E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Ask a Professional Detailer...

03-28-2012, 07:27 AM   #1563
nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

Garage List
Hi Greg,

Quick question, how should one store their clay bar to keep it like new and prevent it from drying up?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 09:19 AM   #1564
Weaselboy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitehawk View Post
Hi Greg,

Quick question, how should one store their clay bar to keep it like new and prevent it from drying up?
I store mine in a zip-lock bag and that seems to keep the clay fresh.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 10:09 PM   #1565
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanth119 View Post
Hi Greg - getting ready to do the first full detail on my E91 this weekend. As you recommended, will be sealing with the Blackfire Wet Diamond, and then want to try a coat of Poorboys Natty's Paste Wax (Blue) on top. I want to apply the wax with the PC 7427 XP, and I have the black (AKA grey) LC pads. Can you advise on the following, please?

What's the best way to get the paste wax onto the pad, and how much should be used per panel?

What speed should the PC be set to?

How much hand pressure on the PC should be used?

Any other tips for a waxing newb would be helpful. Thanks!
I would suggest a black or blue pad to apply the BFWD. In general paste waxes like the Natty's Blue Paste Wax are meant to be applied by hand. You could try to spread a bit of the wax on the face of the pad I feel you'll waste a lot of time and product. Instead I would just simply recommend applying it by hand or pick up the Poorboy's World Liquid Natty's Blue Wax instead. This liquid wax can be applied by hand or with a buffer and a blue or black pad.

In general I apply sealants and liquid waxes at speed three. No pressure is needed for these products, polishing is the step that requires some pressure. Your goal is to evenly apply a nice thin coating.

If you need more tips don't hesitate to ask questions or check out our detailing guide and our Ask a Pro Blog. Hope this helps!

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 10:14 PM   #1566
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitehawk View Post
Hi Greg,

Store the clay bar in an air tight container like this one - DI Accessories Clay Bar Storage Container. Before sealing it spray the bar with some clay lube and then store it out of direct sun at room temperature. It should be fine if you follow this basic precaution. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to help.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 12:05 AM   #1567
HK8888
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 M3 Coupe  [10.00]
What's the best cleaning/conditioning product for Fox Red leather currently in the market?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 09:42 AM   #1568
1080eyes
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i vert.

Greg,
Great info and thanks.
I just took delivery of a 328i demo. the interior plastic had a couple of spots where the black plastic, had some white "scrape marks" on them. (like what gets on the door sill shoes marks) I tried some interior cleaner I had laying around. Didn't work. What can I use to restore the black in the plastic?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 07:20 AM   #1569
zanth119
Buy the ticket, take the ride!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 330cic, 2012 328ix Wagon

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
I would suggest a black or blue pad to apply the BFWD. In general paste waxes like the Natty's Blue Paste Wax are meant to be applied by hand. You could try to spread a bit of the wax on the face of the pad I feel you'll waste a lot of time and product. Instead I would just simply recommend applying it by hand or pick up the Poorboy's World Liquid Natty's Blue Wax instead. This liquid wax can be applied by hand or with a buffer and a blue or black pad.

In general I apply sealants and liquid waxes at speed three. No pressure is needed for these products, polishing is the step that requires some pressure. Your goal is to evenly apply a nice thin coating.

If you need more tips don't hesitate to ask questions or check out our detailing guide and our Ask a Pro Blog. Hope this helps!

Greg @ DI
Cool, thanks Greg, weather isn't cooperating this weekend, but I'll post up pix when I get her shined up, really appreciate all the advice. Also, thanks for the info on the training, should you guys ever offer in the future keep us posted...
      04-01-2012, 03:58 PM   #1570
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK8888 View Post
What's the best cleaning/conditioning product for Fox Red leather currently in the market?
I personally recommend the Leatherique Prestine Clean and Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil combo. It does a great job of cleaning and conditioning the leather. Use some extra product on older seats and use a bit less to maintain newer seats. Check out this step by step guide if interested in learning more with before and after pics - http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...r-care-how-to/. I hope this helps and I'd be happy to answer any other questions you may have.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 03:59 PM   #1571
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanth119 View Post
Cool, thanks Greg, weather isn't cooperating this weekend, but I'll post up pix when I get her shined up, really appreciate all the advice. Also, thanks for the info on the training, should you guys ever offer in the future keep us posted...
Glad to help and when the weather gets better we hope to hear about your results.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 06:19 AM   #1572
E46toE90
Sparkling Graphite Metallic FTW
Rep
Drives: lci m-sport e90 n55

Great thread thanks for the help !

I have a 2006 e90 with black Dakota leather. It is my daily driver and have alot of oil build up on the seat. My rear seats are extremely dry and seem to throw off a slight white. How can I take care of this ?
      04-06-2012, 11:10 AM   #1573
rogerdiaz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

scuff gloss black grille

This is a whitish paint scuff/scratch on plastic gloss black grille. superficial. caused by some part of a bicycle landing on my car.

Any detailed image products for this issue?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 11:42 AM   #1574
Greg Nichols
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: CAR

From the photos that looks like it went through the paint coat and is showing the primer.....

Have you tried to hand rub the area with a polish to see how it reacts?

Plastic will react differently that paint so go easy as its super easy to twist the paint on platic parts, the edges of the grills are also super thin with paint, so watch them.

I would suggest 105 by hand to see, what polishes do you have?

Cheers,
GREG NICHOLS
      04-06-2012, 03:29 PM   #1575
rogerdiaz
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
From the photos that looks like it went through the paint coat and is showing the primer.....

Have you tried to hand rub the area with a polish to see how it reacts?

Plastic will react differently that paint so go easy as its super easy to twist the paint on platic parts, the edges of the grills are also super thin with paint, so watch them.

I would suggest 105 by hand to see, what polishes do you have?

Cheers,
GREG NICHOLS

I have not tried/own any polishes. only car wash and elbow grease.

by "105" , you mean meguiars 105 polish?

thanks for the assist
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 03:30 PM   #1576
Greg Nichols
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: CAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdiaz View Post
I have not tried/own any polishes. only car wash and elbow grease.

by "105" , you mean meguiars 105 polish?

thanks for the assist
yes, sorry for the jargon.

What polishes do you have right now? Lets try them first.

GREG
      04-07-2012, 03:55 PM   #1577
snowman81
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
So I finally found this page and it has tons of useful info...thanks.
http://www.detailedimage.com/Auto-Detailing-Guide/
I did have one question so far, why the different recommendations for sealant depending on the application? Is the BFWD, not a good idea if applying by hand? I've got lots if reading to do and I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 09:48 AM   #1578
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46toE90 View Post
Great thread thanks for the help !

I have a 2006 e90 with black Dakota leather. It is my daily driver and have alot of oil build up on the seat. My rear seats are extremely dry and seem to throw off a slight white. How can I take care of this ?
Thank you for the inquiry I'd be happy to help! I would highly recommend the Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil followed by the Leatherique Prestine Clean. This combo should help remove any contaminants make the seats feel soft again. If you want some added UV protection the 303 Aerospace Protectant would be a great choice. Just a very light coating should help prevent UV fading. If you have any questions just keep me posted.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 09:53 AM   #1579
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdiaz View Post
This is a whitish paint scuff/scratch on plastic gloss black grille. superficial. caused by some part of a bicycle landing on my car.

Any detailed image products for this issue?
It's hard to say whether that went through the coating or if it's some possible paint transfer from the bike. If it looks like the paint from the bike is on your grill then you may be able to remove with a clay bar and polish. A clay bar will help deep clean the surface and possibly remove some paint transfer. If the marks are through the paint and clear coat then unfortunately it's not going to buff out. You could try polishing with the Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205 and Meguiar's Ultra-Cut Compound M105 but I'm not too optimistic. The plastic parts like this are usually thinner and more fragile so I'm guessing the help of a body shop may be necessary if you want it perfect again. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to help.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 10:02 AM   #1580
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman81 View Post
So I finally found this page and it has tons of useful info...thanks.
http://www.detailedimage.com/Auto-Detailing-Guide/
I did have one question so far, why the different recommendations for sealant depending on the application? Is the BFWD, not a good idea if applying by hand? I've got lots if reading to do and I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.
The BFWD will be fine to use by hand or with a buffer the application makes no difference. We recommend different products just to highlight the different options, all of those sealants can be applied either way. Sorry for any confusion and let me know if you have any other questions.

I'm happy to hear the detailing guide has been so helpful. If you have not already checked it our please be sure to also read our Ask a Pro Blog. Top professional detailers from around the country share their detailing knowledge there!

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 07:23 PM   #1581
snowman81
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Greg, thanks for the info. I see now, what you're talking about. There are several different recommendations and today it seems as though BFWD is under each one which is what I think I'll go with. After seeing one pro detailers review with pics of the silver M3, it was a done deal.
Another question, I know you guys recommend the leatherique, but is that a protectant too or us it just a cleaner/rejuvenator?
Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 12:50 PM   #1582
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman81 View Post
Greg, thanks for the info. I see now, what you're talking about. There are several different recommendations and today it seems as though BFWD is under each one which is what I think I'll go with. After seeing one pro detailers review with pics of the silver M3, it was a done deal.
Another question, I know you guys recommend the leatherique, but is that a protectant too or us it just a cleaner/rejuvenator?
Thanks again.
The Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection is top notch so I'm confident you're going to love it. I'm happy to hear you read Todd's product review of the Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection as well. His detailing works really makes the BFWD look phenomenal.

The Leatherique products don't directly protect the leather, however by conditioning the leather it's less prone to drying and cracking. If you want UV protection try a very fine layer of protection with the 303 Aerospace Protectant. It's what I use on seats, doors, dashboard, console, trim, engine bay, etc. for top notch UV protection and a nice rich appearance. Hope this info helps!

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 01:17 PM   #1583
rogerdiaz
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
It's hard to say whether that went through the coating or if it's some possible paint transfer from the bike. If it looks like the paint from the bike is on your grill then you may be able to remove with a clay bar and polish. A clay bar will help deep clean the surface and possibly remove some paint transfer. If the marks are through the paint and clear coat then unfortunately it's not going to buff out. You could try polishing with the Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205 and Meguiar's Ultra-Cut Compound M105 but I'm not too optimistic. The plastic parts like this are usually thinner and more fragile so I'm guessing the help of a body shop may be necessary if you want it perfect again. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to help.

Greg @ DI
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 02:36 PM   #1584
snowman81
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Greg, thanks for all the info and sorry to be such a PITA. My next issue is figuring out which of the millions of polishes would be suitable for my needs. I've read tons of reviews and tried to narrow some down but I was hoping to get some input from you. I know color doesn't matter much other than the hardness of the clear, but mine is silver and my wife's RDX is a dark grey. The paint is in pretty good condition with both, maybe a medium depth scratch here and there. I've always been a little nervous about cutting in to much. So my goals are minor paint correction at a reasonable price that will not take forever to apply and remove. I plan to borrow a PC from another forum member. I was leaning towards the SSR 2.5 and then SSR 1 based a on cost, but I don't want to sacrifice results. Sorry for the long post again, I typically over think things like this.