E90Post
 


GT Haus
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > M135i to Get Manual & xDrive. M Performance 7 Series Possible. BMW M Supercar?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-19-2012, 01:23 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
6574

 
Jason's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA


Posts: 16,623
iTrader: (0)

Lightbulb M135i to Get Manual & xDrive. M Performance 7 Series Possible. BMW M Supercar?

BIMMERPOST NEWS
M135i to Get Manual & xDrive. M Performance 7 Series Possible. BMW M Supercar?
54
COMMENTS

Some interesting info comes out of a recent interview by Jens Meiners of Car and Driver with the BMW M President, Dr. Friedrich Nitschke.


M135i
In the interview, when asked about the M135i concept, Dr. Nitschke confirms that the production version will be virtually identical to the concept and powered by the N55 engine. It will also come with both manual and automatic transmission options, as well as an optional xDrive AWD. The manual and AWD options would have been popular with the North American market, but unfortunately Dr. Nitschke once again confirms that the F20 hatchback will not be making it to the U.S. (But, Dr. Nitschke has confirmed that a M135i coupe [or M235i coupe as it may be called] will be available in North America).

M Performance 7 Series
When asked whether BMW M has plans to bring an M Performance 7 Series to market, the M President lets on that it is being considered.

BMW M Supercar
Dr. Nitschke admits that BMW M has the technology, know-how, carbon fiber technology, and overall competence to build a supercar of the mid or rear-engined variety, but have not been given a "final 'go'" (presumably from the BMW Board). And no, there will not be an M version of the i8 either.


There are some more interesting topics covered by Jens during the interview, including discussions about BMW's use of turbos and manual transmissions. Catch the full interview at C&D.

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
827

 
Drives: *
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK


Posts: 5,351
iTrader: (0)

I'd love to see a BMW supercar. Something with a design similar to the I8 but larger. Also, needs to have the M3 GTS V8. It will never happen but we can dream lol.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 02:54 PM   #3
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
59

 
kyleb350's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: LoMbard, IL


Posts: 4,193
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hks786 View Post
I'd love to see a BMW supercar. Something with a design similar to the I8 but larger. Also, needs to have the M3 GTS V8. It will never happen but we can dream lol.
I wouldn't hate them for putting a tweaked version of the M5 TTV8 in there

/Edit/
Hell, I'm sure if they built one, it'd have its own engine.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 08:54 PM   #4
Morning Hawk
Private
United_States
1

 
Morning Hawk's Avatar
 
Drives: Subaru R2
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Yokohama/Yokosuka, Japan


Posts: 98
iTrader: (0)

The M3 already IS the supercar!
>=)
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 08:56 PM   #5
BKap08
Colonel
United_States
30

 
BKap08's Avatar
 
Drives: LCI
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bay Area


Posts: 2,624
iTrader: (0)

that M135i looks so promising, too bad the hatch isnt coming to the states
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 09:19 PM   #6
bimmerjph
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
36

 
bimmerjph's Avatar
 
Drives: 2002 BMW 325i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Tennessee


Posts: 1,974
iTrader: (0)

I wonder what it would take to get the BMW board to allow them to make a supercar.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #7
tscdennab
Banned
103

 
Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Europe


Posts: 1,811
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW  [3.12]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKap08 View Post
that M135i looks so promising, too bad the hatch isnt coming to the states
I don't understand, what is so exciting, the stripes ? the M135i will be an 135i with Power Kit (+20 lousy hp) and M-Sport suspension and a few other tweaks including dozens of M badges.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 11:04 AM   #8
sahyoun
Lieutenant
Lebanon
33

 
sahyoun's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 jb4 e85 335i
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bay Area, California


Posts: 511
iTrader: (0)

they should just make another crazy v12 only this time keep it for themselves and not sell it to mclaren
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 11:08 AM   #9
H_RV_0335
New Member
0

 
Drives: E90 335xi
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Montreal, Qc


Posts: 7
iTrader: (0)

Do you know if the M135i coupe (or M235i coupe) would be offered with the X-Drive in North America?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 11:09 AM   #10
DDS2015
Major
Canada
26

 
Drives: 2011 E90 LCI 328i xdrive
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg/Minneapolis


Posts: 1,040
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb350 View Post
I wouldn't hate them for putting a tweaked version of the M5 TTV8 in there

/Edit/
Hell, I'm sure if they built one, it'd have its own engine.
I think a TT version of the S85 would be a nice touch
It could develop somewhere in the neighbourhood of 700hp
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 11:18 AM   #11
Jason
Administrator
United_States
6574

 
Jason's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA


Posts: 16,623
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_RV_0335 View Post
Do you know if the M135i coupe (or M235i coupe) would be offered with the X-Drive in North America?
Since it will be available for the F20 M135i hatchback, I have little doubt that both manual transmission and xDrive will be options on the coupe for the NA market as well.

There's still a solid loyal following for manual transmission in NA and BMW is aware of that - example is the 6MT being available on the new M5 for the NA market exclusively. And xDrive sells very well here, so I don't think we have to worry about either not making it here IMO.
__________________
Check on the Latest BMW News
Become a fan of Bimmerpost Facebook
Follow us on Bimmerpost Twitter
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 11:24 AM   #12
kay-singh
Enlisted Member
7

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: May 2011
Location: U.K.


Posts: 47
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tscdennab View Post
I don't understand, what is so exciting, the stripes ? the M135i will be an 135i with Power Kit (+20 lousy hp) and M-Sport suspension and a few other tweaks including dozens of M badges.
Your forgetting one major component... m135i will have an lsd
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 11:27 AM   #13
tscdennab
Banned
103

 
Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Europe


Posts: 1,811
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW  [3.12]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kay-singh View Post
Your forgetting one major component... m135i will have an lsd
Do you have a source for this info ?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 11:36 AM   #14
bavarian19
General
United_States
375

 
bavarian19's Avatar
 
Drives: Car
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: VA


Posts: 18,815
iTrader: (23)

I'll take a TT V10 supercar!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 11:58 AM   #15
reprod
Major
United_States
17

 
Drives: 435i (M-Sport)
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New York, NY


Posts: 1,465
iTrader: (6)

Does this finally mean sport suspension for x-drive vehicles? I certainly hope so, I'm tired of having to buy coil-overs just for a nice ride height and some improved handling.
__________________
'08 Sparkling Graph. E92 335xi (ZSP w/ 18s | Saddle Br. | Grey Poplar) (Returned)
'11 Space Grey E92 335xi M-Sport (KWv1 Coils | Saddle Brown | Bamboo) (Returned)
'14 Mineral Grey F32 335i M-Sport (DHP | LED Lights | Coral Red | Hexagonal Aluminum)
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 12:29 PM   #16
ATX78703
Major
36

 
Drives: 2014 335i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Austin, TX


Posts: 1,001
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tscdennab View Post
I don't understand, what is so exciting, the stripes ? the M135i will be an 135i with Power Kit (+20 lousy hp) and M-Sport suspension and a few other tweaks including dozens of M badges.
Wrong.

If it's a true M performance model, like the m550d and others it will have a ton of changes and unique parts all developed by M.

Most notable of which will be hydraulic steering, totally diff suspension down to the ball bearings, springs, coils, wheels, tires, anti-roll bars, transmission shift program.

I don't know about LSD or DCT, but wouldn't be surprised.
__________________
2014 335i RWD: ZMM, ZDA, ZDH, ZPP, ZTP, 2NH, 2TB, 5DL; Z4A MPPK; AW ext / VB int

2014 ML350: P01, R33, 297, 319, 846, 864, 889, 996; LB ext / AB int
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 12:40 PM   #17
bimmerJP
First Lieutenant
United_States
3

 
bimmerJP's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 e90 335i
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas, the United States of America, Planet Earth, Universe


Posts: 373
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [2.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph
I wonder what it would take to get the BMW board to allow them to make a supercar.
Assassinate them and then let us be the board.
This is the easiest way so far
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 12:58 PM   #18
swifty
Major
54

 
Drives: FO M3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: canada


Posts: 1,277
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Since it will be available for the F20 M135i hatchback, I have little doubt that both manual transmission and xDrive will be options on the coupe for the NA market as well.

There's still a solid loyal following for manual transmission in NA and BMW is aware of that - example is the 6MT being available on the new M5 for the NA market exclusively. And xDrive sells very well here, so I don't think we have to worry about either not making it here IMO.
If it's just a power boost and few suspension tweaks, I doubt it will be worth it. If however it gets the torque vectoring xdrive fm the X6 or a mechanical LSD with rear wheel drive, I think many ppl will be interested.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 12:59 PM   #19
Pavel
Captain
Sweden
27

 
Pavel's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 M135i xDrive
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sweden


Posts: 639
iTrader: (0)

can somebody please let me know what the big deal is about selling hatchback BMWs in North America? I mean, why is BMW refusing to do so? Do Americans generally hate hatchbacks?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 01:01 PM   #20
Jason
Administrator
United_States
6574

 
Jason's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA


Posts: 16,623
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
If it's just a power boost and few suspension tweaks, I doubt it will be worth it. If however it gets the torque vectoring xdrive fm the X6 or a mechanical LSD with rear wheel drive, I think many ppl will be interested.
It won't be just a power boost and M sport suspension as another member claims. Read up on the M550d and you'll see that it's not just a software tune, M sport suspension, and some M badges.

As another member above pointed out:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX78703 View Post
Wrong.

If it's a true M performance model, like the m550d and others it will have a ton of changes and unique parts all developed by M.

Most notable of which will be hydraulic steering, totally diff suspension down to the ball bearings, springs, coils, wheels, tires, anti-roll bars, transmission shift program.

I don't know about LSD or DCT, but wouldn't be surprised.
__________________
Check on the Latest BMW News
Become a fan of Bimmerpost Facebook
Follow us on Bimmerpost Twitter
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 01:10 PM   #21
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
229

 
Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI


Posts: 13,783
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel View Post
can somebody please let me know what the big deal is about selling hatchback BMWs in North America? I mean, why is BMW refusing to do so? Do Americans generally hate hatchbacks?
I don't think Americans hate hatchbacks per se, it is just that not many of us buy them for one reason or another. Ther are notable exceptions such as a GTI or Mazda 3, and obviously Audi has found a business case for the A3. But, by and large, hatchbacks sell in small numbers here. BMW NA probably just can't make the numbers work for the F20, unfortunately. When you consider the relatively low price such a car would have to be offered for here, you'd probably need to move a not-insignificant number of units just make it a break-even scenario, much less to make a decent profit.
__________________
A gen-u-ine BMW eff-eight-zero with them tandem clutches in the transmission and that dad gum sun roof on the top-a da cawr.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 01:49 PM   #22
Pavel
Captain
Sweden
27

 
Pavel's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 M135i xDrive
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sweden


Posts: 639
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I don't think Americans hate hatchbacks per se, it is just that not many of us buy them for one reason or another. Ther are notable exceptions such as a GTI or Mazda 3, and obviously Audi has found a business case for the A3. But, by and large, hatchbacks sell in small numbers here. BMW NA probably just can't make the numbers work for the F20, unfortunately. When you consider the relatively low price such a car would have to be offered for here, you'd probably need to move a not-insignificant number of units just make it a break-even scenario, much less to make a decent profit.
That does makes sense. Thanks for the explanation
I guess when it comes down to it, it's all about numbers.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
7 series m performance, bmw 7 series m performance, bmw m supercar, bmw m135i, bmw m135i forum, bmw m235, bmw m235 forum, bmw m235i, bmw m235i forum, bmw supercar, m performance 7 series, m performance bmw 7 series, m135i, m135i forum, m235, m235i

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:25 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST