E90Post
 


Bimmer Retrofit
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Who's interested in SS Headers?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-19-2012, 07:51 PM   #23
desertfx41
SSAH
United_States
0
Rep
43
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 328i 6-spd manual
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonIce View Post
Assume headers from VAC would be less than that
Sounds great to me but has anyone tried the MXP units? I searched but found no good information.
__________________
'07 328i 6spd MT - Sport Package - H&R Sport Cup Kit - TMS 10mm/20mm Spacers- AA Tune - K&N - TMS Cross Drilled Rotors - Axxis MM Pads
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #24
LemonIce
Colonel
LemonIce's Avatar
Germany
29
Rep
2,267
Posts

 
Drives: N/A
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: PA

iTrader: (20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM330i View Post
Yes, VAC is doing it.
Wow... that's 3k just for the cf roof?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 10:54 AM   #25
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
TSM330i's Avatar
United_States
74
Rep
3,134
Posts

 
Drives: E90 330i, E86 Z4 3.0si
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chester Springs, PA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
You worried about an aftermarket CF roof screwing up your chassis rigidity? I'd be concerned about that.
No. The sedan chassis is actually more ridged than the coupe from what I've read (race teams running sedans vs. coupes).
There are still steel braces running across the roof regardless of the roof.
__________________
2006 330i, TSM, Black, Sport, JIC Cross Coil-Overs, UUC Sways, 18" Advan RS, Mich PSS 255/265, BMW Electric Steering Wheel, Rogue shifter, M-Tech front, CF emblems, Dinan TB, Intake, exhaust, strut bar, Stoptech BBK, LSD, M3 susp., LUX 5, CF Hood and CSL, Sparco Seats, AA tune, CF Roof
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 05:15 PM   #26
farman
New Member
2
Rep
25
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 328i Sport Package
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachine18 View Post
If they can get me that I would be intrested
+1
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 09:03 AM   #27
Terp1
Private First Class
Terp1's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
189
Posts

 
Drives: '03 VW Jetta GLS 1.8T
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dayton, OH

iTrader: (0)

Somebody needs to step up and do this! Since it would apply across the entire N52 line it could be huge. I recently contacted AA and although they were very friendly and customer service oriented, I don't think it's high on their priority list.
__________________
Future Purchase: 128i M Sport Package, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 11:59 AM   #28
yEBMW
Lieutenant
yEBMW's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
543
Posts

 
Drives: '11 BMW 335i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Florida

iTrader: (18)

Garage List
I'm interested too! Was looking at super sprint headers last night and just had to shake my head at the $2500 price tag. Someone needs to support us, come on. I could get a Supercharger kit for a lil more then $2500, you know.
__________________
U.S. Army Veteran/Iraqi Freedom

11' 335i -M-Sport/LeMans Blue Metallic/Sport/Premium/AT - Current
06' 325i -Base/Arctic Metallic/MT - Retired
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 05:03 PM   #29
TroyDeJ
Banned
18
Rep
984
Posts

 
Drives: around aimlessly
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Long Island

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yEBMW View Post
I'm interested too! Was looking at super sprint headers last night and just had to shake my head at the $2500 price tag. Someone needs to support us, come on. I could get a Supercharger kit for a lil more then $2500, you know.
besides being very questionable the super chargers for the n52 are like 10k!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 08:09 AM   #30
yEBMW
Lieutenant
yEBMW's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
543
Posts

 
Drives: '11 BMW 335i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Florida

iTrader: (18)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyDeJ View Post
besides being very questionable the super chargers for the n52 are like 10k!
Wow that's crazy expensive. But worth it if they were reliable which I don't think they are and if it made good gains.
__________________
U.S. Army Veteran/Iraqi Freedom

11' 335i -M-Sport/LeMans Blue Metallic/Sport/Premium/AT - Current
06' 325i -Base/Arctic Metallic/MT - Retired
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 08:13 AM   #31
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
TSM330i's Avatar
United_States
74
Rep
3,134
Posts

 
Drives: E90 330i, E86 Z4 3.0si
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chester Springs, PA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyDeJ View Post
besides being very questionable the super chargers for the n52 are like 10k!
What supercharger? Where? The only option out there right now is ARMA and they had a catestrophic failure with one of the board members. I would NEVER consider using their product.

Let me approach VAC again to see what their thoughts are.
__________________
2006 330i, TSM, Black, Sport, JIC Cross Coil-Overs, UUC Sways, 18" Advan RS, Mich PSS 255/265, BMW Electric Steering Wheel, Rogue shifter, M-Tech front, CF emblems, Dinan TB, Intake, exhaust, strut bar, Stoptech BBK, LSD, M3 susp., LUX 5, CF Hood and CSL, Sparco Seats, AA tune, CF Roof
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 09:02 AM   #32
Dr.GumbyM.D.
Private First Class
Dr.GumbyM.D.'s Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
150
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 328i
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ann Arbor, MI

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yEBMW View Post
Wow that's crazy expensive. But worth it if they were reliable which I don't think they are and if it made good gains.
It sounds like the one being developed by MMW is sounding pretty solid, but there isn't too much info available yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM330i View Post
What supercharger? Where? The only option out there right now is ARMA and they had a catestrophic failure with one of the board members. I would NEVER consider using their product.

Let me approach VAC again to see what their thoughts are.
Again, with MMW, they've got one in the works, and Gavin from MMW says he won't be creating more/putting them for sale until he's 100% sure they'll be solid and safe (as safe as aftermarket superchargers can be). Everyone is bitching in the thread about more info and release dates and whatnot else, but he just came back that it'll be ready when he feels it's ready. Hopefully (and I believe it's true) he's being straightforward and honest, not just building marketing hype Too bad ARMA had to crap on that one guy, and I'm glad he came here to share his experiences.

For now, N/A is where I'll be (not that I can currently afford to be anywhere else!). Looking forward to seeing gains from headers, tunes, tunes with 3 stage manifold, and other incremental improvements with good return on $ invested (Ha! investment in a car... )
__________________
2009 328i Jet Black with Dakota Brown interior - Nav, heated seats, Premium Package
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 11:56 AM   #33
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
TSM330i's Avatar
United_States
74
Rep
3,134
Posts

 
Drives: E90 330i, E86 Z4 3.0si
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chester Springs, PA

iTrader: (2)

Okay, target price would be $1200 for SS headers, about half of what Supersprint go for.

I realize the coated headers are cheaper, but as an engineer, I know that SS is a superior metal to a coated steel header. I know they have a lifetime guarantee, but what do you do with your car if you have to remove the headers, send them back to MMW to get them recoated? I can't imagine this will be a day or two turnaround. Just MHO.

I checked out the MXP headers on HPF and I'm not sure if they are for the 2006 e90 or e46 330. Don't forget, in 2006 they still made the e46 coupe. MXP website is terrible. I only saw a header for a Subaru!

So we have 7 or 8 that are interested at this point.
__________________
2006 330i, TSM, Black, Sport, JIC Cross Coil-Overs, UUC Sways, 18" Advan RS, Mich PSS 255/265, BMW Electric Steering Wheel, Rogue shifter, M-Tech front, CF emblems, Dinan TB, Intake, exhaust, strut bar, Stoptech BBK, LSD, M3 susp., LUX 5, CF Hood and CSL, Sparco Seats, AA tune, CF Roof
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 01:27 PM   #34
Smooth 330i
Major
Smooth 330i's Avatar
17
Rep
1,063
Posts

 
Drives: Sleepy 330i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: PA

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM330i View Post
Okay, target price would be $1200 for SS headers, about half of what Supersprint go for.

I realize the coated headers are cheaper, but as an engineer, I know that SS is a superior metal to a coated steel header. I know they have a lifetime guarantee, but what do you do with your car if you have to remove the headers, send them back to MMW to get them recoated? I can't imagine this will be a day or two turnaround. Just MHO.

I checked out the MXP headers on HPF and I'm not sure if they are for the 2006 e90 or e46 330. Don't forget, in 2006 they still made the e46 coupe. MXP website is terrible. I only saw a header for a Subaru!

So we have 7 or 8 that are interested at this point.
Definitaly interested. Being an engineer as well, durability + craftsmanship + design analysis = great product and reliability.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 08:46 AM   #35
desertfx41
SSAH
United_States
0
Rep
43
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 328i 6-spd manual
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM330i View Post
I checked out the MXP headers on HPF and I'm not sure if they are for the 2006 e90 or e46 330. Don't forget, in 2006 they still made the e46 coupe. MXP website is terrible. I only saw a header for a Subaru!
Yea, the information on the product is pretty terrible. Scratch that then. Definitely interested in a quality set of headers though.
__________________
'07 328i 6spd MT - Sport Package - H&R Sport Cup Kit - TMS 10mm/20mm Spacers- AA Tune - K&N - TMS Cross Drilled Rotors - Axxis MM Pads
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 10:24 AM   #36
mapleridge
Banned
43
Rep
2,681
Posts

 
Drives: E90 N52 AT
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC

iTrader: (4)

sorry homeboys. Although I believe they will be quality, I don't think I will be able to scratch that dough up.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 07:59 AM   #37
RazRokz.!
Lieutenant
RazRokz.!'s Avatar
8
Rep
582
Posts

 
Drives: 07 JET BLACK BMW 328i
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: BELGIUM

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM330i View Post
Okay, target price would be $1200 for SS headers, about half of what Supersprint go for.

I realize the coated headers are cheaper, but as an engineer, I know that SS is a superior metal to a coated steel header. I know they have a lifetime guarantee, but what do you do with your car if you have to remove the headers, send them back to MMW to get them recoated? I can't imagine this will be a day or two turnaround. Just MHO.

I checked out the MXP headers on HPF and I'm not sure if they are for the 2006 e90 or e46 330. Don't forget, in 2006 they still made the e46 coupe. MXP website is terrible. I only saw a header for a Subaru!

So we have 7 or 8 that are interested at this point.
BUMP it Up.!

Make it nine if your still chatting with them about this. I'm tired of waiting for MMW or Gavin or whatever...
__________________
l-2007 Jet Black E90-l-Heated Seats-l-Injen Short Ram Intake-l-Kicker Audio-l-Tablet Pc Integration-l-19" Avant Garde M310-l-Falken 452-l-Depo Projectors-l-Depo Blacklines-l-M3 Replica Front Bumper-l-Canbus HID Headlights & Foglights-l-20% Tint All Around-l
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 12:14 PM   #38
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
TSM330i's Avatar
United_States
74
Rep
3,134
Posts

 
Drives: E90 330i, E86 Z4 3.0si
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chester Springs, PA

iTrader: (2)

Okay. I spoke to Mike@VAC this morning. We will need 20 people to get them to move foward with the engineering and production. Yes, that is quite a few people, but good/dyno proven products aren't cheap.

VAC works hand-in-hand with Fabspeed. VAC and Fabspeed are known for their quality parts when it comes to headers and exhaust.

Fabspeed will do the majority of the engineering (my car will be the test vehicle). They are in the process of moving their facilities and will be about 10-15 minutes from where I work. They are two months away from completing the move and will be able to start engineering then.
Yes, the same Fabspeed that has performance parts for:
Porsche
Ferrari
Lamborghini
Maserati
Bently
BMW
Mercedes/Kleemann

I do not think we will need anyone to put money up front, but I will check.

Again, the price target will be $1,200, which is very close to their e46 M3 header.
http://store.vacmotorsports.com/vac-...z4m-p2637.aspx

VAC and Fabspeed have been in business for years and aren't going anywhere. You can see how many updates Mike @ VAC makes on the PA/NJ/NY tri-state thread on a weekly basis.

Here are a couple links so you can see the new Fabspeed facility. WOW! This is one of the premiere facilities in the country when it comes to engineering and manufacturing capabilites

http://fabspeed.com/fabspeed_precision.html
http://www.lamborghini-talk.com/vbfo...ns-pics-22865/
__________________
2006 330i, TSM, Black, Sport, JIC Cross Coil-Overs, UUC Sways, 18" Advan RS, Mich PSS 255/265, BMW Electric Steering Wheel, Rogue shifter, M-Tech front, CF emblems, Dinan TB, Intake, exhaust, strut bar, Stoptech BBK, LSD, M3 susp., LUX 5, CF Hood and CSL, Sparco Seats, AA tune, CF Roof
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 12:55 PM   #39
Johnny D
Major
Johnny D's Avatar
19
Rep
1,124
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hot Springs, AR

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [4.58]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM330i View Post
Okay. I spoke to Mike@VAC this morning. We will need 20 people to get them to move foward with the engineering and production. Yes, that is quite a few people, but good/dyno proven products aren't cheap.

VAC works hand-in-hand with Fabspeed. VAC and Fabspeed are known for their quality parts when it comes to headers and exhaust.

Fabspeed will do the majority of the engineering (my car will be the test vehicle). They are in the process of moving their facilities and will be about 10-15 minutes from where I work. They are two months away from completing the move and will be able to start engineering then.
Yes, the same Fabspeed that has performance parts for:
Porsche
Ferrari
Lamborghini
Maserati
Bently
BMW
Mercedes/Kleemann

I do not think we will need anyone to put money up front, but I will check.

Again, the price target will be $1,200, which is very close to their e46 M3 header.
http://store.vacmotorsports.com/vac-...z4m-p2637.aspx

VAC and Fabspeed have been in business for years and aren't going anywhere. You can see how many updates Mike @ VAC makes on the PA/NJ/NY tri-state thread on a weekly basis.

Here are a couple links so you can see the new Fabspeed facility. WOW! This is one of the premiere facilities in the country when it comes to engineering and manufacturing capabilites

http://fabspeed.com/fabspeed_precision.html
http://www.lamborghini-talk.com/vbfo...ns-pics-22865/

I would highly suggest you have someone from VAC step in at this point and take over. You're going to have a headache on your hands if you try and do it all yourself.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 01:26 PM   #40
Brian_VACsales
Captain
Brian_VACsales's Avatar
66
Rep
951
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3 VF Supercharged, 135i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA

iTrader: (0)

Oh, if this happens I will handle everything and be the point person. Rob will be nice enough to let us use his car for the fit - that is huge.

Def need 20 units to make it work financially! Since there are 11ty billion N52 cars out there, I hope we can get 20 guys ready to make it happen.
__________________
Brian Casella
Sales Representative, VAC Motorsports
Office: 215.462.4666 | Fax: 215.462.4667 | Email: brian@vacmotorsports.com
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 12:21 AM   #41
sachal007
Private
0
Rep
61
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 530i
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: san francisco

iTrader: (0)

whats the cost?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 03:36 AM   #42
kiwi29
Team iTouge
kiwi29's Avatar
United_States
35
Rep
2,074
Posts

 
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA

iTrader: (9)

Any discounts? ill be interested but would love to know more specs and whether its going to be ceramic coated (like MMW or just pure ? And how large is the piping gonna be?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I'm going to use a very simple analogy, I hope you'll understand.
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 04:58 AM   #43
AppFan
Private
AppFan's Avatar
1
Rep
74
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 328i
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Charlotte NC

iTrader: (1)

VAC, Im in at that price point assuming it does nothing to screw up my ability to pass state inspections.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Apex View Post
.....it sounds like the PE with a baby seal feather pillow over it.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 06:15 AM   #44
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
TSM330i's Avatar
United_States
74
Rep
3,134
Posts

 
Drives: E90 330i, E86 Z4 3.0si
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chester Springs, PA

iTrader: (2)

Target price is $1,200

They aren't designed yet, so we have no idea of pipe sizes.
The e46 M3 headers have an option for ceramic coating so I don't know why they wouldn't offer that option for the N5X header (it's $335 extra).

I'd imagine you'd have to install a high-flow cat to pass emissions. I'm actually going to be doing just that myself. I'll have them dyno test with and without the cat so we can have a comparison.
__________________
2006 330i, TSM, Black, Sport, JIC Cross Coil-Overs, UUC Sways, 18" Advan RS, Mich PSS 255/265, BMW Electric Steering Wheel, Rogue shifter, M-Tech front, CF emblems, Dinan TB, Intake, exhaust, strut bar, Stoptech BBK, LSD, M3 susp., LUX 5, CF Hood and CSL, Sparco Seats, AA tune, CF Roof
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:59 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST