E90Post

GTB Performance

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Radar Hardwire Install Help!

03-24-2012, 12:15 AM   #1
fmusignac
Private

Drives: 2012 335i Convertible

Radar Hardwire Install Help!

So I have the iRadar from my 2010 370z and just got the hardwire cable in the mail today. I will have to go pick up one of the fuse kits so you can put 2 into one. Can anyone help me figure out that part? Which one to get and how to do it once I do. What voltage fuse do I need? Is it the mini? Im trying to do the harwire to the garage opener or whatever is best.

I appreciate any help!!!
fmusignac is offline   United_States
      03-24-2012, 07:05 AM   #2
cole92
Second Lieutenant

Drives: too much

Send a message via Skype™ to cole92
Once you get the kit, there are two options: Fusebox or power to sunroof. Some choose to go to the fusebox and some hit the power under the map lights.

Personally I dislike the add a fuse because it tends to space out the one side of the fuse and needs to be fixed when you remove the add a fuse.

**EDITED cause i haven't had enough coffee this morning**

Last edited by cole92; 03-24-2012 at 07:29 AM.
      03-24-2012, 07:14 AM   #3
BMW335icoupe
Captain

Drives: 2009 BMW 335i Xdrive Coupe

I am having my 9500ix professionally hardwired Monday but on my 2007 Audi A6 I had used a 2 amp fuse for the radar detector and kept the original fuse from the home link which was a 5 amp in the top slot of the add a fuse. Make sure you get a good ground otherwise it won't work. I learned that the hard way after 1 hour of figuring out what was wrong I noticed that my ground was bad.
      03-24-2012, 01:14 PM   #4
cjmoy

Drives: 2011 335d, 2013 Tiguan

I purchased the mini add a fuse. I just hardwired my V1 last week using the step-by-step I found here:

http://billswebspace.com/BMWe90Radar...stallation.htm

I didn't drill the hole and used the existing Torx bolt to secure my ground. It works great.
      03-25-2012, 11:37 PM   #5
fmusignac
Private

Drives: 2012 335i Convertible

Thanks guys! Appreciate the responses. I did it today. I got the mini ATM from autozone and the hardwire kit from eBay. Total about 15 bucks vs 100 that I payed for hardwiring my last car.

Im having a problem though. After a short drive I added electrical tape to the connection of the hardwiring kit and the fuse tap. Now it will not turn off when I shut off the car completely. The HomeLink will only work with the car on but the radar stays on. I guess I will give it a day or two and see but I would like to hear if anyone has seen anything like this.

I do have a 10 amp fuse for the radar and the 5 that was there previously. They were out of stock of the 1 amp fuses Ive seen recommended in different posts here.

THANKS!
fmusignac is offline   United_States