E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Asia > Hong Kong > JB4 in hk



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-04-2012, 01:58 PM   #1
barton2002
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 ZCP M3 Frozen Grey
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bath & Hong Kong

Posts: 254
iTrader: (0)

JB4 in hk

Hey guysss

I have installed the JB4 myself lk few months ago. However, since the firmware is nt the update-est version, can anyone suggest me a good garage to go for an update, someone who knws wt he is doing?

Cus I really cant b bothered to do all these myself ag.

Thanksss
barton2002 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      04-05-2012, 10:03 PM   #2
madmaxhk
Private
 
Drives: BMW 135i 08
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 66
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton2002 View Post
Hey guysss

I have installed the JB4 myself lk few months ago. However, since the firmware is nt the update-est version, can anyone suggest me a good garage to go for an update, someone who knws wt he is doing?

Cus I really cant b bothered to do all these myself ag.

Thanksss
You don't need a garage for updating the firmware for you JB4, all you need is the USB cable from Burger tunning. download the firmware and update it by yourself.
madmaxhk is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-06-2012, 12:55 AM   #3
barton2002
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 ZCP M3 Frozen Grey
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bath & Hong Kong

Posts: 254
iTrader: (0)

hi max
yes, i understand.. but I have to remove all the stuffs before i can reach the jb4. as i didnt put the cable through into the passenger's draw....
barton2002 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      04-06-2012, 12:56 AM   #4
barton2002
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 ZCP M3 Frozen Grey
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bath & Hong Kong

Posts: 254
iTrader: (0)

AND i believe tht I have lost the CABLE1!!!!! damnnnn!!!
can I borrow urs if u have one... =v= I will buy u a sweet soup. haha
barton2002 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      04-07-2012, 09:13 PM   #5
madmaxhk
Private
 
Drives: BMW 135i 08
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 66
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton2002 View Post
AND i believe tht I have lost the CABLE1!!!!! damnnnn!!!
can I borrow urs if u have one... =v= I will buy u a sweet soup. haha
Sorry, I sold my JB4.
madmaxhk is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-08-2012, 04:28 AM   #6
tropical335i
Private First Class
 
tropical335i's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i LCI MSPORT
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: mauritius

Posts: 101
iTrader: (0)

The cable is a normal USB cable which u can buy from any computer shop in MONGKOK Computer Centre or Golden Arcade in Sham Sui Po.only thing is that u now have to get access to the JB4 again to plug one end of the cable.Good Luck.
tropical335i is offline   Mauritius
0
Reply With Quote
      04-08-2012, 12:34 PM   #7
ntasia2000
Private
 
Drives: 335
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: HK

Posts: 94
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical328i
The cable is a normal USB cable which u can buy from any computer shop in MONGKOK Computer Centre or Golden Arcade in Sham Sui Po.only thing is that u now have to get access to the JB4 again to plug one end of the cable.Good Luck.
Really a normal cable??!!
The burger website mentions it doesn't a normal rs232 and USB cable so that I m not dare to try
ntasia2000 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-09-2012, 04:21 AM   #8
luster
Major
 
Drives: e90, e88
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sydney AU, NJ US, TST HK

Posts: 1,096
iTrader: (21)

It's just standard rs232 to USB.
luster is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-10-2012, 12:00 PM   #9
barton2002
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 ZCP M3 Frozen Grey
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bath & Hong Kong

Posts: 254
iTrader: (0)

reeeli? I asked terry as well. He said the plug n the voltage is tailor made :S n ended up i bought one... soon i will jus find a random garage n get them to route the usb cable thru n i will do the rest myself :P time to mess abt =,=
barton2002 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      04-14-2012, 10:42 PM   #10
Laguna Seca Blue
Captain
 
Laguna Seca Blue's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: California

Posts: 817
iTrader: (0)

While you're trying to get to your JB4 to plug in the USB cable, I would suggest taking it out completely. The JB4 doesn't control ignition timing and relies on the factory ECU's knock sensor to prevent misfires. I would read the N54/N55 forums carefully before making a decision that could potentially damage your engine in the long-run. Hong Kong's hot weather is not a good environment to rely on the factory's DME to prevent knocking. There are numerous logs showing that timing goes all over the place when it gets hot, even with the stock tune. Once you double the boost, you're looking at causing uneven detonation under load which will basically cause your engine to wear out prematurely. Read this:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=493245

I would go for with Shiv's tune, the Procede V5. That's what I'm doing after spending a lot time reading. Also, they have the the only single turbo application for the N54 which shoud put out well over 700 whp in final form
__________________
E92 335i 6MT | Balloon White | Black Dakota Leather
PROcede Rev3 V5 | AE Quad Exhaust | BMW Performance Short Shift Kit | Gunmetal 19" M3 GTS Wheels | BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 | AST 4100 Coilovers | Swift Springs F:280 R:560 | ER Charge Pipe | Tial Blue BOV | VRSF 3" Downpipes | VRSF 7" Intercooler

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=782212

Last edited by Laguna Seca Blue; 04-14-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Laguna Seca Blue is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-15-2012, 05:59 AM   #11
barton2002
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 ZCP M3 Frozen Grey
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bath & Hong Kong

Posts: 254
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laguna Seca Blue View Post
While you're trying to get to your JB4 to plug in the USB cable, I would suggest taking it out completely. The JB4 doesn't control ignition timing and relies on the factory ECU's knock sensor to prevent misfires. I would read the N54/N55 forums carefully before making a decision that could potentially damage your engine in the long-run. Hong Kong's hot weather is not a good environment to rely on the factory's DME to prevent knocking. There are numerous logs showing that timing goes all over the place when it gets hot, even with the stock tune. Once you double the boost, you're looking at causing uneven detonation under load which will basically cause your engine to wear out prematurely. Read this:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=493245

I would go for with Shiv's tune, the Procede V5. That's what I'm doing after spending a lot time reading. Also, they have the the only single turbo application for the N54 which shoud put out well over 700 whp in final form
hey bro,

thanks for letting me know about that. However, its a bit hard to understand.. haha! so is there a way to deal with this ignition problem?? it is true tht sometimes my car is a beast!!! n sometimes, its slow... so what can i do to make it better???

thxx
barton2002 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      04-15-2012, 06:27 AM   #12
barton2002
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 ZCP M3 Frozen Grey
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bath & Hong Kong

Posts: 254
iTrader: (0)

and how does procede v5 differ from jb4 in terms of ignition timing
barton2002 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      04-16-2012, 02:44 AM   #13
Laguna Seca Blue
Captain
 
Laguna Seca Blue's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: California

Posts: 817
iTrader: (0)

Haha, yes the OP's explanation is a little bit hard to understand. In the first line, he mentions that "another thread" has gone on for over 1000 posts and provides a link. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=491784 It was only after i read through the first 4-5 pages i began to understand some of the concepts he's talking about. I would suggest doing the same.

The Procede uses CPS offsetting (crankshaft position sensor) to reduce the targeted ignition curve by a number of degrees dynamically. Other tunes (Cobb, GIAC) do so by rewriting the timing curve manually to the intended levels of load/boost. While the Cobb and GIAC's method works, they have to be a little bit more conservative because conditions change depending on octane, oxygen levels, and ambient temperates. Therefore the only way to effectively control ignition timing is to do so dynamically like the Procede.

JuiceBox products received a lot of flack for neglecting this key feature on their tune, and I know Terry released some kind of stand-alone product that apparently makes an attempt to control Ignition Timing. However, from what i've read it is not advanced as the Procede or even Cobb and GIAC. If i were you, I would just sell the JB4 and start over with the Procede. Burger Tuning does a great job at marketing their products, and from what i understand they have great after sales service. However, the facts have shown that they make an inferior product.
__________________
E92 335i 6MT | Balloon White | Black Dakota Leather
PROcede Rev3 V5 | AE Quad Exhaust | BMW Performance Short Shift Kit | Gunmetal 19" M3 GTS Wheels | BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 | AST 4100 Coilovers | Swift Springs F:280 R:560 | ER Charge Pipe | Tial Blue BOV | VRSF 3" Downpipes | VRSF 7" Intercooler

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=782212
Laguna Seca Blue is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-16-2012, 02:48 AM   #14
Laguna Seca Blue
Captain
 
Laguna Seca Blue's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: California

Posts: 817
iTrader: (0)

Also, when are you guys going to have your next Sunday Morning Drive? I just picked up my 335i last week, and i really want to meet you all
__________________
E92 335i 6MT | Balloon White | Black Dakota Leather
PROcede Rev3 V5 | AE Quad Exhaust | BMW Performance Short Shift Kit | Gunmetal 19" M3 GTS Wheels | BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 | AST 4100 Coilovers | Swift Springs F:280 R:560 | ER Charge Pipe | Tial Blue BOV | VRSF 3" Downpipes | VRSF 7" Intercooler

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=782212
Laguna Seca Blue is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-16-2012, 08:28 AM   #15
barton2002
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 ZCP M3 Frozen Grey
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bath & Hong Kong

Posts: 254
iTrader: (0)

errrrr.... omg. i thought jb4 was reeeli good.... so i have it start it ag then ? shall i reeeli go for procede v5....? anyone? more input?
barton2002 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      04-16-2012, 10:40 AM   #16
Laguna Seca Blue
Captain
 
Laguna Seca Blue's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: California

Posts: 817
iTrader: (0)

Don't feel too bad, you should be able to sell it quite easily. Unfortunately, HP gains don't tell the whole story. There is a right way to make power and a wrong way.

Reading the N54 forums is actually very interesting. It's part technical and part soap-opera. For example, if you dig deep enough you'll learn that Terry was banned from E90post for repeatedly attempting to sell his product without being a supporting vendor. You can look it up, his username was Terry335. From what I understand, he basically learnt how to tune cars on this forum and then started selling a slipshod product for less than US$100. He has maintained his position as the price leader, and his product has improved tremendously. However there are still gaping holes in his knowledge as evidenced by this ignition timing issue.

I'm getting the Procede because I believe Shiv is the real innovator on this platform. Again, if you look back at the beginning days of E90post, he has been at the forefront of all the development. Other tuners have adapted his innovations. Today, he continues to be ahead of the curve. Vishnu is the only shop that's been able to stuff a big single turbo in the N54 and make it work seamlessly. He did it in 3 months. HPF have been trying for almost 3 years!

As to whether V5 is the best tune out there, from the reviews I've read it definitely seems that way. Cobb is easier to install, but I think another HK member, "slimer777?" Recently compared the two and preferred the more linear power curve of the Procede. Also, I think he was running V4...V5 is on another level apparently.

I hope that helps If anyone else wants to recommend an alternative, I'd love to hear your opinion. I'm here to learn
__________________
E92 335i 6MT | Balloon White | Black Dakota Leather
PROcede Rev3 V5 | AE Quad Exhaust | BMW Performance Short Shift Kit | Gunmetal 19" M3 GTS Wheels | BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 | AST 4100 Coilovers | Swift Springs F:280 R:560 | ER Charge Pipe | Tial Blue BOV | VRSF 3" Downpipes | VRSF 7" Intercooler

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=782212
Laguna Seca Blue is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-17-2012, 12:05 AM   #17
ruthless
New Member
 
Drives: 325i LCI
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: HK

Posts: 24
iTrader: (0)

LMAO.... another hear-say story!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laguna Seca Blue View Post
Don't feel too bad, you should be able to sell it quite easily. Unfortunately, HP gains don't tell the whole story. There is a right way to make power and a wrong way.

Reading the N54 forums is actually very interesting. It's part technical and part soap-opera. For example, if you dig deep enough you'll learn that Terry was banned from E90post for repeatedly attempting to sell his product without being a supporting vendor. You can look it up, his username was Terry335. From what I understand, he basically learnt how to tune cars on this forum and then started selling a slipshod product for less than US$100. He has maintained his position as the price leader, and his product has improved tremendously. However there are still gaping holes in his knowledge as evidenced by this ignition timing issue.

I'm getting the Procede because I believe Shiv is the real innovator on this platform. Again, if you look back at the beginning days of E90post, he has been at the forefront of all the development. Other tuners have adapted his innovations. Today, he continues to be ahead of the curve. Vishnu is the only shop that's been able to stuff a big single turbo in the N54 and make it work seamlessly. He did it in 3 months. HPF have been trying for almost 3 years!

As to whether V5 is the best tune out there, from the reviews I've read it definitely seems that way. Cobb is easier to install, but I think another HK member, "slimer777?" Recently compared the two and preferred the more linear power curve of the Procede. Also, I think he was running V4...V5 is on another level apparently.

I hope that helps If anyone else wants to recommend an alternative, I'd love to hear your opinion. I'm here to learn
ruthless is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-17-2012, 03:53 AM   #18
Laguna Seca Blue
Captain
 
Laguna Seca Blue's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: California

Posts: 817
iTrader: (0)

ruthless - perhaps you should look up the definition of hear-say. I'm giving barton facts based on reading the N54 forums top to bottom. If you have anything constructive to say, go ahead...

Edit - It also looks like you have a BMS product installed in your car...what a surprise. For the record, I don't have a tune, never tried one, and I haven't purchased one yet. I'm trying to decide which one's best.
__________________
E92 335i 6MT | Balloon White | Black Dakota Leather
PROcede Rev3 V5 | AE Quad Exhaust | BMW Performance Short Shift Kit | Gunmetal 19" M3 GTS Wheels | BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 | AST 4100 Coilovers | Swift Springs F:280 R:560 | ER Charge Pipe | Tial Blue BOV | VRSF 3" Downpipes | VRSF 7" Intercooler

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=782212

Last edited by Laguna Seca Blue; 04-17-2012 at 04:04 AM.
Laguna Seca Blue is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2012, 04:37 AM   #19
ruthless
New Member
 
Drives: 325i LCI
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: HK

Posts: 24
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laguna Seca Blue View Post
ruthless - perhaps you should look up the definition of hear-say. I'm giving barton facts based on reading the N54 forums top to bottom. If you have anything constructive to say, go ahead...

Edit - It also looks like you have a BMS product installed in your car...what a surprise. For the record, I don't have a tune, never tried one, and I haven't purchased one yet. I'm trying to decide which one's best.
ROTFL!!!!! Read up on more posts from the bottom to the top, and I believe you'll become a bmw specialist very very soon!
ruthless is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2012, 12:48 PM   #20
Laguna Seca Blue
Captain
 
Laguna Seca Blue's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: California

Posts: 817
iTrader: (0)

That's what I thought, nothing constructive to say.
Laguna Seca Blue is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:45 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST