E90Post
 


European Auto Source
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > have you upgraded from non-sport steering wheel to sport?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-14-2012, 09:49 AM   #1
BAMxi
Lieutenant
BAMxi's Avatar
7
Rep
479
Posts

 
Drives: E90 328xi
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Kansas City, MO

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2007 328xi  [5.00]
have you upgraded from non-sport steering wheel to sport?

Hi! So I know several people have upgraded from the boring, skinny, non-sport steering wheel to a sport wheel of some sort. I'm just wondering how much you ended up spending, and where you ended up sourcing all of the parts. I've been looking for used steering wheels on here, however i'll still have to come up with the sport airbag, and in many cases, the buttons, and/or the airbag bracket. I've seen them on eBay for $300 or so, but I'm not sure if I trust buying one from there. So, I'm basically looking for some advice. How much did you spend on doing this? What wheel did you choose, and do you think it was worth the money? I'm a little torn between upgrading either my wheel (which I touch everyday) or my exhaust (which I hear everyday..or would like to ). Or just spending the money on booze.

Thanks!
__________________
Eibach Pro Kit | 19" Avant Garde M341 | BMS PBX
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 12:38 PM   #2
BAMxi
Lieutenant
BAMxi's Avatar
7
Rep
479
Posts

 
Drives: E90 328xi
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Kansas City, MO

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2007 328xi  [5.00]
Bump! Would you buy an airbag off eBay? Steering wheel vs exhaust vs booze?!
__________________
Eibach Pro Kit | 19" Avant Garde M341 | BMS PBX
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 12:55 PM   #3
JDLM
Banned
JDLM's Avatar
United_States
42
Rep
3,278
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335i Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (4)

300 doesn't seem that bad, I have seen them higher

Also, welcome from another KC member
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 06:48 PM   #4
BAMxi
Lieutenant
BAMxi's Avatar
7
Rep
479
Posts

 
Drives: E90 328xi
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Kansas City, MO

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2007 328xi  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLM View Post
300 doesn't seem that bad, I have seen them higher

Also, welcome from another KC member
Haha thanks, man. I actually remembered stumbling upon the vendor "BMW Steering Wheels" a while back, and started looking at their thread in the vendors section again. I'm now considering getting a custom non-sport wheel from them, so I don't have to go through the hassle of finding an airbag and bracket, buttons, and trim. Plus, I could get a say in the look of the wheel (I'm thinking of going part perforated leather and part smooth like the m-tech wheel, but with the tri color stitching like the m3 wheel).

And I'm pumped to see another KC member on here! What does your car look like? I've got a slightly dropped, pre-LCI, TiAg 328xi on 19 in avant gardes. I don't see too many other modded 3ers around these parts, although I did see another TiAg on 19s with blacklines a few Saturdays ago when leaving the Power and Light district (which I usually avoid on weekends ). I always wave at other bimmers if they look like they're modded at all, so keep an eye out for me!
__________________
Eibach Pro Kit | 19" Avant Garde M341 | BMS PBX
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 08:55 PM   #5
DesiRoc
Kumar
DesiRoc's Avatar
United_States
16
Rep
620
Posts

 
Drives: '09 328i AWD E90
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Wisconsin

iTrader: (2)

Yes, I went from Non-Sport to M-Tech Steering Wheel.

It cost me $700 to do the whole upgrade. Airbag was what made me take the biggest hit.

It was worth the money, HOWEVER, I would have rather shipped my non-sport out to bmwsteeringwheels.com and have them wrap it in perforated leather with extra padding for like 400 rather than buy a whole new wheel, and go through the hassle to finding all the parts.

I didn't know this until after I bought my wheel... not to mention in order to ship my non-sport, I would need a spare wheel for my car. Lol.

In any case, yes, the M-Sport was worth it, BUT if you honestly can live without it, it's not entirely necessary.

I would say if you invest in a wheel, get the performance wheel with alcantara padding.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 09:15 PM   #6
JDLM
Banned
JDLM's Avatar
United_States
42
Rep
3,278
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335i Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMxi View Post
Haha thanks, man. I actually remembered stumbling upon the vendor "BMW Steering Wheels" a while back, and started looking at their thread in the vendors section again. I'm now considering getting a custom non-sport wheel from them, so I don't have to go through the hassle of finding an airbag and bracket, buttons, and trim. Plus, I could get a say in the look of the wheel (I'm thinking of going part perforated leather and part smooth like the m-tech wheel, but with the tri color stitching like the m3 wheel).

And I'm pumped to see another KC member on here! What does your car look like? I've got a slightly dropped, pre-LCI, TiAg 328xi on 19 in avant gardes. I don't see too many other modded 3ers around these parts, although I did see another TiAg on 19s with blacklines a few Saturdays ago when leaving the Power and Light district (which I usually avoid on weekends ). I always wave at other bimmers if they look like they're modded at all, so keep an eye out for me!
AW E90 LCI (soon to have a EU Spec M-Sport front) trying to get new wheels, selling my old ones
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 09:17 PM   #7
BAMxi
Lieutenant
BAMxi's Avatar
7
Rep
479
Posts

 
Drives: E90 328xi
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Kansas City, MO

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2007 328xi  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiRoc
Yes, I went from Non-Sport to M-Tech Steering Wheel.

It cost me $700 to do the whole upgrade. Airbag was what made me take the biggest hit.

It was worth the money, HOWEVER, I would have rather shipped my non-sport out to bmwsteeringwheels.com and have them wrap it in perforated leather with extra padding for like 400 rather than buy a whole new wheel, and go through the hassle to finding all the parts.

I didn't know this until after I bought my wheel... not to mention in order to ship my non-sport, I would need a spare wheel for my car. Lol.

In any case, yes, the M-Sport was worth it, BUT if you honestly can live without it, it's not entirely necessary.

I would say if you invest in a wheel, get the performance wheel with alcantara padding.
Good stuff man, thanks. I PM'd Alex with Helix/BMW Steering Wheels earlier about going with the non-sport option. I am hoping he can do a deposit or core charge on my wheel so I don't have to try to come up with another non-sport wheel for a couple weeks. Or just sell me the whole thing outright and I can worry about selling my old wheel on here or eBay on my own, if he doesn't wanna mess with it.

But at any rate, I'm pretty pumped about it. Ever since driving my buddy's e46 m3, I've wanted the fat wheel, so I hope this works out. I like the alcantra, but I'm worried about it wearing smooth over time, so we'll see.
__________________
Eibach Pro Kit | 19" Avant Garde M341 | BMS PBX
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:37 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST