E90Post

Lux Angel Eyes

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2 months in as a new e90 owner

03-31-2012, 06:37 PM   #45
PMCU
Private

Drives: ABM E92

Let us know how it goes
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 11:55 AM   #46
MrQuickR1
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 328i

Just an update:
Yesterday I pulled the airbox out and removed the charcoal filter.
I also removed the MAF and although it was visibly clean, I cleaned it anyway.
Took it for a test ride, one very strange thing is, the clunk sound upon start up as the link a few posts back I put up, is actually gone.
I got some stumbling like it didn't want to go then it takes off. It's like this until it gets warmed up from initial overnight sitting. I can almost feel it breathing better, mind you I only have the stock air filter in.
Today coming into work, the bogging was diminished pretty good, it feels smoother. The problem still exists but it does not seem to be as bad.
Perhaps I am on the right track?
Could it hurt to replace the coils and plugs?
MPG's are the same as usual, nothing's changed there.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 01:24 AM   #47
crashoverride
Second Lieutenant

Drives: na

Always drive it in DS mode. It makes a big difference in throttle response. The car was built to drive in DS mode and has the standard simply for better fuel ratings window sticker certification. If you floor it then suddenly let up what you described was correct. The car was expecting you to go faster but now your going slower so it goes into cruising mode instead of racing I.e. better gas mileage vs performance mode.

Did you take out a carbon air filter or the carbon smog capture thingy? Cabin air filter or what? The engine doesn't need carbon filtered air so I don't see how taking out this whatever would help in anyway.

Coils and plugs are kind of they either work or don't you will maybe make the car happier but it would be rare to feel any difference as the car compensates for older plugs etc..

Not to diminish your feelings in anyway but this is one of the best top rated cars out there what car have you driven that better meets your expectations? Or do you expect a Ferrari as you bought this nice car?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 05:33 AM   #48
MrQuickR1
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashoverride View Post
Always drive it in DS mode. It makes a big difference in throttle response. The car was built to drive in DS mode and has the standard simply for better fuel ratings window sticker certification. If you floor it then suddenly let up what you described was correct. The car was expecting you to go faster but now your going slower so it goes into cruising mode instead of racing I.e. better gas mileage vs performance mode.

Did you take out a carbon air filter or the carbon smog capture thingy? Cabin air filter or what? The engine doesn't need carbon filtered air so I don't see how taking out this whatever would help in anyway.

Coils and plugs are kind of they either work or don't you will maybe make the car happier but it would be rare to feel any difference as the car compensates for older plugs etc..

Not to diminish your feelings in anyway but this is one of the best top rated cars out there what car have you driven that better meets your expectations? Or do you expect a Ferrari as you bought this nice car?
The airbox has 2 filters, 1 is the air filter, the other is non replaceable (fixed) carbon filter, supposedly it just filters anything coming back from the intake for pollution control but is deemed useless. Many others have done it and dropped a K&N or AFE air filter in, claims are not more HP but smoother. I still have the stock air filter in but it does feel a tad bit more responsive.
I guess I am comparing it to my wifes 2010 Maxima, 290 HP and the car just goes! Her 07 Camry 4 cylinder felt like what this 328 feels like, that too had the hesitation and you just couldn't judge/time your turns good cause it would take a second to actually go.
I did drive it in M mode and noticed starting out in M2 was exactly the feel and take off response I want in auto.

I found online the car I wanted from the start, 09 335xi coupe charcoal with gray interior. I am leary cause first of all the claim is $359 a month with 3k down for 72 months based on 3.9% . My car on a trade would be about $16,500...I put 6k down on this one and would automatically lose 4k.
That being said, I am confused and torn on if I should pull the trigger with that or just hang onto this one for a year or 2.
I may be selling my R1 today, that would actually help pay down my CC and squeeze a few for a down payment plus the 2500 trade difference. I worry about the twin turbo and I don't know much about the 335's since I have been constantly researching the 328 now to resolve the issues it has.

I am going to drive home today in DS mode and see what the MPG is compared to regular drive.

Thanks for your input.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 02:10 AM   #49
QUiKSR20
E90 Apprentice
United_States

Drives: 08' E90 328i 6MT

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to QUiKSR20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQuickR1 View Post
I bought mine from lester Glenn in toms River, yes, not a BMW dealer, it was on a trade in. My advice to you if you are concerned that much, look at the 335's first. There are so many 28's for sale and I am beginning to realize why.

Quik, I don't mean to bash BMW, the car itself is so nice, the drive, the stereo system, etc... I just can't accept dealing with this issue on the throttle lag, it's dangerous and ridiculous...
No I gotcha 100%, Im not bashing either actually looking to get into a 3 series asap.. Ill take your advice and shop around for a 335 the maint is all that scares me.. I have a few friends with them at work and everything else I absolutely love.
89 E30 325is [sold & missed]
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 10:17 AM   #50
Bruce li
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 e90 lci

I have a 2011 328i w/auto. First thing I did was get the AA tune. Drives a lot smoother. One thing I do Is drive around in manual mode. I do tend to push the car quite a bit and the thing I notice is when I put it in DS mode seems to pull a lot stronger. Not sure why but It works for me!👍. I never drive in D mode by the way. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 10:26 AM   #51
WNF_335i
Private First Class
Canada

Drives: E90 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SERI335 View Post
Sorry to hear that. I don't have a fix to your problem, but what you should've done is drive a 335 instead. I'm two months in as well and not regretting it at all!
amen to that .. im also a new 335i owner and im loving every second of it
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 11:49 AM   #52
MrQuickR1
Second Lieutenant

Well I finally called a dealer today, told him that I was told from another dealer that the transmission adaption reset is what will fix my issue. He said I have been driving it for a couple of months now and it should have already adapted. He feels there is something not right and said they will give me a complimentary inspection before diagnosing. I even told him how I keep trying the "hold the pedal for 40 seconds" "adaption reset" and it's good for a day or 2 than goes back to crap. He said yea, it needs to be looked at.
I hate that jerkiness at times and lag. I can understand a little lag but this seems to be too much.
Was wondering if the coils and plugs would be the culprit. I would hate to have to pay top dollar for a basic tune up and something I can easily do.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 10:04 AM   #53
MrQuickR1
Second Lieutenant

I just wanted to throw an update out there in case a new owner happens to stumble across this post with similar symptoms.
So far I had replaced the coils and plugs (all 6)
Idle seemed more steady but still got that jolting at lights and the transmission shifting all abrupt and not in the right gears when slowing or accelerating was more pronounced.
I then scheduled it to go to the dealer for a reprogram.
When I got there, the SA asked why I wanted the update, I simply said because the car drives like pure crap.
He said I could wait cause it takes like an hour and a half. So 6 1/2 half hours later he decided to give me a loaner to go home because the update failed (crashed). The next day, I called around noon, they didn't know what the status was and would call me back. So at 3:30 I heard nothing and drove there. Finally after waiting, they said it was done, they just had to check if it was test driven.

The invoice states:
"62708 ck faults referred to sib 240509 to correct concern reprogram egs (complete vehicle). cleared all faults."

I felt the difference immediately after leaving. It actually rolls now when my foot is off the gas. I did not drive far with it, maybe about 20 miles or so. I am hoping this stays the way it is because now I am very happy with the car and not looking to get rid of it as it drives really nice.
Idle feels smoother, I haven't felt the jolting at stops so far, hesitation/throttle lag is much better now.
I had the BMS pbx in it while this reprogram was performed, I had it set on stock map and still do until I get a few hundred miles on it, giving the trans time to adapt to me.

As time goes by, I will report back in this thread and give more updates...

I appreciate everyones advice and help on this.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 10:22 AM   #54
shata
Captain
United_States

Drives: 06 330i 6MT-ZPP/ZSP/ZCW

Ya thats why people say get 6MT...My E46 328i has GM tranny also - Its had to be replaced ya it cost arm n leg it sucked alot.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 06:50 AM   #55
MrQuickR1
Second Lieutenant

My fear of the transmission issue coming back....DID!
Gonna have to make another trip down to the dealer
Sucks, it drove nice for a few days, than after that, the abrupt shifting started coming back slightly to more pronounced as of today.
I'm tired of the love/hate with this car already.
Appreciate 0