E90Post
 


Horizon LED
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Car Keeps pulling right after proper alignment setup



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-28-2012, 02:08 PM   #1
Panoz
Lieutenant Colonel
Panoz's Avatar
27
Rep
1,576
Posts

 
Drives: E92 Space Grey 335i ,Aero Kit
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: EU

iTrader: (0)

Car Keeps pulling right after proper alignment setup

Hello Guys,

I'm experiencing a really weird situation as explained on the title for the last 2 years. The car is perfectly aligned , tyres are new but the car keeps pulling to the right (steering wheel slightly turns too).

Let me firstly to comment that my car is now fitted with original OEM M3 19" wheels , Hartge suspension kit (both coilover & springs) and Quaife LSD.
My tyres are Dunlop SP Sport Maxx 225/35 & 255/30

  • Initialy , we thought that it was due to faulty tyre surface...but using 4 different couples of front tyres and noticing that all of them having the same behaviour (exactly the same ) we realized that there was an issue with something else. Possibly the alignment settings were wrong?
  • I checked the alignment settings to 2 different tyre shops...everything seemed to be great (according to BMW specs), so no point looking in that direction.
  • As another attempt resolving the mystery I fitted a full set of other E92-spec 19"wheels (non-M3) and the car was driving fine.
  • So I temporary borrowed a set of M3 Wheels-and-tyres and fitted them as they where (M3 spec tyres) to my car. The car was almost fine so i thought it was my wheels fault...So i removed my tyres fitted them on the M3 wheels but to my surpise , the behaviour transformed to the known situation above...the car was pulling right again.

Whatever i do and despite everything seems to be correct...car is pulling right and its doing it with every tyre i may try.

On the street... right after adjusting the steering wheel to straight line , the car goes straight for 100 meters and then starts pulling right in such a way that it changes a whole lane in 150m. This is especialy intense when you accelarate.


I really cant get it anymore...I'm getting crazy.

Any ideas?

PS- I'm under the impression this issue started right after the installation of the suspension kit...not sure though.
__________________

Procede V4 , Catless DPs, Forge FMIC, Injen Intake, VK Oilcooler, Hartge Quads Exhaust, Modded CDV, Synapse BOV Kit, BMW Performance 335i SSK Kit, P3 vent boost gauge

Space Grey 335i -> See more pics HERE

Last edited by Panoz; 03-28-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 04:02 PM   #2
VSmotorsports
Lieutenant Colonel
VSmotorsports's Avatar
56
Rep
1,633
Posts

 
Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Schaumburg, IL

iTrader: (3)

Send a message via AIM to VSmotorsports
There are a lot of variables that can affect the alignment. What are the alignment specs that your car is set at now?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 05:25 PM   #3
serotoninsteve
Private First Class
1
Rep
110
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Luxemburg

iTrader: (0)

Hello,
your problem comes from the rear,
faulty rear tyre perhaps.
Rears are the only ones to move with the problem.

If you say under acceleration it could be the rear suspension or subframe bushings.
How many miles do you have? Subframe bushings already upgraded?

But I would first swap only the rear tyres

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 05:34 PM   #4
imperial sloth
witty quote
imperial sloth's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
273
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 space grey e92
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (5)

I had a simmilar issue with a stock 335i when I put new tires on. Aligned correctly (according to NTB), but steering wheel was slightly crooked. It turns out the shop did a poor job, and their specs were to wide. I had it re-done twice then finally went to the dealership and problem was solved.
__________________
2010 e92 335i / Space Grey / Coral Red / Sport / AE V2 exhaust / oem black kidney grilles / black lower grilles / m3 spoiler / MTECH steering wheel / oem stainless steel pedals / oem MTECH ebrake / split arm rest / Michelin Pilot SS / gloss black badging /
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 06:18 PM   #5
Panoz
Lieutenant Colonel
Panoz's Avatar
27
Rep
1,576
Posts

 
Drives: E92 Space Grey 335i ,Aero Kit
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: EU

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSmotorsports View Post
There are a lot of variables that can affect the alignment. What are the alignment specs that your car is set at now?
The car is aligned based to the oem specs for 335i m-pack with 19" wheels.

Even though i'm using M3 original wheels (agressive offset) and Hartge suspension kit...maybe the geometry of the car changed so much after these changes so oem alighnment specs are not valid anymore?


Quote:
Originally Posted by serotoninsteve View Post
Hello,
your problem comes from the rear,
faulty rear tyre perhaps.
Rears are the only ones to move with the problem.

If you say under acceleration it could be the rear suspension or subframe bushings.
How many miles do you have? Subframe bushings already upgraded?

But I would first swap only the rear tyres

Good luck
If my tyres were faulty, why would my old ones are doing exacktly the same?

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperial sloth View Post
I had a simmilar issue with a stock 335i when I put new tires on. Aligned correctly (according to NTB), but steering wheel was slightly crooked. It turns out the shop did a poor job, and their specs were to wide. I had it re-done twice then finally went to the dealership and problem was solved.
Its not a shop's poor job. I took it to two different shops and they found settings to be correct (unless they both make wrong).
__________________

Procede V4 , Catless DPs, Forge FMIC, Injen Intake, VK Oilcooler, Hartge Quads Exhaust, Modded CDV, Synapse BOV Kit, BMW Performance 335i SSK Kit, P3 vent boost gauge

Space Grey 335i -> See more pics HERE
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 10:56 AM   #6
vip
Captain
vip's Avatar
United_States
21
Rep
919
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 AW f30 335i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoz View Post
Hello Guys,

I'm experiencing a really weird situation as explained on the title for the last 2 years. The car is perfectly aligned , tyres are new but the car keeps pulling to the right (steering wheel slightly turns too).

Let me firstly to comment that my car is now fitted with original OEM M3 19" wheels , Hartge suspension kit (both coilover & springs) and Quaife LSD.
My tyres are Dunlop SP Sport Maxx 225/35 & 255/30

  • Initialy , we thought that it was due to faulty tyre surface...but using 4 different couples of front tyres and noticing that all of them having the same behaviour (exactly the same ) we realized that there was an issue with something else. Possibly the alignment settings were wrong?
  • I checked the alignment settings to 2 different tyre shops...everything seemed to be great (according to BMW specs), so no point looking in that direction.
  • As another attempt resolving the mystery I fitted a full set of other E92-spec 19"wheels (non-M3) and the car was driving fine.
  • So I temporary borrowed a set of M3 Wheels-and-tyres and fitted them as they where (M3 spec tyres) to my car. The car was almost fine so i thought it was my wheels fault...So i removed my tyres fitted them on the M3 wheels but to my surpise , the behaviour transformed to the known situation above...the car was pulling right again.

Whatever i do and despite everything seems to be correct...car is pulling right and its doing it with every tyre i may try.

On the street... right after adjusting the steering wheel to straight line , the car goes straight for 100 meters and then starts pulling right in such a way that it changes a whole lane in 150m. This is especialy intense when you accelarate.


I really cant get it anymore...I'm getting crazy.

Any ideas?

PS- I'm under the impression this issue started right after the installation of the suspension kit...not sure though.
did you end up figuring out what caused the pull to the right?
__________________
2012 335i (f30) Alpine White, Dakota Black Leather, Sportline, Premium, Technology, HK, Gloss Black Vinyl roof, rails, lower rear bumper and trunklid spoiler, Black Mudflaps F&R, ER 4" catless dp, M Performance Suspension, Ace Alloy Convex Matte Black 20" (20x8.5 et35, 20x10 et40), Falken FK453 (245/35/20, 285/30/20)
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:29 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST