E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Oil

05-04-2012, 02:46 PM   #23
Clifton
Second Lieutenant

Drives: Cars with tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper (aka ENINTY) View Post
So here is the exact wording from the 2006 Z4 owner's manual. The 2006 Z4 has a mechanical dipstick.:

The oil level should be between the two marks on the dipstick.

The oil volume between the two marks on the dipstick corresponds to approx.1.1 quarts/1 liter. Do not fill beyond the upper mark on the dipstick. Excess oil will damage the engine.

While you should wait until the level has dropped to just above the lower mark before adding oil, you should never allow the oil level to fall below this mark.

So the way I read this is, "wait until the engine needs 1 quart of oil before adding oil to the crankcase." The language in the Z4 manual reads pretty much the same way as the E90 E-dipstick operates: the owner keeps track of the oil level using the e-dipstick and when it gets to 1 quart low (as notified by the CBS), he adds 1 quart of oil.

No where does the manual say the owner should top off the oil level in small measured increments to keep the oil level at the top mark.

Casper (aka ENINTY).
ENINTY - you are not kidding anyone here.

If you want to add one full quart, I would agree, you need to wait till it the dipstick shows that the car needs one full quart. However, show me where is says the system is not designed for topping-off oil and that you can only add oil in quart increments.

And ENINTY, with regards to your wife's car, I think you meant Z3, not Z4. *wink* *wink*

Last edited by Clifton; 05-04-2012 at 03:14 PM. Reason: typos
Clifton is offline   United_States
      05-07-2012, 10:44 PM   #24
MstrRogers330i
Private First Class

Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shata View Post
Hey Mstrrogers, Does your 330i burn little oil between changes? What interval do you change oil at and how much if you do does your car burn in certain mile period?
I bought my car with 46,000 miles on it and the dealer said it was changed at 44ish (which I found out when I went to get it topped off). I got the +1 quart warning at around 55,000 and went to the dealer and they topped it off for free....had it changed the next week. So i went about 11ish I guess....not sure if thats normal but I plan on changing it every 7500 or so