E90Post
 


GetBMWParts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Rolling diameter effect on xi



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-23-2012, 04:50 PM   #23
Fozzy
Waaka Waaka
Fozzy's Avatar
Canada
6
Rep
462
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E92 328xi
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Downtown Toronto

iTrader: (3)

Ah - but I understand this and should have been more clear. What I'm asking is why not 4 revolutions per mile. Nowhere does BMW state 2,3,6 RMP is the tolerance limit. I'm running a set up with Hancooks with a 6RMP delta, which is <.8% difference, another common metric is to be less than 1% out.

Is this based on the fact OEM runs 3RPM out when selling staggered set up? This has been a debate for years and I've yet to see any valid data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezofchuck View Post
he just said go to tirerack.com and look at the F/R tire combo you want...there is a spec sheet tab and it will tell you the rev per mile for each tire - subtract the diff - for his it was 816F and 813R (3 rev/mi diff).
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 05:48 PM   #24
E. Staggered
Second Lieutenant
E. Staggered's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
243
Posts

 
Drives: 328Xi
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kalamazoo, Mi

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy View Post
Ah - but I understand this and should have been more clear. What I'm asking is why not 4 revolutions per mile. Nowhere does BMW state 2,3,6 RMP is the tolerance limit. I'm running a set up with Hancooks with a 6RMP delta, which is <.8% difference, another common metric is to be less than 1% out.

Is this based on the fact OEM runs 3RPM out when selling staggered set up? This has been a debate for years and I've yet to see any valid data.
You are absolutely correct bro, I noticed that the majiority of the XI's that I seen at the BMW dealer in my home town kept the staggered setup's at 4 revs per mile and under. I'm just staying within the specs that were recommend from the head mechanic at the dealer here where I live. Just seen a 2012 335xi with Michelin Pilot Sports on 225 &255 18's combo. Not sure what the revs per mile are on those but they are selling the car that way fresh off the lot
__________________
Erek J.
__________________________________________________ ____________
2007 328XI - Jet Black - Tan Leather - 35% Tint All Around
Beyern Mesh 19x8.5/19x9.5 (ET30 F/R) - Black Line Tails
Hancook Venus V12 Evo Tires - Cold Weather Package
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 09:41 PM   #25
zipstic
Captain
United_States
10
Rep
607
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 e92 335xi
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Minneapolis

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsin View Post
Sooo...as long as it doesn't exceed 3 revs per mile you're okay?

i'm running Hankook ventus 225/35/19 front and 265/30/19 in the rear.
According to the tirerack fronts do 823 revs per mile vs. 821 for the rear (-2 difference)
What width wheel and offset are you running? I might be getting this same setup for my 19x8 et 35 and 19x9 et 38.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 09:24 AM   #26
moonsin
First Lieutenant
moonsin's Avatar
5
Rep
326
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E92 328xi
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NJ

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipstic View Post
What width wheel and offset are you running? I might be getting this same setup for my 19x8 et 35 and 19x9 et 38.
I'm running 19x8.5 ET35 front and 19x9.5 ET33 rear
__________________

'08 BSM//SB PROGRESSION THREAD
Eibach Pro-Kit, ACS Style Roof Spoiler, trunk lip spoiler,Aero lip, blackout grill/reflector, 19" ST8, Lightwerkz Custom Headlights, Muffler Delete, coded etc etc
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 10:57 AM   #27
zipstic
Captain
United_States
10
Rep
607
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 e92 335xi
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Minneapolis

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsin View Post
I'm running 19x8.5 ET35 front and 19x9.5 ET33 rear
Do you feel like the front tire is stetched at all on a 8.5 wheel? (Or do you by chance have a pic of it?) It seems like tire manufacturers have slightly different specs so maybe the Hankooks run slightly wider.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 07:25 PM   #28
Cory1970
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
39
Posts

 
Drives: 328
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipstic View Post
Do you feel like the front tire is stetched at all on a 8.5 wheel? (Or do you by chance have a pic of it?) It seems like tire manufacturers have slightly different specs so maybe the Hankooks run slightly wider.
I was curious about this too.

I am also thinking about buying 19x8.5 et30 F -225/35/19 and 19x9.5 et33 R - 265/30/19. The 225 seems a bit small for a 8.5. The difference in diameter is .2% when running a 225/35/19 and .85% on a 235/35/19.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 08:14 PM   #29
moonsin
First Lieutenant
moonsin's Avatar
5
Rep
326
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E92 328xi
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NJ

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipstic View Post
Do you feel like the front tire is stetched at all on a 8.5 wheel? (Or do you by chance have a pic of it?) It seems like tire manufacturers have slightly different specs so maybe the Hankooks run slightly wider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory1970 View Post
I was curious about this too.

I am also thinking about buying 19x8.5 et30 F -225/35/19 and 19x9.5 et33 R - 265/30/19. The 225 seems a bit small for a 8.5. The difference in diameter is .2% when running a 225/35/19 and .85% on a 235/35/19.
Pics taken as you requested



__________________

'08 BSM//SB PROGRESSION THREAD
Eibach Pro-Kit, ACS Style Roof Spoiler, trunk lip spoiler,Aero lip, blackout grill/reflector, 19" ST8, Lightwerkz Custom Headlights, Muffler Delete, coded etc etc
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 10:25 PM   #30
zipstic
Captain
United_States
10
Rep
607
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 e92 335xi
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Minneapolis

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipstic View Post
Do you feel like the front tire is stetched at all on a 8.5 wheel? (Or do you by chance have a pic of it?) It seems like tire manufacturers have slightly different specs so maybe the Hankooks run slightly wider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory1970 View Post
I was curious about this too.

I am also thinking about buying 19x8.5 et30 F -225/35/19 and 19x9.5 et33 R - 265/30/19. The 225 seems a bit small for a 8.5. The difference in diameter is .2% when running a 225/35/19 and .85% on a 235/35/19.
Pics taken as you requested



Thanks for posting the pics!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 09:07 AM   #31
deezofchuck
Lieutenant
9
Rep
511
Posts

 
Drives: OVER SLOW LEFT LANE DRIVERS!
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NOVA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy View Post
Ah - but I understand this and should have been more clear. What I'm asking is why not 4 revolutions per mile. Nowhere does BMW state 2,3,6 RMP is the tolerance limit. I'm running a set up with Hancooks with a 6RMP delta, which is <.8% difference, another common metric is to be less than 1% out.

Is this based on the fact OEM runs 3RPM out when selling staggered set up? This has been a debate for years and I've yet to see any valid data.
oh in that case then lol


btw - if you guys are concerned about RPM - the Conti ExtremContact DW in 235/35/19F and 275/30/19R have a diff of 0 (818 RPM) so if you are on 19's this would be a good choice.
__________________
2008 E92 335xi | Cobb AP Stage2+ | AR DP | ETS FMIC | ALUFELGEN SF-71 DC Blk | HANKOOK V12 | UUC SSK | H&R Coilovers | AE Exhaust |
Are YOU Ready to Buy/Sell/Rent Property In The DMV? LET ME HELP YOU!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 09:30 AM   #32
zipstic
Captain
United_States
10
Rep
607
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 e92 335xi
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Minneapolis

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by deezofchuck View Post
oh in that case then lol


btw - if you guys are concerned about RPM - the Conti ExtremContact DW in 235/35/19F and 275/30/19R have a diff of 0 (818 RPM) so if you are on 19's this would be a good choice.
Agreed that would be a good choice to get the rolling diameter to 0.

As an FYI the 235/35/19 DWs are on national back order right now so it could be tough to come across a set.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 09:41 AM   #33
deezofchuck
Lieutenant
9
Rep
511
Posts

 
Drives: OVER SLOW LEFT LANE DRIVERS!
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NOVA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipstic View Post
Agreed that would be a good choice to get the rolling diameter to 0.

As an FYI the 235/35/19 DWs are on national back order right now so it could be tough to come across a set.
are those decent tires? I am deciding on which set to get - might go for the Hankook's and they have a 3 RPM difference and a rebate offer.
__________________
2008 E92 335xi | Cobb AP Stage2+ | AR DP | ETS FMIC | ALUFELGEN SF-71 DC Blk | HANKOOK V12 | UUC SSK | H&R Coilovers | AE Exhaust |
Are YOU Ready to Buy/Sell/Rent Property In The DMV? LET ME HELP YOU!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 10:01 AM   #34
zipstic
Captain
United_States
10
Rep
607
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 e92 335xi
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Minneapolis

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by deezofchuck View Post
are those decent tires? I am deciding on which set to get - might go for the Hankook's and they have a 3 RPM difference and a rebate offer.
The DWs are very good tires - maybe slightly better than the Hankooks. However, with that being said the Hankooks are very comperable to the DW's and cheaper. (They also have a mail in $80 rebate going on right now too!) I ended up going with Hankooks in a 225/35/19 and 265/30/19 which is a 2 RPM diff. I also didn't want to run a 275 in the rear since I'm going to put coils on and didn't want to worry about rubbing and/or rolling my fenders. My wheels are 19x8 and 19x9 btw.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 12:11 PM   #35
Cory1970
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
39
Posts

 
Drives: 328
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipstic View Post
The DWs are very good tires - maybe slightly better than the Hankooks. However, with that being said the Hankooks are very comperable to the DW's and cheaper. (They also have a mail in $80 rebate going on right now too!) I ended up going with Hankooks in a 225/35/19 and 265/30/19 which is a 2 RPM diff. I also didn't want to run a 275 in the rear since I'm going to put coils on and didn't want to worry about rubbing and/or rolling my fenders. My wheels are 19x8 and 19x9 btw.
Same boat, I am afraid the 235/275 combo might rub. I hate spending money on wheels and worrying about rubbing.

I am considering a 19x8.5 et30 F -225/35/19 and 19x9.5 et33 R - 265/30/19 setup wrapped in Nitto 555's. They seem to get great reviews.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...me+Performance

Anyone used them?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 03:35 PM   #36
Thundermilwaukeee
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
38
Posts

 
Drives: Titanium Silver 2007 328XI
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Wisconsin

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Staggered View Post
:

Yup, that's close enough bro! Your good!!

In my opinion, the revs per mile seem to be those most important thing to worry about. Knowing each individual tire spec is key for the XI drivers.

Well that's great since I was planning on getting Ironman Imove 235/35/19F and 265/30/19R. THEY SAY THE REVS PER MINUTE ARE NOT RELEASED!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 04:02 PM   #37
Thundermilwaukeee
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
38
Posts

 
Drives: Titanium Silver 2007 328XI
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Wisconsin

iTrader: (0)

hajduk
Quote:
Ive been running 235 front and 275rear for over a year now. No problems at all, ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moveit View Post
How wide are your wheels and what aspect ratio for the tires? Also what kind of tires?

I was also wondering what moveit asked hajduk don't you think the problem would be much further down the road?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 06:44 PM   #38
Rich_NYC
Private
0
Rep
82
Posts

 
Drives: e90 328xi
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Queens

iTrader: (1)

om confused is this regarding staggered setups on xi, or going from stock to aftermaket. eg i have stock 16"s do i plug in my old wheel info then new wheel info in ratio calculator in the wheel section ? or only if im trying to put staggered setup like 9 front 9.5 in the back ???.. lets say i got box setup on aftermarket it doesnt matter the wheel tire combination or is that only when its staggered, thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 07:14 PM   #39
e90Mark
Captain
e90Mark's Avatar
Philippines
8
Rep
709
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Warren, MI

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_NYC View Post
om confused is this regarding staggered setups on xi, or going from stock to aftermaket. eg i have stock 16"s do i plug in my old wheel info then new wheel info in ratio calculator in the wheel section ? or only if im trying to put staggered setup like 9 front 9.5 in the back ???.. lets say i got box setup on aftermarket it doesnt matter the wheel tire combination or is that only when its staggered, thanks
Only when staggered and what's on the car.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 07:17 PM   #40
Rich_NYC
Private
0
Rep
82
Posts

 
Drives: e90 328xi
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Queens

iTrader: (1)

Ok thanks, I had stock 16s,then I put 19s 9, 9.5 but 225/40/19 all around, now I'm. Planning on changing rears to 265/35/19
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 12:43 PM   #41
fmonteiro444
First Lieutenant
fmonteiro444's Avatar
3
Rep
381
Posts

 
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NJ

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Maybe someone can help me with a situation I just had. I'm running 225-40-18's all around, General G-Max tires at 828 revs per mile. My stock setup is 225-45-17's Bridgestone RE050A2 at 830 revs per mile. Tuesday night I got a flat on the 18's. Since we have no spare, I had it towed to my office. The next day I drove up and swapped all 4 wheels back to stock in order to get the car home. Now my question is, could I have just swapped the front two wheels and make the 60 mile commute with no issues since the revs per mile difference was only 2 revs?
__________________
09 335xi - DCI, CP-E CP w/Tial, JB4 w/custom flash, E45, 50/50 meth, Alpina Flash - 12.4 @115
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 10:50 PM   #42
zipstic
Captain
United_States
10
Rep
607
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 e92 335xi
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Minneapolis

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmonteiro444
Maybe someone can help me with a situation I just had. I'm running 225-40-18's all around, General G-Max tires at 828 revs per mile. My stock setup is 225-45-17's Bridgestone RE050A2 at 830 revs per mile. Tuesday night I got a flat on the 18's. Since we have no spare, I had it towed to my office. The next day I drove up and swapped all 4 wheels back to stock in order to get the car home. Now my question is, could I have just swapped the front two wheels and make the 60 mile commute with no issues since the revs per mile difference was only 2 revs?
Yes, assuming that your two sets of tires were worn the same. If your 18's were at the wear bars and your 17's were new, then you revs per mile would have been much greater than 2.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 05:23 PM   #43
fmonteiro444
First Lieutenant
fmonteiro444's Avatar
3
Rep
381
Posts

 
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NJ

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipstic View Post
Yes, assuming that your two sets of tires were worn the same. If your 18's were at the wear bars and your 17's were new, then you revs per mile would have been much greater than 2.
Thanks for the reply!
__________________
09 335xi - DCI, CP-E CP w/Tial, JB4 w/custom flash, E45, 50/50 meth, Alpina Flash - 12.4 @115
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 04:18 AM   #44
Andrewe92
enthusiast
Andrewe92's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
821
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 e92 lci 335xi
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Not sure why people are throwing specs around in this thread lol.. Basically anything within 1% of rolling diameter is fine for transfer case and anything else so if yours comes out to .8 that's fine
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:54 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST