E90Post
 


TNT Racewerks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Turner Motorsport N52 ECU Flash



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-18-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
imal8apexer
New Member
 
Drives: 2006 BMW 330XI
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: MD

Posts: 5
iTrader: (0)

Turner Motorsport N52 ECU Flash

Hi All,

I have an 06 330XI with the N52 and am thinking over getting the Turner ECU flash. Has anyone done this mod? If so, I would love to hear from you. I have poured over the previous ECU flash posts and wasn't able to find anyone that had one.

To save everyone's time and to prevent this thread from ending up where many seem to go:

1) I don't want a 335...Great cars but it took me me forever to find the car I have now with the options and color I wanted. It is also low mileage, paid off and in excellent condition.

2) I know that the N52 motor is tuned to a couple of inches of max performance from the factory.

3) If the you can get 15HP out this it seems like a good deal. $27/hp isn't bad in my book for an NA mod.

Thanks in advance!
__________________
2006 BMW 330XI - Alpine White, Sport Package, 6-speed
2009 BMW X5 35d
imal8apexer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-18-2012, 06:18 PM   #2
ndog14
Banned
 
Drives: E90 328xi 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Posts: 1,746
iTrader: (0)

You won't get 15HP out of that. What that ECU does is make the minimum octane rating for the N52 as 91. Also, that 15HP it promises is with the air intake it comes with. And that air intake isn't a cold air intake. I have not seen a reasonably priced cold air intake for the N52. What those air intakes do is pull in hot air from the engine bay. You're better off with a DAS scoops, K&N filter, and a charcoal filter.
ndog14 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-18-2012, 09:44 PM   #3
imal8apexer
New Member
 
Drives: 2006 BMW 330XI
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: MD

Posts: 5
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndog14 View Post
You won't get 15HP out of that. What that ECU does is make the minimum octane rating for the N52 as 91. Also, that 15HP it promises is with the air intake it comes with. And that air intake isn't a cold air intake. I have not seen a reasonably priced cold air intake for the N52. What those air intakes do is pull in hot air from the engine bay. You're better off with a DAS scoops, K&N filter, and a charcoal filter.
Thanks NDOG, That is great info on the intake setup. The TMS kit that I was looking at quoted 15hp/and 12 ft-lb without the intake. I am just amazed that I haven't seen anyone that has this mod. I run my car on 91+ so no issue there but I would like to give it a try if I could just find one person that has done it. I was hoping that maybe someone with a 330i has with a dyno run to show some numbers because the closest 4-wheel dyno to me is a haul.
__________________
2006 BMW 330XI - Alpine White, Sport Package, 6-speed
2009 BMW X5 35d
imal8apexer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-18-2012, 10:15 PM   #4
ctuna
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Santa Cruz, Ca

Posts: 3,982
iTrader: (0)

Just to interject some more confusion

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=634855

I found this link kind of interesting.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35
ctuna is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2012, 11:15 AM   #5
nycbr
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 TiAg 328xi
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: nu yawk

Posts: 218
iTrader: (0)

if you look closely at the Turner website, it looks like the symbol for Active Autowerks, so Turner might be using their tune. But nothing wrong with that, the AA tune has good reviews here
nycbr is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2012, 11:48 AM   #6
jc5988
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2010 328i 6MT Sport Pkg
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: SOCAL

Posts: 378
iTrader: (0)

if you gonna have just a tune with them, i think others might be better. but their mod with sports main cat is rather good. not sure if they still doing it though.
__________________
N51- Perfomance Intake - Performance Exhaust - ESS Tuned - Performance SSK
jc5988 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2012, 04:58 PM   #7
imal8apexer
New Member
 
Drives: 2006 BMW 330XI
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: MD

Posts: 5
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Thanks ctuna...That was an interesting post. The AA tune may be on the list instead.

The reason that I was looking for info on the TMS product was because they seem to have a great reputation. But as some of you mentioned, so does AA.
__________________
2006 BMW 330XI - Alpine White, Sport Package, 6-speed
2009 BMW X5 35d
imal8apexer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2012, 07:23 PM   #8
ricgear
New Member
 
Drives: e90 330XI 6mt
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: northern Indiana

Posts: 23
iTrader: (0)

TMS tune is an AA tune. I just ordered mine today. I also have an o6 e90 330xi. I've also ordered the BMW Performance Exhaust and the aFe stage 2 si.
ricgear is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-20-2012, 06:21 PM   #9
imal8apexer
New Member
 
Drives: 2006 BMW 330XI
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: MD

Posts: 5
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricgear
TMS tune is an AA tune. I just ordered mine today. I also have an o6 e90 330xi. I've also ordered the BMW Performance Exhaust and the aFe stage 2 si.
Thanks ricgear,

I thought that too after seeing AA's dealer list. Congrats on your BMW performance exhaust. I am going to order one next week as well with a BMW intake. I think I will order the AA tune after those are installed.
__________________
2006 BMW 330XI - Alpine White, Sport Package, 6-speed
2009 BMW X5 35d
imal8apexer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-29-2012, 09:42 PM   #10
ricgear
New Member
 
Drives: e90 330XI 6mt
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: northern Indiana

Posts: 23
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imal8apexer View Post
Thanks ricgear,

I thought that too after seeing AA's dealer list. Congrats on your BMW performance exhaust. I am going to order one next week as well with a BMW intake. I think I will order the AA tune after those are installed.
A little update for you imal8apexer. The flashed ECU came back from TMS on Tuesday and I installed right away and went for a spin. There was a noticeable increase in top end power. The AFE intake came this afternoon and after I installed it, I went for another spin. I have to say that the AFE intake is a lot louder than the stock and it took a few miles I got accustomed to it. The combination of the tune and the intake together made a huge difference throughout the rpm range. The BMW PE goes in on Tuesday.
ricgear is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-10-2012, 08:37 PM   #11
GraphiteWoody
New Member
 
Drives: 2006 325i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NOVA

Posts: 23
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricgear View Post
A little update for you imal8apexer. The flashed ECU came back from TMS on Tuesday and I installed right away and went for a spin. There was a noticeable increase in top end power. The AFE intake came this afternoon and after I installed it, I went for another spin. I have to say that the AFE intake is a lot louder than the stock and it took a few miles I got accustomed to it. The combination of the tune and the intake together made a huge difference throughout the rpm range. The BMW PE goes in on Tuesday.

Hey Gents,

I just installed an AFE SI and the TMS "Stage 1" DME reflash on my otherwise-stock '06 325i. I agree with ricgear on the SI - pretty loud. So much so that I'm afraid my E90 may now sound like a 17 yr old's "fast and furious" Honda - lol.

As for the TMS flash - more serious concerns. My first impression was that I actually LOST torque at the bottom and may only see a noticeable gain in the 4500-6500 range. Engine spins up noticeably faster when not under load (neutral) but that is likely due to the less restrictive intake - not the flash. Under load, as I said, it seems slower off the line. I have an Auto, so may be different for the 6MT.

So - did a bit of research and discovered there may be a newer AA flash out there for the N52 - their "Stage 2". Same price, but sold by VAC Motorsports:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=648151

The dyno charts VAC posts for this tune are significantly better than those posted by TMS for their "Stage 1" N52 tune (which they confirmed for me is an AA tune). I'm going to call TMS tomorrow to see if they actually used an AA "Stage 2" tune on my car, or if they believe it even exists. Only place I've seen it is at VAC's thread and their web site, here:

http://store.vacmotorsports.com/acti...els-p2756.aspx

(Note: this page says for the "S54" motor but the dropdown lets you select an N52. Also note the "NEW for the 325 and 330 (2006-'07) application!" paragraph, halfway down.)

The AA website only shows what appears to be the "Stage 1" tune:

http://store.activeautowerke.com/act...ware-p149.aspx

Bottomline: If an improved AA tune for the N52 has been out as long as VAC says it has, and I paid TMS $499 for a obsolete version - well then that will truly suck!
GraphiteWoody is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-10-2012, 08:43 PM   #12
N0OS3
Colonel
 
N0OS3's Avatar
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oak Harbor, WA

Posts: 2,218
iTrader: (5)

TMS is Active Autowerke tune... they just charge extra... O_o' it's only worth the $$ if you can drive your vehicle to their shop and they can fine-tune your car with all applicable mods...
__________________
WTB: 3 Stage Intake Manifold and components - PM me your asking price.
N0OS3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-11-2012, 08:27 AM   #13
GraphiteWoody
New Member
 
Drives: 2006 325i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NOVA

Posts: 23
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by N0OS3 View Post
TMS is Active Autowerke tune... they just charge extra... O_o' it's only worth the $$ if you can drive your vehicle to their shop and they can fine-tune your car with all applicable mods...
No argument about it being an AA tune - question is which AA tune: Stage 1 or Stage 2?

Correction on the price I paid TMS, too - Original sales order said $474, but final invoice (when they actually billed me) said $399. I think they were having a special on the flash at that time. Either way, it's odd that it is LESS than AA is advertising ($499).
GraphiteWoody is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-11-2012, 09:10 AM   #14
N0OS3
Colonel
 
N0OS3's Avatar
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oak Harbor, WA

Posts: 2,218
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphiteWoody View Post
No argument about it being an AA tune - question is which AA tune: Stage 1 or Stage 2?

Correction on the price I paid TMS, too - Original sales order said $474, but final invoice (when they actually billed me) said $399. I think they were having a special on the flash at that time. Either way, it's odd that it is LESS than AA is advertising ($499).
well, that's something you would have to message them and ask. I've asked them a bunch of random questions and they've always happily replied with an answer to the best of their knowledge. "The worst answer you can get is NO" if you ask...
__________________
WTB: 3 Stage Intake Manifold and components - PM me your asking price.
N0OS3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-20-2012, 08:35 AM   #15
ricgear
New Member
 
Drives: e90 330XI 6mt
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: northern Indiana

Posts: 23
iTrader: (0)

I asked for and got the stage 2 tune from AA. At that time, they were not aware that AA had a stage 2 tune available for the N52, but they called AA and got the tune for me. TMS charged me $399 for the stage 2 tune (same price as the stage 1). TMS plugged in the other mods into the tune - the AFE stage 2 si intake and the BMW performance exhaust. I now have the exhaust on the car and it sounds great. With all 3 mods combined, there is a noticeable difference in power from the stock.
ricgear is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-20-2012, 08:37 AM   #16
ricgear
New Member
 
Drives: e90 330XI 6mt
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: northern Indiana

Posts: 23
iTrader: (0)

Oops. I meant to say I got the stage 2 tune from TMS.
ricgear is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
ecu, n52, tms

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:47 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST