E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > BMW Bluetooth & Windows Mobile

07-11-2007, 11:30 PM   #1
Costa
Second Lieutenant

Drives: E90 325i

BMW Bluetooth & Windows Mobile

Just thought I'd do a quick write up on this topic because there is a lot of noise and very little useful info out about this topic. Also, as the line between phones, pdas cameras etc diminishes, people will be increasingly looking to technologies such as Bluetooth for integration.

I've just bought an XDA Atom Life and it works great with the car. It exchanges contacts and even puts a little "M" or "W" or "H" in brackets alongside each number to identify if it's mobile, work or home.

Prior to buying I did a lot of research because I wanted a phone PDA that would integrate with the car - I love the bluetooth integration in my E90. I asked my salesman, read a lot of articles in Symbian, Windows and others forums, and reached the conclusion that everyone was blaming everyone if bluetooth integration did not work. The other complicating factor is that I knew I would not be able to do a "try before you buy" because I would have to order my pda/phone over the net (no room for error).

In one of the articles in this forum i noticed that someone mentioned the bluetooth profiles - this is what determines if bluetooth devices will exchange information successfully. Thankfully, this person identified that the necessary profiles for a complete connection are:

- Hands free
- Sync
** Object Push

The last one determines whether or not phone contacts are exchanged.

The software in may car is 25.01.01 - that may make some difference, but I recall my brother-in-law was also able to connect to my car with his I-Mate JasJar over a year ago, when i only had version CIP 20 or 19.

The point is that if you go with a windows mobile phone, which has the object push profile and handsfree support, there is a high degree of possibility your phone will integrate properly with your E90/91/92.