E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion > Legitimate News sources..?

04-11-2012, 09:54 AM   #23
E90SoFlo
Banned

Drives: E90 335i

Here is all the news I need.

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Still going up.

oh and this

http://gasbuddy.com/gb_gastemperaturemap.aspx

still going up..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 10:42 AM   #24
OldArmy
Lieutenant
United_States

Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotchAndCigar View Post
If you'd bother to look, you'd see that each of these links are merely presenting content; in the case of the last link, it's a segment from The Daily Show where Jon Stewart is quoting Politifact. The other links are either quoting Politifact, Factcheck.org, or (and this is the best one) Fox News. Yes, one of the links presents a compilation of Fox News issued apologies. But you've already made up your mind, right?

It's one thing to put up with the spoonfed bullshit on Fox News, because you idealogically agree with their stance, but it's another to deny the bullshit entirely. It's like the people who don't realize that Stephen Colbert is being sarcastic.
Oh. So you weren't being funny by quoting such thoroughly discredited sources? Woops. Guess I gave you too much credit. Disregard.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 12:20 PM   #25
ScotchAndCigar
Banned
United_States

Drives: 2011 128i space gray vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldArmy View Post
Oh. So you weren't being funny by quoting such thoroughly discredited sources? Woops. Guess I gave you too much credit. Disregard.
I give you no credit, and that turns out to be the way to go - you did not and will not read my reply. That is the textbook definition of ignorant. Of course, I'm not calling you ignorant, just pointing out a behavior.

I'd challenge you to refute ANY of the statements posted in ANY of those links, but that would require you to pull your head out of your...... army helmet.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 08:58 PM   #26
128vertinnoho
Private First Class
United_States

Drives: 2012 128iC

Quote:
I give you no credit, and that turns out to be the way to go - you did not and will not read my reply. That is the textbook definition of ignorant. Of course, I'm not calling you ignorant, just pointing out a behavior.

I'd challenge you to refute ANY of the statements posted in ANY of those links, but that would require you to pull your head out of your...... army helmet.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 03:00 PM   #27
Gamoto
Private First Class

Drives: 08 E93 M3 6MT/13 335ix/ 13 X3/

Last fall, the Culture and Media Institute released “Baptism by Fire,” a study of how ABC, NBC and CBS covered the religion of the Republican primary contenders versus that of Democrat candidates in the 2008 cycle. CMI found that Republicans’ faith was discussed seven times more than Democrats, and their faith was 13 times more likely to be criticized or challenged.

Not surprisingly, the networks gave Barack Obama a near-total pass on his religion. Questions about Barack Obama's pastor, Rev. Jeremiah Wright, surfaced in early in March 2007 and were covered on Fox News and in newspapers, but it took an entire year for any of the networks to mention Wright. Out of 11 mentions of Obama's religion, not one challenged, criticized or took his statements at anything other than face value.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 03:41 PM   #28
mspeasl
Sixties Drag Racer
United_States

Drives: 2011 Cashmere Silver 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamoto View Post
Last fall, the Culture and Media Institute released “Baptism by Fire,” a study of how ABC, NBC and CBS covered the religion of the Republican primary contenders versus that of Democrat candidates in the 2008 cycle. CMI found that Republicans’ faith was discussed seven times more than Democrats, and their faith was 13 times more likely to be criticized or challenged.

Not surprisingly, the networks gave Barack Obama a near-total pass on his religion. Questions about Barack Obama's pastor, Rev. Jeremiah Wright, surfaced in early in March 2007 and were covered on Fox News and in newspapers, but it took an entire year for any of the networks to mention Wright. Out of 11 mentions of Obama's religion, not one challenged, criticized or took his statements at anything other than face value.
AMEN........
1957 - Chevrolet Bel Air 2dr Coupe' Drag Car (2nd Owner since 1964)
1947 - Chevrolet Sport Master Coupe' Street Rod (2nd Owner since 1974)
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 04:27 PM   #29
ScotchAndCigar
Banned
United_States

Quote:
CMI found that Republicans’ faith was discussed seven times more than Democrats, and their faith was 13 times more likely to be criticized or challenged.
Wow, that sounds important, until you think about what that means! Republicans intentionally and voluntarily discuss their own faith, and the faith of others. It's one of the core principles of the new Repub party. And the only criticizing/challenging is done by republicans about republicans! The Protestant repubs criticize the Catholic repubs and Mormon repubs, etc. The dems don't give a rat's ass. Also, it's only the repubs who try to push the tenets and wacky interpretations of their own religions into secular government law, from abortion to gay rights to evolution to stem cell research. Not our fault, not the media's fault. And who's fault is the church sex abuse epidemic? Who's fault is it that Eliot Spitzer, who passed zero tolerance laws against those seeking prostitutes, was the grossest offender of all?
Quote:
Not surprisingly, the networks gave Barack Obama a near-total pass on his religion.
Complete and utter bullshit. He hasn't gotten a pass on anything.

But let's step back for a minute. Joe Lieberman went from being brought-up as a typical contemporary American Jew to becoming orthodox, with all the nuttiness that entails (I have personal experience with this). Yet that generated very little controversy. Then there's all the other Christian candidates and politicians, all OK, right? But Obama's religion has been a continuous subject for 5 or 6 years now. Why? Why did John McCain have to tell his supporters that "Obama's not an Arab"? Why do half of all repubs think he's a Muslim? Did it ever occur to you that the problem is not with the mainstream media, but with nuts like Beck, Hannity, and Limbaugh, who have never, ever questioned the religion of any politician other than Obama?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 04:37 PM   #30
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel
Zimbabwe

Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP

Garage List
2008 E82  [0.00]
Hey Scotch, can you please remind me of something. Which media outlet in the UK is currently being investigated for wiretapping? Is it CBS? Or was that CNN, hmmmm, some kind of animal keeps popping into my mind, was it the NBC peacock, must have been MSNBC? Hmmm...
      04-12-2012, 04:43 PM   #31
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel
Zimbabwe

Garage List
2008 E82  [0.00]
I just read this article, and found it funny in light of this thread:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/art...___113818.html

I think Newt wins this thread:

Quote:
“I think FOX has been for Romney all the way through,” Gingrich said during the private meeting -- to which RealClearPolitics was granted access -- at Wesley College. “In our experience, Callista and I both believe CNN is less biased than FOX this year. We are more likely to get neutral coverage out of CNN than we are of FOX, and we’re more likely to get distortion out of FOX. That’s just a fact.”
      04-12-2012, 08:03 PM   #32
mspeasl
Sixties Drag Racer
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbook View Post
Hey Scotch, can you please remind me of something. Which media outlet in the UK is currently being investigated for wiretapping? Is it CBS? Or was that CNN, hmmmm, some kind of animal keeps popping into my mind, was it the NBC peacock, must have been MSNBC? Hmmm...
Maybe BBC...? Last I checked (years ago) there was only one legal broadcast network in the UK.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 10:32 PM   #33
ScotchAndCigar
Banned
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspeasl View Post
Maybe BBC...? Last I checked (years ago) there was only one legal broadcast network in the UK.
Dude, he's talking about Fox owner Rupert Murdoch, and his newspaper wiretapping scandal. Try catching the news once in a while.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 11:54 PM   #34
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel
Zimbabwe

Garage List
2008 E82  [0.00]
Quote:
Dude, he's talking about Fox owner Rupert Murdoch, and his newspaper wiretapping scandal. Try catching the news once in a while.
I set 'em up, you knock 'em down!!

And let's bring up EXACTLY why they are being investigated. They erased voicemails from a dead girl's phone, so they that could make room for more phone calls to come in, so they could then report on it.

Now that's some fair and balanced reporting.

Last edited by xbook; 04-13-2012 at 09:45 AM.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 02:07 PM   #35
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States

Drives: 2012 MB C300 4matic

Garage List
Quote:

And let's bring up EXACTLY why they are being investigated. They erased voicemails from a dead girl's phone, so they that could make room for more phone calls to come in, so they could then report on it.

Same vermin that owns WSJ. So much for trusting that rag now. Just another Faux News outlet.

"The $0.99 menu was put on this Earth for a good damn reason." -Weebl
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 02:35 PM   #36
mspeasl
Sixties Drag Racer
United_States

Smile "Yellow Journalism"

Quote:
Oh I know what he meant.. But, that's not what he said when he quoted TV networks. Tabloid Print and Broadcast TV in some instance are all "Yellow Journalism". It all depends on the Slant....... (Cardinals win World Series) v's (Rangers lose opportunity)

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed.
If you read the newspaper, you're misinformed." ...Mark Twain

Last edited by mspeasl; 04-14-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #37
mspeasl
Sixties Drag Racer
United_States

Investigate NBC?

Quote:

Then you believe that NBC should also be investigated since they erased part of the 911 Florida tape and reedited it to sound like something it wasn't..? You do agree don't you? I thought so.

Last edited by mspeasl; 04-14-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 05:51 AM   #38
ChaosBroker
Disinformant

Drives: 2013 C300-4M Sport

I know that there are few smart people that believe that one might find some 'news' on TV, but I don't know many of them. Certainly presenting targeted infotainment for maximum profit is not journalism. Similar to packaging up viewpoints for a specific audience, while having an entirely different and parallel agenda, we are given selections to choose for branch manager of this failing experiment. Whether that person bears the R or D designation, He/She is not at the apex of the power structure by a long shot.

As an aside on Fox. They have high ratings, in part, due to the fact that they are a Murdock property, and are included in even the most basic of cable stations, where that is not the case for all of the others. They also set the precedent that 'News' need not be true.

""In February 2003, a Florida Court of Appeals unanimously agreed with an assertion by FOX News that there is no rule against distorting or falsifying the news in the United States. ""

The Lie, in the above case, Monsanto Corporation and BGH contaminated milk. Fox didn't want to piss off Monsanto, another huge corporation, so they collaborated to falsify the story.

There is no real news on TV. That's not what it's there for.
BBC, RT and Al J. are better than the domestic propaganda on US issues, but have to toe their own when it comes to their own domestic issues.
Appreciate 0