E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > !

05-21-2012, 12:00 PM   #23
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
I think an undercover cop car has been racing people and sending letters out. Bit naughty really. Only you will know if you did this!

I used to go to some illegal street racing many many moons ago as a teen. Police & helicopters turned up every week, filming etc. Out of all the people I knew who went, no one got a letter. This was 10 years ago mind. I Never had a car quick enough at the time to participate, but friends did and I passengered.
They never heard anything. But like I said it was a long time ago many things have
Changed.
      05-21-2012, 12:05 PM   #24
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

Can you get a car ASBO in England?

They issue them up here to boy racers who cause nuisance with their cars.

First time they impound the car until fees paid and second time they can permanently confiscate it.

To make an accusation that you have committed an offence surely they would need some proof?

If it turns out to be scaremoungering innocent road users I would like to think the police would have to have action taken against them.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 12:06 PM   #25
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
I think its the latter mate.... I really do.
      05-21-2012, 12:57 PM   #26
ihpj
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330d M Sport

Road Traffic Offences are deemed to have been committed by the driver of said motor vehicle. More often than not, the driver is also the owner so it allows for a streamlined disposal process.

In instances where a vehicle is reported to Police for misbehaviour and enquiries are undertaken [by the Police] to identify said vehicle, it is then important to identify the driver for the reason given above. So just like a notice for speeding you receive in the post, it asks you to state who was driving, this is pretty much the same thing. The OP (as ROK) is legally obligated to providing the details requested by Police, as failure to do so will land him with a summons to Court and automatic 6 penalty points on the licence for failing to provide the information.

As with many things, if you are unsure, get legal advice (check your home contents policy for legal cover or car insurance) and get advice. But right now, all this is saying is that the vehicle you own has been reported to have been witnessed as misbehaving and in order to further enquiries, the driver needs to be identified. Further enquiries may then follow (i.e. interviewing of the driver).

I have used this process successfully on many occasions when I witness vehicles misbehaving on the road but for whatever reason I can't stop them and deal with it there and then.

As for ASBOs for vehicles, read Section 59 of the Police Reform Act 2002 - it gives us wide ranging powers to deal with instances, such as street racing, without necessarily having to prove the offence at Court.

Hope this helps...
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 01:40 PM   #27
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Avoid bending over in the showers and you should be fine.
      05-21-2012, 03:57 PM   #28
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
Avoid bending over in the showers and you should be fine.
ur "jokes" are so silly!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 04:22 PM   #29
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

Somebody pointed out on the other site that the notice is outwith the required 14 day notice period from the offence.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 04:23 PM   #30
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Business edition View Post
kerr and dxb335d, thank you for all your help means a lot and thanks to all the other guys that replied, i appreciate all the help. i got to say this forum has got some awesome people.

and i asked a dude about this letter he said. it doesnt say your getting in trouble for anything. the police just want to know who was driving.

hopefully i dont get any points
No worries mate, hope it all turns out alright for you.
      05-21-2012, 04:27 PM   #31
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
ur "jokes" are so silly!
Same advice applies to you.
      05-21-2012, 06:10 PM   #32
Business edition
OBD Port Disabled
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E90 M Sport Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
ur "jokes" are so silly!
Agreed mate.

E90 LCI M SPORT BUSINESS EDITION - STAY SAFE & HAPPY MOTORING
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 07:18 PM   #33
The_Bear_Yid
BM Noob
England
Rep
Drives: E92 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31
Opinion of one person is all thats needed, i reported someone once for dangerous driving and it could have gone to court if i had wanted so long as I testified. Independent witness not needed as the one witness will be testifying under oath in court.
Nope. Not afaik. As it turns in to your word against theirs.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 06:28 AM   #34
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

OP, as ihpj mentioned, go for legal advice.

Your solicitor should contact relevant police department and should be able to find, why are they intending to prosecute you?

A good solicitor should be able to get some useful information from the police and should try to mention your side of story that you were not there for racing or dangerous driving.

I know somebody who had a similar letter and with legal help, he ended up going for a driving awareness course only.

Hope that helps.
      05-22-2012, 07:26 AM   #35
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

No need for a solicitor yet as you don't know any details. Reply to the letter and see what punishment you are getting and then decide if legal help needed. If its going to court then you def need a solicitor.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 07:28 AM   #36
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

There are plenty of legal cases where it is one persons word against another. Thats where the solicitors and barristers aim to discredit the liar and the Judges tend to be pretty astute in working out who is lying. In a case such as this the driver of the car would have all the work to do to prove his innocence as the complianant will be believed pretty quickly, why would someone go to all the bother of reporting someone they don't know and have to endure court etc.

Having said all that this seems more likely a spot by a Policeman rather than another member of public.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 10:16 AM   #37
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

[QUOTE=makkan00;12011236]I know somebody who had a similar letter and with legal help, he ended up going for a driving awareness course only.

QUOTE]

When I say that, it means even without going to court. His solicitor has persuaded officer not to prosecute the defendent but to send him on driving awarensess course. And sensible officer would realize that giving somebody a chance to improve his conduct is far better than sending defendent to court to be prosecuted.

Just a thought, as it worked and worked spot on!
      05-22-2012, 10:17 AM   #38
Business edition
OBD Port Disabled
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
OP, as ihpj mentioned, go for legal advice.

Your solicitor should contact relevant police department and should be able to find, why are they intending to prosecute you?

A good solicitor should be able to get some useful information from the police and should try to mention your side of story that you were not there for racing or dangerous driving.

I know somebody who had a similar letter and with legal help, he ended up going for a driving awareness course only.

Hope that helps.
Cheers pal for all the information. Am going to the solicitor tomorrow and one of the dude who got the letter called up police and the copper had to phone him at 14:00 today. So i will ask him and see what they said

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 10:19 AM   #39
Business edition
OBD Port Disabled
United Kingdom
Rep

[QUOTE=makkan00;12012288]
Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post

QUOTE]

When I say that, it means even without going to court. His solicitor has persuaded officer not to prosecute the defendent but to send him on driving awarensess course. And sensible officer would realize that giving somebody a chance to improve his conduct is far better than sending defendent to court to be prosecuted.

Just a thought, as it worked and worked spot on!
I shouldn't even go there as I didn't doo any thing wrong. I wasn't racing. I just drove passed police car. I didn't break no rules. I will have to wait and see

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 01:32 PM   #40
Mart1000
Capt Slow
Rep
Drives: Leon FR Supercopa

You have 28 days to furnish the info. There should be a telephone number on their somewhere for the traffic criminal justice unit. Personally I'd either call or write to ask for more information regarding the alleged offence as you'd still have time to send that letter back in.

Personally I've never known blanket NIP's. Only if evidence exists, but I'm not saying it doesn't happen.

I've known sec.59 notices to be abused and they shouldn't be.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 02:06 PM   #41
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
It's from a police man. He took loads number plates down. That's what I found out. This dude was telling me 7 of his mates even got it and he wasn't even on that road where the racing happens and I didn't even go pass the road where racing happen. Because I remember loads cars drive pass him on a other road he was just park on this main road on the side and he wasn't hard to spot as he had his blues on and park on the side
Hey fella, sorry to hear about your predicament. Maybe its just a case of wrong place, wrong time. Still though it seems silly because the other people there who were racing, did they not see the police there?!

Is it a private road or someting? Do you have any pics of the place?

And do you have your wheels now? Still waiting to see the jap and euro fusion.

All the best

Regards.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 03:47 PM   #42
Business edition
OBD Port Disabled
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart1000 View Post
You have 28 days to furnish the info. There should be a telephone number on their somewhere for the traffic criminal justice unit. Personally I'd either call or write to ask for more information regarding the alleged offence as you'd still have time to send that letter back in.

Personally I've never known blanket NIP's. Only if evidence exists, but I'm not saying it doesn't happen.

I've known sec.59 notices to be abused and they shouldn't be.
Well one of the other person who got the letter calle up the station yesterday and the police officer was meant to call him at 2 today which never happen and it's 9:30 and I asked him if he got a call and he said no.

Am going to go speak to my lawyer tomorrow.

If we where racing or speeding stop us. Plus no would speed pass a cop car.

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 04:26 PM   #43
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
hi there girls and guys. hope your all well.

this morning i got a letter from the police saying

i "took part in a race/speed trial between motor vehicles on a public highway".
i was on that road but i wasn't racing, normally people race on that road. and i didnt see any police cars there to take my number plate.

and it says on the letter.

" i am required to serve this notice upon you, but it does not necssarily mean that proceeding will be taken for any offences mentioned above. if proceeding are decided upon, process will be served upon you in due course. if proceedings are not to be taken you will be notified as soon as possible.

has any one had a letter like this before? and got in trouble?

do you think i will get in trouble?

cheers
Quote:
It's from a police man. He took loads number plates down. That's what I found out. This dude was telling me 7 of his mates even got it and he wasn't even on that road where the racing happens and I didn't even go pass the road where racing happen. Because I remember loads cars drive pass him on a other road he was just park on this main road on the side and he wasn't hard to spot as he had his blues on and park on the side
There are some inconsistencies in your posts, did you or did you not see the Policeman?
      05-22-2012, 05:13 PM   #44
Business edition
OBD Port Disabled
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awfully_Polite View Post
Hey fella, sorry to hear about your predicament. Maybe its just a case of wrong place, wrong time. Still though it seems silly because the other people there who were racing, did they not see the police there?!

Is it a private road or someting? Do you have any pics of the place?

And do you have your wheels now? Still waiting to see the jap and euro fusion.

All the best

Regards.
Everyone stop when they see the police and they drive to this chippy car park and I was going to get some food and so he took my number plate down to

Not yet mate. Bit skint to be fair spent 1,500 on lci xenon headlights and I just found out my rear hub in bent so I brought one which cost 250 and brought a front left suspension leg which was 110. And just bought a rear tyre and will have to do the tracking again Which will be about 50 so a lot of money gone lol. But I feel like getting some other rims I saw

Appreciate 0