E90Post
 


MINHS Auto Care Center
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > 2013 GT500 First Road Test! yes, its fast



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-23-2012, 01:23 PM   #67
ragingclue
One cam is enough
ragingclue's Avatar
87
Rep
6,815
Posts

 
Drives: VF
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: mulletville

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soorena View Post
i believe GT500 will roll too unlike what reviewers say because at the end it's a Mustang.
Unlike what the reviewers say?

Huh? They're lying then?

You like the driver involvement of the BOSS? I don't understand what the BOSS has to offer as far as driver involvement which the Shelby doesn't offer.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 01:38 PM   #68
BlackJetE90
Colonel
37
Rep
2,525
Posts

 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: e90

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
Huh?

The 2012 SVTPP Shelby was as fast as the BOSS in the only same day, same driver test that I know of (IL and the Shelby actually put in a better time). We all know where the BOSS sits in relation to a certain unnamed BMW....

And the '13 Shelby is shitloads faster than the '12.... I'm sure it'll be fine on a road course. Not only that, but it's reportedly more forgiving at/near the limit and has some heavy duty cooling added. It'll still soak, but it's going to murder some "twisties only" cars on road courses. You can bet on it.
I would still take a normally aspirated Boss Laguna Seca over this, if tracking was the main reason of buying. Like you said you will eventually deal with heat soak, especially on hot track days. Same reason I would take a Z06 with the Z07 package over a ZR1.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 01:39 PM   #69
Soorena
Captain
No_Country
18
Rep
850
Posts

 
Drives: M3 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Paris

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
Unlike what the reviewers say?

Huh? They're lying then?

You like the driver involvement of the BOSS? I don't understand what the BOSS has to offer as far as driver involvement which the Shelby doesn't offer.
It's all about the power and controlling it. I myself can't take a 13 GT500 to a track with it's ridiculous output and turn all the electronic gizmos off but i can do the same with Boss and enjoy the ride with it's excellent N/A engine and track suited suspension. If you can, then it's good for you sir. I've been talking about myself not reviewers and also my opinions about this car not.
The reason i say it probably will roll is due the fact that it's a Mustang and as you said it's part of Mustang engineering or whatever it is.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 01:39 PM   #70
ragingclue
One cam is enough
ragingclue's Avatar
87
Rep
6,815
Posts

 
Drives: VF
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: mulletville

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
I would still take a normally aspirated Boss Laguna Seca over this, if tracking was the main reason of buying. Like you said you will eventually deal with heat soak, especially on hot track days. Same reason I would take a Z06 with the Z07 package over a ZR1.
Yessir, I absolutely agree.

If I was tracking at any sort of serious level, I would also take the BOSS. Dunno if I would take the LS, but definitely the BOSS over the Shelby. That being said, the heat soak problem should be better handled on the '13, which essentially just delays the inevitable, but it will be an improvement nonetheless.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 01:43 PM   #71
US///M3
Major
23
Rep
1,266
Posts

 
Drives: 1973 Jensen Interceptor
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Shanghai, People's Republic of China

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClean335i View Post
Camaro vs Mustang, its like watching bums fight
__________________
BMW R1200RT
All purpose, No pretense.

I'm back.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 01:56 PM   #72
US///M3
Major
23
Rep
1,266
Posts

 
Drives: 1973 Jensen Interceptor
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Shanghai, People's Republic of China

iTrader: (0)

This is the 05 Mustang, pretty much the same refried stuff. Not very creative...
Attached Images
 
__________________
BMW R1200RT
All purpose, No pretense.

I'm back.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 02:05 PM   #73
ragingclue
One cam is enough
ragingclue's Avatar
87
Rep
6,815
Posts

 
Drives: VF
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: mulletville

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by US///M3 View Post
This is the 05 Mustang, pretty much the same refried stuff. Not very creative...
Yeah it's all S197, '05 until now. That's kinda like expecting an LCI to have a completely different interior than the pre-LCI. '05-'09 Mustangs are basically S197 pre-LCI and '10-'13 are LCI S197.

Well I guess the interior did change with the E9X LCI.... Lost some stuff due to cost-cutting, but basically same deal. E9X ran '06-'11, right (was there a '12?)? S197 runs '05-probably '14. Longer cycle, that's all. One of the ways they can make a car like this so "cheaply".
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 02:49 PM   #74
itsmeek
Lieutenant
itsmeek's Avatar
5
Rep
412
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: DC Metro

iTrader: (3)

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I expect nothing less from the M3 guys. You are all right, the new gt500 and all Mustangs suck.

Never mind that the basic 5.0 outdoes the e90/e92 M3 at tracks and straightline. The new GT500 can't be better than the M3 because it's a Ford. Geezus, first I hear that the M3 is better than my GT-R because it's Japanese, now it's better than the Ford because body roll on older models and interiors from 15 years ago.

N/A cars are yesterday's news, as are cars sans DCT's. At least this GT500 has some balls, be realistic here Fanboi's- this is the next of many cars that you will be running away from.
__________________
1997 Supra TT (900ish hp)
2010 Range Rover Sport
1965 Mustang 302 5 speed!
2010 Prius

Last edited by itsmeek; 05-23-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 03:03 PM   #75
MrClean335i
FBO+Methanol Injection
MrClean335i's Avatar
18
Rep
349
Posts

 
Drives: M Sport 335i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Miami

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmeek View Post
BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I expect nothing less from the M3 guys. You are all right, the new gt500 and all Mustangs suck.

Never mind that the basic 5.0 outdoes the e90/e92 M3 at tracks and straightline. The new GT500 can't be better than the M3 because it's a Ford. Geezus, first I hear that the M3 is better than my GT-R because it's Japanese, now it's better than the Ford because body roll on older models and interiors from 15 years ago.

N/A cars are yesterday's news, as are cars sans DCT's. At least this GT500 has some balls, be realistic here Fanboi's- this is the next of many cars that you will be running away from.

So you are going from a 700HP GTR to the 2013 GT500? Why?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 03:09 PM   #76
swanson
Convicted Felon
swanson's Avatar
32
Rep
1,602
Posts

 
Drives: chariot
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

why not?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 03:13 PM   #77
itsmeek
Lieutenant
itsmeek's Avatar
5
Rep
412
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: DC Metro

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClean335i View Post
So you are going from a 700HP GTR to the 2013 GT500? Why?
? Why shouldn't I? I sold the GT-R for a profit and have 2 other track junky vehicles. Not sure how your question is relevant to any conversation here.
__________________
1997 Supra TT (900ish hp)
2010 Range Rover Sport
1965 Mustang 302 5 speed!
2010 Prius
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 03:16 PM   #78
Inspired
Colonel
Inspired's Avatar
40
Rep
2,254
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: California

iTrader: (2)

BMW better step it up on the new M3 or I can see a whole lot of people buying the Shelby.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 03:30 PM   #79
KingOfJericho
Major General
KingOfJericho's Avatar
United_States
96
Rep
5,198
Posts

 
Drives: Yes
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CT

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [2.63]
You sound like a guy dating a former stripper. Yeah, she's super hot and a great lay but she has a very checkered past that is hard for most guys to overcome so quickly.
__________________
The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Bimmerpost.

2010 S4 Current | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Retired
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 05:29 PM   #80
US///M3
Major
23
Rep
1,266
Posts

 
Drives: 1973 Jensen Interceptor
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Shanghai, People's Republic of China

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbo335 View Post
BMW better step it up on the new M3 or I can see a whole lot of people buying the Shelby.
No need to step it up,at the race track the M3 is doin just fine even against the Boss 302 LS . You dont see a lot of E9x M3's at dragstrip for a reason...they're not designed for straight line racing.
You can get a gorgeous interior/exterior and performance at what a whatever level but you gotta pay more.
It's like If you cant afford a Porsche 911 turbo S,you can settle for a Nissan GT-R. Same performance minus character,quality,beautiful designs,Gravitas etc. The real deal ,the cars kids grow up dreaming of owning one day.
__________________
BMW R1200RT
All purpose, No pretense.

I'm back.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 05:59 PM   #81
swanson
Convicted Felon
swanson's Avatar
32
Rep
1,602
Posts

 
Drives: chariot
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by US///M3 View Post
No need to step it up,at the race track the M3 is doin just fine even against the Boss 302 LS . You dont see a lot of E9x M3's at dragstrip for a reason...they're not designed for straight line racing.
You can get a gorgeous interior/exterior and performance at what a whatever level but you gotta pay more.
It's like If you cant afford a Porsche 911 turbo S,you can settle for a Nissan GT-R. Same performance minus character,quality,beautiful designs,Gravitas etc. The real deal ,the cars kids grow up dreaming of owning one day.
Get real. There are tons of people who pick the GTR over a porsche regardless of price. Same goes with the corvette. Porsches are over priced anyway. And not everyone thinks a porsche is beautiful.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 06:11 PM   #82
US///M3
Major
23
Rep
1,266
Posts

 
Drives: 1973 Jensen Interceptor
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Shanghai, People's Republic of China

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmeek View Post
BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I expect nothing less from the M3 guys. You are all right, the new gt500 and all Mustangs suck.

Never mind thatthe basic 5.0 outdoes the e90/e92 M3 at tracks and straightline. The new GT500 can't be better than the M3 because it's a Ford. Geezus, first I hear that the M3 is better than my GT-R because it's Japanese, now it's better than the Ford because body roll on older models and interiors from 15 years ago.

N/A cars are yesterday's news, as are cars sans DCT's. At least this GT500 has some balls, be realistic here Fanboi's- this is the next of many cars that you will be running away from.
When you race both cars,on stock tires on the same day, the M3 is faster than the Boss 302 in straight line and around the track.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=585705

And vs the basic GT by Motor Trend.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=422981

And regarding straight line numbers,car and driver,Evo determined the M3 is faster than the Boss 302 in the 1/4 mile.

By the way, the Lexus LF-A is an amazing car,it sounds amazing,looks great and it's a japanese car. I guess if you dont like the GT-R,you're a hater.
__________________
BMW R1200RT
All purpose, No pretense.

I'm back.

Last edited by US///M3; 05-23-2012 at 06:38 PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 06:20 PM   #83
ragingpanda
Lieutenant
7
Rep
513
Posts

 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

I'd definitely consider the new GT500 if I was in the market for a new car. Glad to see Ford stepping it up yet again.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 08:13 PM   #84
Brunotheboxer
Brigadier General
Brunotheboxer's Avatar
United_States
80
Rep
3,003
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boston/Cape Cod

iTrader: (0)

Saving for my Shelby in 2014.
__________________


"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 10:05 PM   #85
ragingclue
One cam is enough
ragingclue's Avatar
87
Rep
6,815
Posts

 
Drives: VF
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: mulletville

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by US///M3 View Post
And regarding straight line numbers,car and driver,Evo determined the M3 is faster than the Boss 302 in the 1/4 mile.
When did C&D determine that (<-- not being confrontational, actually asking when they did, or what times they posted for both)? Didn't they run a 12.8 in the BOSS? IL ran a 12.9, MT ran a 12.3.... Not even the LS edition either.

So I guess Evo has the slowest drivers in the world...?

And how does an M3 beating the lowly 5.0 around a track by 0.1 seconds bode well for the M3 versus the BOSS? The BOSS murders the 5.0 around the track....

You do realize Evo is on an island with their results of what the BOSS does versus the M3, right? They're the exception, not the rule. But OH THEY'RE EURO SO THEY MUST BE RIGHT.

Last edited by ragingclue; 05-23-2012 at 10:35 PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 10:22 PM   #86
swanson
Convicted Felon
swanson's Avatar
32
Rep
1,602
Posts

 
Drives: chariot
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
When did C&D determine that? Didn't they run a 12.8 in the BOSS? IL ran a 12.9, MT ran a 12.3.... Not even the LS edition either.

So I guess Evo has the slowest drivers in the world...?

And how does an M3 beating the lowly 5.0 around a track by 0.1 seconds bode well for the M3 versus the BOSS? The BOSS murders the 5.0 around the track....

You do realize Evo is on an island with their results of what the BOSS does versus the M3, right? They're the exception, not the rule. But OH THEY'RE EURO SO THEY MUST BE RIGHT.



Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 10:35 PM   #87
Dave07997S
Colonel
38
Rep
2,556
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP Coupe
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Playa del Rey, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post


Apparently, this is a "normal" stock number, people who have seen multiple cars on dynos say it's about the norm, maybe even low. I know it's only a Dynojet but still....

Also, here is another review, but from Autoblog.
That equates to over 700bhp..unbelieveable.

Dave
__________________
2013 M3 Coupe-MR/BLK ZCP, ACM test pipes, BPM Stg2 dev. tune and Megan catback, AFE Stg2. with C/F elbow
Previous rides: 2011 M3 Coupe-MR/Blk
2007 Porsche 997C2S Speed Yellow/Blk sport seats
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 10:38 PM   #88
Dave07997S
Colonel
38
Rep
2,556
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP Coupe
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Playa del Rey, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
When did C&D determine that (<-- not being confrontational, actually asking when they did, or what times they posted for both)? Didn't they run a 12.8 in the BOSS? IL ran a 12.9, MT ran a 12.3.... Not even the LS edition either.

So I guess Evo has the slowest drivers in the world...?

And how does an M3 beating the lowly 5.0 around a track by 0.1 seconds bode well for the M3 versus the BOSS? The BOSS murders the 5.0 around the track....

You do realize Evo is on an island with their results of what the BOSS does versus the M3, right? They're the exception, not the rule. But OH THEY'RE EURO SO THEY MUST BE RIGHT.


Lightning Lap of America the M3 was over 4 sec. faster per lap. Laguna is just one track. Also in that MT test the M3 was on Contis while the 5.0L had the much better summer Pirellis.

However, just the fact to be so close is a major win for Ford.


Dave
__________________
2013 M3 Coupe-MR/BLK ZCP, ACM test pipes, BPM Stg2 dev. tune and Megan catback, AFE Stg2. with C/F elbow
Previous rides: 2011 M3 Coupe-MR/Blk
2007 Porsche 997C2S Speed Yellow/Blk sport seats
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:59 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST