E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > FMIC vs Charge Pipe?

05-16-2012, 12:21 AM   #23
VaDuro
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 335xi

Combo

ETS makes an FMIC with Chargepipe fro less than $800.
VaDuro is offline   United_States
      05-16-2012, 10:27 AM   #24
benzy89
Banned

Drives: '08 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [3.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nailer335 View Post
I'm not trying to be nitpciky... Just making sure I'm not missing anything. Say that you have methanol injection and boost up to 17-19 psi from time to time with a stock CP and stock DVs, an aftermarket charge pipe wouldn't add power persey, it would just kind of reinforce that nothing bad would happen if it would in the first place, right? According to my limited and sometimes misinformed understanding, a charge pipe doesn't add any power but just provides a stronger force against boost leaks from the stock DVs.

Your insight is appreciated Jeff.

Sorry if this could be considered off topic

Neither a FMIC or CP is adding power (when compared to the instant gains you'd see from a tune, intake, dp's, meth, exhaust), but the difference is an FMIC will prevent heat soak, which in turns prevent a power decrease, overheating, knocking, misfires + the ultimate bitch, limp-mode. A charge pipe coupled w/ upgraded DV's or a BOV setup will give better throttle response, allow you to run a quality meth setup & guarantee that once you crank up the boost that nothing breaks.

I'm gonna do both at the same time. Taking the car to AKM in NJ, going in w/ just a tune and intake, leaving FBO Since my 335i is my DD and I'll be running higher boost all the time, I don't want to go WOT when I pass some1 or show off then crack the OEM CP.

**side note, was shocked when i discovered the OEM CP & DVs are both made from plastic -- broken parts waiting to happen
benzy89 is offline   United_States
      05-16-2012, 10:49 AM   #25
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoingIT77 View Post
ETS makes an FMIC with Chargepipe fro less than $800.
The ETS FMIC as well as most of the intercoolers come with the lower charge pipe. That is not the same as the upper charge pipe sold by ER ETS Stett ETC. <-- Which houses the option for DV or BOV.

I get a lot of people asking me so I figured I use your post so people understand the difference.

Jeff@TopGearSolutions is offline   United_States
      05-16-2012, 11:08 AM   #26
e1001usa
Private First Class

Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by skim7x
Quote:
Originally Posted by aflatau View Post
actually I know what both do, but thanks.
Ok, assuming you do know the difference, why would you even think getting a charge pipe before an fmic would make any difference. If you have a broken or leaking charge pipe, then get a new charge pipe. If not, get an fmic...
Thank you
      05-16-2012, 11:09 AM   #27
VaDuro
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
The ETS FMIC as well as most of the intercoolers come with the lower charge pipe. That is not the same as the upper charge pipe sold by ER ETS Stett ETC. <-- Which houses the option for DV or BOV.

I get a lot of people asking me so I figured I use your post so people understand the difference.

Thanks for the clarification, maybe a different name for it is in order. Maybe Front Charge pipe.
VaDuro is offline   United_States
      05-16-2012, 11:11 AM   #28
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
Quote:
Originally Posted by nailer335 View Post
I'm not trying to be nitpciky... Just making sure I'm not missing anything. Say that you have methanol injection and boost up to 17-19 psi from time to time with a stock CP and stock DVs, an aftermarket charge pipe wouldn't add power persey, it would just kind of reinforce that nothing bad would happen if it would in the first place, right? According to my limited and sometimes misinformed understanding, a charge pipe doesn't add any power but just provides a stronger force against boost leaks from the stock DVs.

Your insight is appreciated Jeff.

Sorry if this could be considered off topic
A charge pipe on its own wont do much for power unless your pipe is leaking either at the connection or diverter valves. The stock plastic is a little cheesy and well as the rubber elbow which allows for flex.

The benefit of an aftermarket charge pipe is the ease of adding methanol bungs, cleaner look, DV and BOV options, and could contribute to better atomization of methanol due to the larger ID of the piping.

Hope this helps.
Jeff@TopGearSolutions is offline   United_States