E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 335i water leak/fan question (noob)

05-17-2012, 07:38 AM   #1
eg9_dc2
Private
Rep

Drives: 335i

335i water leak/fan question (noob)

hi

im new on this forum, my first ever bmw is a 57 335i prior to this ive been a honda fan...anyhow....what a lovely car the e92 is!

ive tried searching but havent managed to find an answer.

my cars loosing coolant about a litre after a week of driving. i cant see no leaks, and dont see white smoke from the tail pipes either.

im gonna try some UV dye to maybe try locate the leak if that doesnt work maybe a pressure tester for the coolant system? im hoping its just a rubber pipe with a hole in it and some extra pressure will show the leak while the cars stationary.

engine doesnt over heat runs at 120 degree sometimes just a dot over after very hard driving.

ive been topping it up with tap water since.

my main question is about the fans though..i know the water pump is electric and the turbos are watercooled aswell as oil cooled and the fan is meant to keep cooling them after HOWEVER

after i turn my car off....the waterpump/fan noise doesnt come on straight away BUT if i leave the car off even for over a day....i can still sometimes hear the fan/waterpump/humming noise every few hours even though the car has not been started for over a day?

surely it doesnt need cooling after a day of not being in use so im thinking maybe a faulty sensor/fan switch/temperature sensor or something along them lines?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 07:53 AM   #2
ti8589
Private
Rep

They all had water pump issues back in '57 don't worry about it.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 08:06 AM   #3
eg9_dc2
Private
Rep

whats the issue exactly?
Appreciate 0