E90Post

MINHS Auto Care Center

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England > Has anybody installed TPMS from Tirerack on their OEM wheels?

03-30-2012, 12:04 PM   #1
zybar
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 335i Xdrive

Garage List
Has anybody installed TPMS from Tirerack on their OEM wheels?

I tried to get my wheels, new tires and TPMS installed last night and the installer said that the valve stems were too short and that he couldn't do it. The wheels are the 19" Style 230's that I just purchased from CrimsonIvy35.

I just finished talking with Gary at Tirerack and he says he has sold hundreds of the TPMS packages and not a single one hasn't worked with OEM wheels. While he will gladly take them back and provide a refund, I want to have TPMS working with the new setup.

So either something is unusual or different in regards to the Style 230 wheels (which I doubt) or the installer didn't know what they were doing.

If it is the latter, who did you guys use to install your tires and TPMS? I would want to keep it as close to my location (Holliston, MA) as possible.

It's killing me that I don't yet have the new wheels and tires on my car.

Thanks for all your help.

George
18" Apex ARC-8 wheels + Michelin Pilot Super Sports
18" Apex ARC-7 wheels + Michelin Alpin PA4
zybar is offline   United_States
      03-30-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
virtualbong
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2011 BMW 550i

Hell, I would just go to Eastside Motoring and see if they can quickly do it for you. Where did you go to try to get everything installed?
2005 Acura TSX (Obsidian Black/Black) - PAST
1998 Acura Integra (Black/Black) - PAST
      03-30-2012, 06:00 PM   #3
zybar
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 335i Xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualbong View Post
Hell, I would just go to Eastside Motoring and see if they can quickly do it for you. Where did you go to try to get everything installed?
It was at Costco in Waltham.

Before anybody says that they don't know what they are doing...they had no problem with mounting my snow tires and TPMS on my 17" wheels.

After looking at the video on how to install the TPMS modules on the Tire/Wheel forum (http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=666183) I decided to try this myself and see if the installer was really right.

When I insert the valve stem through the hole (after carefully connecting the valve stem to the Torx valve screw and sensor), there isn't enough thread available on the valve stem to connect the valve stem nut. I even tried just putting the valve stem through by itself and I still can't thread the valve stem nut onto the valve stem.

I am happy to bring the wheels elsewhere, but unless there are some type of adapters or longer valve stems, I can't see how this will work.

I am visiting Brentuning tomorrow and I will ask Bren to take a look to make sure that this isn't a case of stupid user error.

George
18" Apex ARC-8 wheels + Michelin Pilot Super Sports
18" Apex ARC-7 wheels + Michelin Alpin PA4
zybar is offline   United_States