E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Coding Questions from a BMW noob.....

05-14-2012, 04:52 AM   #1
FlashMonkey929
BMW Noob

Drives: 2011 AW E90 335i PPK

Coding Questions from a BMW noob.....

I've been lurking and browsing on the forums for a while, reading all the DIY archives. I'm going to try and make this as easy to read as possible, but I'm looking to do this right without screwing anything up and some of the posts leave me confused.

1.) My friend has a BT Professional kit, is this all I need for coding a car? He is a former BMW mechanic but has yet to install the software. To my understanding the BT Pro kit does allow some coding, but not full access to all the modules and rewriting.

2.) If I were to use the cable from the BT Pro kit, would that be cable be compatible to code my car provided I install NCS and INPA and all related drivers?

3.) Would anyone be able to help walk me through installing the software or do a quick writeup? It's been a while since I've used Windows (not since XP was on it's way out), but for the life of me I couldn't figure out where any install or .exe files were in the files I downloaded for the coding software. I'm not computer illiterate, but I've been on Mac OSX since 2008 and could use a refresher.

4.) Posts on how remote coding works seem kind of vague to me, and if I can't do this myself, I'm interested in figuring out what's involved for me to get remote coding done. I'm assuming I would need a cable and a computer connected to the internet for this to work, but could someone explain the process to me?

Thanks in advance!
FlashMonkey929 is offline   United_States
      05-14-2012, 06:39 AM   #2
Dziqsek_
Banned

Drives: e91 320d

1 and 2 .Bt kit didnt work for coding and programing.
3-4. There are some remote coders on forum, just read some posts and threads on this page and you will find solution
Dziqsek_ is offline   Poland
      05-14-2012, 07:19 AM   #3
GenePoole
Lieutenant

Drives: '06 E90 330i

The BT tool has the FTDI USB<->COM interface chipset, and can be setup to map as a com port, but I have never been able to get any of the BMW tools to work with it in that configuration. It may still be possible with some sort of setup, but I'm betting that BT has that locked out somehow.
      05-14-2012, 07:37 AM   #4
FlashMonkey929
BMW Noob

Thanks guys, answered a few of my questions that my research wasn't clear on. Looks like I'll order the cable when I get around to it and in the meanwhile dust off my old Vista laptop that I used to use for VAG-COM purposes back in the day. Would it be better to upgrade to Windows 7? Seems like there are some minor risks and headaches associated with Vista.
      05-14-2012, 07:40 AM   #5
FlashMonkey929
BMW Noob

Or better yet, would a VAG COM Hex-Can interface cable have the required chipset/pinout to be compatible with the BMW software? I know the cable has a dongle built in to authenticate itself with the VAG-COM software, but if the BMW software doesn't have this authentication in the software it's possible it could work right?
      05-14-2012, 09:26 AM   #6
Dziqsek_
Banned

Drives: e91 320d

Forget about vista, you just can take risk that it will hang during coding/ update , get 7 or xp and remember to choose 32bit versions only
Dziqsek_ is offline   Poland