E90Post

GT Haus

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E90 rattles: what are yours?

12-31-2011, 02:53 PM   #111

Drives: '08 328i

My rattle is from the passenger side dash and it's maddening

It almost sounds like the windshield itself is creaking whenever I go over small bumps and undulations in the road, especially at low to moderate speeds. I've tried loosening and re-tightening the support struts in the engine compartment and I've checked the a-pillar and lubricated the door seals. Nothing has worked.
      04-13-2012, 03:43 AM   #112
djsniggedy
Captain

Drives: 08 335 coupe

Curious to know if anyone else has a rattle coming from the passenger side dash right where it meets the pillar. I've got one and it drives me crazy. Gone to the dealer 3 times now and they've only made it worse. It seems as though its present whenever the body flexes and sounds like metal rattling around and banging against something. It really drives me insane and want to know if anyone has had this and how they've had it fixed. I'm going to go to the dealer one last time, and then will likely attack it myself.

Also, when I have had a passenger in the car, I've had them press down on that area (the absolute end corner of the pass side dash) and the rattle would go away.
      04-13-2012, 03:55 AM   #113
annasu
Enlisted Member

Drives: qwef

There must have some people can helpe you to solve this problem,good luck.
      04-13-2012, 03:59 AM   #114
BimmerCop
Banned

Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

I have an extremely annoying rattle coming from the front passenger seat every time my wife is sitting there. It's especially bothersome on long trips but usually if I just ignore her, the rattle goes away until a rest area is within a couple of miles. Very irritating rattle indeed.
BimmerCop is offline   United_States
      04-13-2012, 11:45 AM   #115
r3dbimmer89
The Coolest

Drives: 15 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpepper View Post
same thing here. mine is 2 months old, 1300 miles, from the very first miles, a rattle from the back ashtray / AC vents. the most annoying noise I found came from the door's plastics on the right side; there is a small lamp at the very bottom of the door, the entire Plastic/vinyl apparatus seem to be somewhat loos and not tightly attached to the metal part. I had to shove a piece of plastic in between to make the noise stop.
Outrageous findings for a ~ 50k car. Compared to my previous Infiniti G35x- the quality of built/finish of the Bimmer is definitely inferior !!
BP
I def. must disagree. My mother has owned several Infinitis since the 90s and we have always had issues with squeaks and rattles early on. I wouldn't say BMW is significantly better but Infiniti isn't on par with Lexus far as interior squeaks and rattles (and even Lexus has had squeaking issues lately). My buddy has a GTR and that thing squeaks like a 76 Chevy on the inside. Infiniti doesnt cut it with the G37's perception of "luxury car" quality and has never been as good as the IS/A4/3 Series etc. The 3 series cabin is spartan but still has character and that Germanic upscale feel. The G is more of just a regular Nissan's interior with a analog clock and "washi" aluminum trim.

Back to the OP, I have no squeaks in my E90 but I do have that sunroof rattle when it's open and the passenger side window pop when its cooler outside. Sometimes the aluminum trim on the dash pops as well. Nothing too major.
      04-13-2012, 12:19 PM   #116
Whazzup@NJ

Drives: 2012 335i Cv M Sport

LOL. Nice thread.

I have a 2010 535 trading in for a 2012 e93. I am supersensitive and hate rattles, whereas my wife could care less. Her Volvo is a rattle-trap, but is silent to her. My e60 has an annoying rattle coming from the rear console storage/armrest that the dealer has never been able to deal with. There is also a squeak from the driver seat when I takes turns. Again, the dealer has never been able to fix it. Part of the problem was I've never been really persistent in pushing the issue, and now that I am trading it in, I don't care. I'm a little concerned about the e93's hardtop, but I decided to take the plunge anyway.

Even a new Lexus I have has a couple rattles. Their quality control may be slipping a little. An old Lexus I had had no rattles until 80,000 miles.
Whazzup@NJ is offline   United_States
      04-13-2012, 12:36 PM   #117
bmwjunky
Private First Class

Drives: BMW 325XI

Mine squeaks from the rear lol.
      04-13-2012, 02:25 PM   #118
Malbolge
Major General

Drives: TiAg Z4 Coupe 3.0Si

Garage List
Since i started this thread, i've switched to petrol E90.

I can say that it has way less rattles than diesel E90. It's mostly due to less constant shaking car experiences as petrol, because diesel 4 pot is very rattly compared to the smooth six.

now my car has (after 5 years) not many rattles i feel or notice, but it has a silly 20k miles on the clock (yup!). so it's early days, I'm sure the rattles will come back.

I recall most rattles came after my old car had windshield replacement. That started the process.

EDIT: correct that, cupholders rattle like a mother....
      11-08-2013, 12:34 AM   #119
chronos6
Banned

Drives: '11 335xi Le Mans

Garage List
So the only rattle I can't figure out, only one I have is coming from the front driver's window. When I put it down to any level or up to any level its fine, but when I auto close it and it gets to the tippy top, it rattles for a second. When I auto close any other window the rattling isn't there. Anyone know if this is a common issue? I searched the first three pages of the search when I wrote in driver's window rattle and nothing. Found this thread, so I figured I'd write it here.
chronos6 is offline   Poland
      12-03-2013, 06:16 PM   #120
jborchel
Registered

Drives: 09 328i Sport Wagon

Are these chronic rattle problems with all BMW's since 2000? I have a 09 328i SportWagon with 40K miles on it and the interior rattling is driving me nuts. Based on all threads I have read there are too many places to look so that the chances of having ultimate success in damping them is remote.

I'm ready to sell and find a BMW that doesn't have this problem. Did it occur with the series before the E90?
      12-03-2013, 06:24 PM   #121
NormE91
Captain

Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by jborchel
Are these chronic rattle problems with all BMW's since 2000? I have a 09 328i SportWagon with 40K miles on it and the interior rattling is driving me nuts. Based on all threads I have read there are too many places to look so that the chances of having ultimate success in damping them is remote.

I'm ready to sell and find a BMW that doesn't have this problem. Did it occur with the series before the E90?
I have a wagon too, but the only time I notice rattles is when the seats are folded down.
NormE91 is online now   United_States