Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

TireRack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Tires, Hankook v12 VS Falken FK452?? Opinions?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

05-16-2012, 08:43 PM   #1
smokedlights
Banned
Rep

Drives: none

Tires, Hankook v12 VS Falken FK452?? Opinions?

Stuck between the two.. price is about the same. Pros and cons of each?
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 08:59 PM   #2
C ///M
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: '07 X3 M-Sport

Garage List
Unfortunately I've never used the Hankook's, but I have lots of experience with the FK452's. I used to be a huge fan for the simple fact that they were cheap compared to most other summer tires. In my opinion, they wear too fast, are way way too loud, and lack ultimate grip. Sidewall is average, maybe a little soft.. I've heard great things about the hankook's but I've also heard people swear by the FK452 and I think that they're crap.
Prototype 2007 Monaco E83 'X3M' | N54 Swap | Gruppe M CF CAI | VRSF CP & DPs | CXR Intercooler | ER Dual Oil Coolers | Dual 2.5" w/X-Pipe | M3 Rear Exhaust | 20" BC Forged HB05S | Michelin PSS 265 & 305 | F10 M5 & F80 M3 Brakes | KW Variant 2 | H&R Swaybars | TMS Z4M Camber Arms | Z4 Finned Diff | BMW Perf. Grills w/Tri-Color | Custom M Body Treatment | CF Trim | M Perf. Carbon Shift & Handbrake Knobs | BMW Perf. SS Pedals | M3 Dead Pedal | V1 Hardwired | Int LEDs | Umnitza Orion v4 AE
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 09:07 PM   #3
EYE4SPEED
Ex-Quattro Driver
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90 335d M-Sport LCI

I currently have both on two different cars. I think the Hankooks are louder and the sidewalls look funny. If I had a choice, I would go with Falkens.
      05-17-2012, 09:57 AM   #4
Countersteer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 X3 28 Blk Sapphire

I just put a set of the Hankook's on my 335i Sport this past Monday. I was running Bridgestone REO50 RFT's and absolutley hated them. Now I have only ran RFT's on my car until these Hankooks. Let me tell you, the difference in ride was night and day. This is probably due to more being the Hankook's are not a RFT, but never the less they feel great.

I was concerened that the road noise would be an issue. Not at all but again I have only had them on my car for 3 days. I have read that on a staggered set up the backs will last 15-18k and the fronts will last 22-30k. That's pretty much standard for a summer tire that can't be rotated. In my opinion I don't think there is a better tire for the money.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 10:55 AM   #5
will.c
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: E46M

I've had V12s on my daily set of 189s for over a year.

Good: quiet, soft, cheap, mfr warranty replaced two of my tires when bubbled, forgiving (progressive noise while approaching or at the limit of adhesion).
Bad: Soft if you're looking for tight steering feel, great but not fantastic in rain, dry grip is not as amazing as UHPs but that's what R-S3s are for.

The rears I've had for about 25,000mi and I think I have about 20% left. I should mention that I take fast corners whenever possible and safe, and my daily empty highway commute involves multiple 130-140mph pulls. I've tracked with these tires I think 3 days so far also, so I'd say the wear is not bad at all.

But due to lack of grip compared to, say, Star Specs, I got a separate track set. After that, I've learned how communicative the V12s were, telling me exactly when they're gonna lose traction.

Verdict: If price remains cheap, I'll def use them again as comfortable daily driver.
Appreciate 0