E90Post
 


Extreme Power House
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Corona Ring Bulb Upgrade



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-12-2012, 01:36 AM   #1
Big Baldy
Big Bald & Grumpy
United Kingdom
1
Rep
4
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E91 318d Wagon
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Fife, UK

iTrader: (0)

Corona Ring Bulb Upgrade

Good morning all,

This maybe a stupid newbie question but here I go......

I have a 2011 318d Touring with the yellow corona rings and I'd like to know if I can upgrade the bulb that lights them to a nice bright white and what type of bulb it is???

Thanks in advance for any assistance. BB
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 07:56 AM   #2
Dziqsek_
Banned
Poland
4
Rep
413
Posts

 
Drives: e91 320d
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Jelenia Gora ( Lower Silesia )

iTrader: (0)

You have xenons or halogen headlamps ?

Xenons - you need h8 bulb, gp thunder 7500k is the best choice for money

Halogen - you need to buy LED bulb like mtec v3 or lux 5.1 but thats some expensive shit
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
LuxAngelEyes
Banned
United_States
71
Rep
3,086
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 325xi, Sparkling Graphite
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Haven, CT

iTrader: (12)

We offer our LUX Angel Eyes. We offer the LUX H8 V3 for xenon headlights, and the LUX E90 LCI Halogen for Halogen headlights
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 01:23 PM   #4
lee335
Private First Class
United Kingdom
1
Rep
142
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335i M-sport Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: wirral

iTrader: (0)

Buy the MTEC V3 from hids direct. They cost me 100 for my 335i but might be cheaper for your model. Google them. They are super bright and im very happy with them, best 100 ive spent in ages.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 02:11 PM   #5
Whack01
Private
Whack01's Avatar
0
Rep
69
Posts

 
Drives: TBD
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ireland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee335
Buy the MTEC V3 from hids direct. They cost me £100 for my 335i but might be cheaper for your model. Google them. They are super bright and im very happy with them, best £100 ive spent in ages.
Are these suitable for 2009 lci E90 with Halogens also??

Have you any pics of yours fitted?

Cheers
__________________
I can only please one person per day.
Today is NOT your day....
...Tomorrow doesn't look good either!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 02:29 PM   #6
Big Baldy
Big Bald & Grumpy
United Kingdom
1
Rep
4
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E91 318d Wagon
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Fife, UK

iTrader: (0)

Many thanks.

The Mtec's are 69 on Ebay so I may just prise my wallet open and dust off the old debit card.

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 07:10 AM   #7
na51rsh
Private
United Kingdom
1
Rep
94
Posts

 
Drives: E93 2.0i SE
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Essex

iTrader: (0)

Does anyone have any pics with the mtec v3's on their car?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 08:31 AM   #8
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
BanziBarn's Avatar
34
Rep
1,789
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 330D E90 LCI Msport
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whack01 View Post
Are these suitable for 2009 lci E90 with Halogens also??

Have you any pics of yours fitted?

Cheers
I'd be interested too, but I fear that with halogen lights, we're never going to get a really bright-in-the-day halo
__________________
Black 330d E90 LCI M Sport Saloon Auto. Privacy Glass, Cream Leather, 6FL, I-Drive/Nav/Bluetooth, Alpine hifi upgrade.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2148&pictureid=44259
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 09:28 AM   #9
makkan00
Major General
makkan00's Avatar
United Kingdom
122
Rep
7,555
Posts

 
Drives: F10
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Essex

iTrader: (48)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whack01 View Post
Are these suitable for 2009 lci E90 with Halogens also??

Have you any pics of yours fitted?

Cheers
I bought Mtec one hoping that they will fit.
They will fit in Pre-LCI xenon headlight but you will require some alteration if you want to fit them in LCI halogen headlights.

If you want to fit them in LCI halogen lights, you may have to alter male switch on the wires going to halo rings.
Also you will require longer screws to keep them in place, and one of the screw will fit hardly due to the fact that holes on LEDs are at different place compared to LCI headlight.

Due to all that hassle, I returned Mtec ones and bought the kit from Niel@juice.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 09:59 AM   #10
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
BanziBarn's Avatar
34
Rep
1,789
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 330D E90 LCI Msport
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
I bought Mtec one hoping that they will fit.
They will fit in Pre-LCI xenon headlight but you will require some alteration if you want to fit them in LCI halogen headlights.

If you want to fit them in LCI halogen lights, you may have to alter male switch on the wires going to halo rings.
Also you will require longer screws to keep them in place, and one of the screw will fit hardly due to the fact that holes on LEDs are at different place compared to LCI headlight.

Due to all that hassle, I returned Mtec ones and bought the kit from Niel@juice.
What does the kit involve and how bright are they with a halogen set-up?
__________________
Black 330d E90 LCI M Sport Saloon Auto. Privacy Glass, Cream Leather, 6FL, I-Drive/Nav/Bluetooth, Alpine hifi upgrade.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2148&pictureid=44259
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 10:29 AM   #11
makkan00
Major General
makkan00's Avatar
United Kingdom
122
Rep
7,555
Posts

 
Drives: F10
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Essex

iTrader: (48)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanziBarn View Post
What does the kit involve and how bright are they with a halogen set-up?
Which kit are you referring to?
Mtec or Niel's one?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 10:42 AM   #12
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
BanziBarn's Avatar
34
Rep
1,789
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 330D E90 LCI Msport
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Which kit are you referring to?
Mtec or Niel's one?
Sorry, Niel's
__________________
Black 330d E90 LCI M Sport Saloon Auto. Privacy Glass, Cream Leather, 6FL, I-Drive/Nav/Bluetooth, Alpine hifi upgrade.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2148&pictureid=44259
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 11:56 AM   #13
makkan00
Major General
makkan00's Avatar
United Kingdom
122
Rep
7,555
Posts

 
Drives: F10
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Essex

iTrader: (48)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanziBarn View Post
Sorry, Niel's
2 LED, 2 black screws, 2 wiring adapters and screw drivers to complete the job.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 12:42 PM   #14
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
BanziBarn's Avatar
34
Rep
1,789
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 330D E90 LCI Msport
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
2 LED, 2 black screws, 2 wiring adapters and screw drivers to complete the job.
I see. And are they as bright as the ones some BMs now come with as standard? The pic in your Sig looks pretty bright!
__________________
Black 330d E90 LCI M Sport Saloon Auto. Privacy Glass, Cream Leather, 6FL, I-Drive/Nav/Bluetooth, Alpine hifi upgrade.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2148&pictureid=44259
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 01:01 PM   #15
makkan00
Major General
makkan00's Avatar
United Kingdom
122
Rep
7,555
Posts

 
Drives: F10
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Essex

iTrader: (48)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanziBarn View Post
I see. And are they as bright as the ones some BMs now come with as standard? The pic in your Sig looks pretty bright!
Nope they are not as bright as new models.
I will say, they are bright in dark and dull day, but on sunny day, you hardly see them.

I think that is to do more with its designe. I saw posting in American section where brightest LED could hardly transmit the light through halo rings.

If you are happy to modify the wires and change the clips at the end, these LEDs a try as they are 10W each.

I may at some time later try these.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 02:21 AM   #16
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
BanziBarn's Avatar
34
Rep
1,789
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 330D E90 LCI Msport
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Nope they are not as bright as new models.
I will say, they are bright in dark and dull day, but on sunny day, you hardly see them.

I think that is to do more with its designe. I saw posting in American section where brightest LED could hardly transmit the light through halo rings.

If you are happy to modify the wires and change the clips at the end, these LEDs a try as they are 10W each.

I may at some time later try these.
Oh right. Well, I'd be looking for plug and play really, and something that is super bright. I fear this may not ever happen!
__________________
Black 330d E90 LCI M Sport Saloon Auto. Privacy Glass, Cream Leather, 6FL, I-Drive/Nav/Bluetooth, Alpine hifi upgrade.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2148&pictureid=44259
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:14 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST