM   #12
The HACK
Garland Operator 7G
The HACK's Avatar
41
Rep
3,483
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2013 Veloster Turbo
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Welcome to Jamaica have a nice day

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
More technical that Buttonwillow? At least there are very few walls at Buttonwillow.

.
In my opinion, YES. The huge elevation changes make it more technically challenging. Thunderhill is like that, technical track with a lot of elevation change.
__________________
Quote:
No way I'd ever take my BMW to the track.
Quote:
Then why do you have $3,000 worth of suspension mods on your car?
Quote:
...
-Overheard at the last B****rfest.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 12:20 PM   #13
jbass524
Captain
18
Rep
983
Posts

 
Drives: 1995 E36 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Norcal

iTrader: (2)

Wow HACK. Way to scare people. It doesn't have to be the truth and with good instruction it's a great place to go for a beginner.

OP. Definitely have an instructor and use your head and you'll be fine. Don't use your head and you could have an incident.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 12:25 PM   #14
The HACK
Garland Operator 7G
The HACK's Avatar
41
Rep
3,483
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2013 Veloster Turbo
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Welcome to Jamaica have a nice day

iTrader: (1)

It doesn't have to be if you're well prepared and ready to go with an organization that values safety more than the bottom line, and above all know your limit, but it's still the one track that I have seen more wrecked cars at than any other track here in California.

It's a track you absolutely need to show the utmost respect to, otherwise you're in a lot of trouble.
__________________
Quote:
No way I'd ever take my BMW to the track.
Quote:
Then why do you have $3,000 worth of suspension mods on your car?
Quote:
...
-Overheard at the last B****rfest.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 12:59 PM   #15
jbass524
Captain
18
Rep
983
Posts

 
Drives: 1995 E36 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Norcal

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
It doesn't have to be if you're well prepared and ready to go with an organization that values safety more than the bottom line, and above all know your limit, but it's still the one track that I have seen more wrecked cars at than any other track here in California.

It's a track you absolutely need to show the utmost respect to, otherwise you're in a lot of trouble.
Well I completely agree with that.

OP, Make sure you have good instruction, take your time and drive well within your envelope. Also, have a blast.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 04:53 PM   #16
aus
Major General
117
Rep
7,408
Posts

 
Drives: Odysse
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
In my opinion, YES. The huge elevation changes make it more technically challenging. Thunderhill is like that, technical track with a lot of elevation change.
Damn!!!
Worse than BW and lots of walls.

.
__________________
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."

Last edited by aus; 03-21-2012 at 01:19 AM.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 12:19 PM   #17
swinster
Reppin Freakmont in the Bay
swinster's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
73
Posts

 
Drives: bmw 335 sedan
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: east bay

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2007 335i Sedan  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbass524 View Post
Nasa isn't great for beginners as they put a ton of cars on the track at once and aren't the best with their safety record. I love them for advanced drivers and they are cheap but track time is limited and, again, lots of cars on the track at once. Instruction ok.

Hooked on Driving is ridiculously expensive for a day of riving and I all I can see is that they buy you lunch.Instruction is ok.

Trackmasters is low key and priced fairly with a good amount o track time. Instruction is hit or miss. I like them the best.
THANKS FOR THE INPUT. I APPRECIATE IT
__________________
2007 335i TiAG Sedan, Premium PKG, Sport PKG, shifters, 24/7 surveillance, steptronic, K&N drop in filter, 50-35-30 tint, matte black kidney grilles, blacked out amber fronts, debadged, cyba black scoops, cyba black chrome tips, looking for new rims.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 11:16 AM   #18
meepster
Private First Class
1
Rep
181
Posts

 
Drives: '07 335i
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbass524
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
It doesn't have to be if you're well prepared and ready to go with an organization that values safety more than the bottom line, and above all know your limit, but it's still the one track that I have seen more wrecked cars at than any other track here in California.

It's a track you absolutely need to show the utmost respect to, otherwise you're in a lot of trouble.
Well I completely agree with that.

OP, Make sure you have good instruction, take your time and drive well within your envelope. Also, have a blast.
JBass - what about BMW CCA, do they still run up there? I generally agree with your assessment of NASA, but I think its actually pretty good for beginners given they are really stepping up the safety piece this year wrt the yellow flag dismissals and just generally emphasizing it more. I always thought of it as pretty good for HPDE1, awful for 2 and then pretty good for 3+. The problem with 2 is that you're on track with the 1's and there are like 40+ cars on a very small track. IIRC, no cars lost so far this year in HPDE 1/2...
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 12:15 PM   #19
jbass524
Captain
18
Rep
983
Posts

 
Drives: 1995 E36 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Norcal

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by meepster View Post
JBass - what about BMW CCA, do they still run up there? I generally agree with your assessment of NASA, but I think its actually pretty good for beginners given they are really stepping up the safety piece this year wrt the yellow flag dismissals and just generally emphasizing it more. I always thought of it as pretty good for HPDE1, awful for 2 and then pretty good for 3+. The problem with 2 is that you're on track with the 1's and there are like 40+ cars on a very small track. IIRC, no cars lost so far this year in HPDE 1/2...
Yeah. My experience with NASA is from quite a few years ago.

BMW CCA is great for beginning to intermediate drivers but club politics and economics have almost completely curtailed their HPDE events. I would always recommend them as at least half of your first 10 track days for the instruction and control they emphasize.

Try the Porsche club. They are great and less money but great instruction. I love the Porsche Club.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 05:41 PM   #20
The HACK
Garland Operator 7G
The HACK's Avatar
41
Rep
3,483
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2013 Veloster Turbo
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Welcome to Jamaica have a nice day

iTrader: (1)

Actually BMW CCA is pretty good even if you're an advanced driver. The relatively new A+ program concentrates on the last tenth of speed and is a great bridge to club racing or time trials. Lots of exercises to wring every ounce of speed, including alternate lines, late braking, threshold braking, trail braking, passing in turns, data acquisition, data analysis are all topics you'll cover and it's typically taught by instructors who's had extensive racing background. Some safety rules are still in effect to satisfy the national minimum standards, like having point bys no matter where you pass, but the curriculum is intensive and the drivers are all extremely fast but courteous.

The only issue is they'll only allow students who's been through the BMW CCA program, so if you need some of the advanced skills taught and would like to take the CCA A+ program, you'll have to take at least 2-3 regular CCA schools first.
__________________
Quote:
No way I'd ever take my BMW to the track.
Quote:
Then why do you have $3,000 worth of suspension mods on your car?
Quote:
...
-Overheard at the last B****rfest.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:26 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST