E90Post

PYSPEED

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Wow Brakes Pads and Brake Lines - 335d

04-11-2012, 06:29 AM   #1
FPO
Second Lieutenant

Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

Thumbs up Wow Brakes Pads and Brake Lines - 335d

LOL Had some fun the last couple of days trying to hunt down Tonys (E92fan) recommendation for brake lines and brake pads for my e92 335d.

Trying to get hold of a set of Performance Friction Carbon 97 pads looked nigh on impossible after speaking to loads of suppliers as they no longer do that compound for the 335d. Result!

So have had to go for the Performance Friction 08 compound which is supposedly the replacement for the carbon 97.
At 380 from manufacturer for F + R pads they bloody better be good!

Spoke to a couple of other people on getting Goodridge brake lines for my car and one chap came back and said Goodridge dont do Brake lines for the E92 335d? LOL

So I now seemed to have got a set of Goodridge lines for 85 from Rude Racing.

Now the dilema is getting new brake pad sensors for the rear and either a DOT 4 or DOT 5 brake fluid.
Which would be better for someone who doesn't do many track days? Also how much brake fluid is needed to replace existing?

Do all 4 brake pad sensors need replacing if i'm changing the brake pads, its only the rears which are worn out?

As always guys your helpful input is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by FPO; 04-11-2012 at 06:38 AM.
      04-11-2012, 07:10 AM   #2
Mr Singh
Banned

Drives: E91 330D M Sport Auto

There's only 1 sensor for the fronts and 1 for the rear. I believe fluid is 1ltr? may be wrong.. I would go for Motul RBF 600 Dot 4 fluid.
Mr Singh is offline   United Kingdom
      04-11-2012, 07:38 AM   #3
DarkAnt335i
First Lieutenant

Drives: 911 C2S & '118D

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Singh View Post
There's only 1 sensor for the fronts and 1 for the rear. I believe fluid is 1ltr? may be wrong.. I would go for Motul RBF 600 Dot 4 fluid.
+1 for Motul RBF 600
      04-11-2012, 09:05 AM   #4
Yoro35i
TROll

Drives: E92 335I M

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAnt335i View Post
+1 for Motul RBF 600
+1 motul rbf 600 . I also did my research on brake fuild and dot 5 fuild contains silicon which you are suppose to change every few months . Motul dot 4 has the highest boiling point compared to other dot 4's. With dot 4 you won't need to change the oil more often I think people said you can get away every 2 years and a member here said we need 3L to change all the fluid!
MY08 E92 335i M Sport|Hexis wrap by Surrey Project |ETS Intercooler|VSRF Dp's|BMS OCC|BMC filter|CoBB AP tune|Eibach Pro's|EBC Yellow & Coolcarbons rear|Alpina AT Map|Michelin PSS|313 Cmwheels|CF grills,CF mirror,CF Performace spoiler|LCI ligth|CIC controller retrofit|Coming soon:B14 kit
Gone:Forged FMIC, Eisenmann Race Quad, Eisenmann Sport, Duke Dynamic Diffuser.
Yoro35i is offline   United Kingdom
      04-11-2012, 10:52 AM   #5
LS1990
Private

Drives: 07' e92 335i

Sorry to hijack the thread but does anyone know what type of brake fluid should go into astandard ae92 335i, also how much?
      04-11-2012, 01:20 PM   #6
335rocks
Lieutenant

Drives: E92 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPO View Post
Now the dilema is getting new brake pad sensors for the rear and either a DOT 4 or DOT 5 brake fluid.
Which would be better for someone who doesn't do many track days? Also how much brake fluid is needed to replace existing?

Do all 4 brake pad sensors need replacing if i'm changing the brake pads, its only the rears which are worn out?
There are only two brake pad sensors (Front Left and Right Rear), so it depends on what milage you have left on the sensor. Generally you should change the sensor when you change the pads on the axle so you can reset the CBS. However if you are just swapping between track pads and your normal pads then don't bother.

Did the PFC pads come with a slot for the sensor or not? If they didn't then just connect the sensor and tie it up with a zip tie. My BBK don't take a sensor so both the front and rear sensors are just tied up. You can pull the front one into the engine bay so it's out of the way and the rear one is behind the inner wheel arch so that's quite easy to zip tie to the box.

See this DIY for pics of the rear sensor.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=473763

You can purchase a new sensor from the Dealers. There are under 20.
335rocks is offline   United Kingdom
      04-11-2012, 01:27 PM   #7
335rocks
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1990 View Post
Sorry to hijack the thread but does anyone know what type of brake fluid should go into astandard ae92 335i, also how much?
I got a 1L can of BMW Dot 4 fluid here that I never used because I upgraded to AP Racing Formula Dot 5.1 fluid. The BMW part number is 83 13 0 139897. AFAIK, you need around 1.5-2L if you do a full flush of the system. The exact amount really depends on if you are chasing the last tiny air bubble or not. Cost in 2010 was 5+VAT a liter.
      04-12-2012, 05:12 PM   #8
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things

Drives: RS250 CUP

Send a message via MSN to m1bjr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoro35i View Post
+1 motul rbf 600 . I also did my research on brake fuild and dot 5 fuild contains silicon which you are suppose to change every few months . Motul dot 4 has the highest boiling point compared to other dot 4's. With dot 4 you won't need to change the oil more often I think people said you can get away every 2 years and a member here said we need 3L to change all the fluid!
DO NOT USE DOT5 in these cars.

You are quite correct about the silicone, its not the need for frequesnt changes that is the problem though.
Its just not compatible with many modern brake parts and seals.

5.1 is entirely different, and okay to mix with what you have.

But the higher numbers do not even equate to better performance.
As a few have said, look how the boiling point (wet and dry) of Motul's RBF600 excedes most DOT5.1 fluids.

If you are hard on brakes and even only do one track event a year, try the Motul.
And always bleed the brakes after you get home to keep it fresh in the calipers where its been cooked.

04-12-2012, 05:15 PM   #9
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things

Drives: RS250 CUP

Send a message via MSN to m1bjr
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335rocks View Post
There are only two brake pad sensors (Front Left and Right Rear), so it depends on what milage you have left on the sensor. Generally you should change the sensor when you change the pads on the axle so you can reset the CBS. However if you are just swapping between track pads and your normal pads then don't bother.

Did the PFC pads come with a slot for the sensor or not? If they didn't then just connect the sensor and tie it up with a zip tie. My BBK don't take a sensor so both the front and rear sensors are just tied up. You can pull the front one into the engine bay so it's out of the way and the rear one is behind the inner wheel arch so that's quite easy to zip tie to the box.

See this DIY for pics of the rear sensor.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=473763

You can purchase a new sensor from the Dealers. There are under 20.
When you fit your track pads, give them time to deposit onto the rotors, or heat cyle them carefully.
Best performace depends upon getting a good coating of pad onto the discs, and the two types will of course be very different.

Tie the sensor up out of the way until you refit your road pads is a good idea
      04-14-2012, 02:43 AM   #10
FPO
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1bjr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoro35i View Post
DO NOT USE DOT5 in these cars.

You are quite correct about the silicone, its not the need for frequesnt changes that is the problem though.
Its just not compatible with many modern brake parts and seals.

5.1 is entirely different, and okay to mix with what you have.

But the higher numbers do not even equate to better performance.
As a few have said, look how the boiling point (wet and dry) of Motul's RBF600 excedes most DOT5.1 fluids.

If you are hard on brakes and even only do one track event a year, try the Motul.
And always bleed the brakes after you get home to keep it fresh in the calipers where its been cooked.

Thanks everyone. The pads, lines and sensors were fitted yesterday afternoon. The brakes feel a bit tentative at the moment but will get better once they are broken in I'm sure.
How do you bleed you brakes after a hard braking session m1bjr?

I tried breaking the pads in yesterday by doing 60-5mph braking 8/10 times and then allowing the pads to cool. Does this sound about right?
      04-14-2012, 04:06 AM   #11
335rocks
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPO View Post
Thanks everyone. The pads, lines and sensors were fitted yesterday afternoon. The brakes feel a bit tentative at the moment but will get better once they are broken in I'm sure.
How do you bleed you brakes after a hard braking session m1bjr?

I tried breaking the pads in yesterday by doing 60-5mph braking 8/10 times and then allowing the pads to cool. Does this sound about right?
They'll get better once they have fully bedded in and you can see a nice smooth transfer layer onto the disc. New pads always feel like they are not right until you get through the bedding in layer. I normally do about 6 blocks of 5 stops from around 60-70 to about 15-20 letting the brakes cool down a little between each block. The important part here is not to fully stop while doing this and when done let them cool down properly by driving at 50-70 for sometime before parking up. If done right you should see a nice smooth transfer layer across the disc.

Have a look at these links. They are very informative and it's cool to see the pad material being transfered to the disc.

http://www.essexparts.com/learning-c...ds/post/Bed-in

http://www.essexparts.com/learning-center/swapping_pads
      04-16-2012, 06:42 PM   #12
FPO
Second Lieutenant

Quick review then after everything has been installed:

Goodridge Brake Lines fitted!
Motul Brake Fluid Used!
Performance Friction 08 compound Brake Pads fitted!

I was over the moon with everything after the pads braking in period as the new brake setup is phenomenal!

Tried braking hard on empty dual carriage way from 60-0 with a mate timing and did it in 2.6 seconds.
Dont know how this compares to anything else but it definately seemed better than ever before.

ONE PROBLEM though, the front pads do not have clips on them like you get with OEM pads. Whilst not causing any damage, the pads do have a tendancy to wobble a little in the caliper at low speeds creating an annoying clinking sound as you go along.
Sort of like the sound that spurs on cowboy boots make as cowboys walk along.

I spoke to Performance Friction directly and my mechanic. PF said that it is a known thing that occurs on these pads in the 335i/d and M3. As its a track pad, the low speed sound is never really an issue. Can swap if i want to for a lower quality pad.
My mechanic said that they are doing no harm, its just as its a single pot brake system, the brake pads dont fit as snugly as they would do in a twin pot.

So given the option, do i replace for a lower spec pad at the front and have piece and quiet around town, or do i keep the pads on, tolerate the noise and be happy having the best pads possible for the 335d?

What would you do?