E90Post
 


TireRack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Rev drops



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-22-2012, 10:39 PM   #1
e9012345
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: e90
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: North York

Posts: 396
iTrader: (0)

Rev drops

How fast do your revs drops? I feel as if I have an air leak in the intake as the rectangular rubber hose does not fully seal and clamp around the snorkel duct.

My rev's SHOOOT down extremely quickly - I drove a friends 350z and was amazed at how long they stayed floating and how long before they dipped.

(I have a K&N Drop in, Cyba scoops and a charcoal delete)

Whats normal?

Thanks
e9012345 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-23-2012, 11:03 AM   #2
boogiee90
POGI
 
boogiee90's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 E90 Jet black
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 1,046
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2006 e90  [2.75]
Well your driving a totally different car.....
Go out and
Drive a similar thrn compare
boogiee90 is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      05-24-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
RupertPupkin
Lieutenant Colonel
 
RupertPupkin's Avatar
 
Drives: Freak Beast
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East

Posts: 1,534
iTrader: (5)

I assume 6MT? Mine drop very fast and at first it took some learning to be able to shift fast enough to catch the revs.

With AC on its impossible to be smooth. They drop stupid fast with the AC on.

The devil is the dual mass flywheel....



Quote:
Originally Posted by e9012345 View Post
How fast do your revs drops? I feel as if I have an air leak in the intake as the rectangular rubber hose does not fully seal and clamp around the snorkel duct.

My rev's SHOOOT down extremely quickly - I drove a friends 350z and was amazed at how long they stayed floating and how long before they dipped.

(I have a K&N Drop in, Cyba scoops and a charcoal delete)

Whats normal?

Thanks
RupertPupkin is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-24-2012, 04:09 PM   #4
jc5988
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2010 328i 6MT Sport Pkg
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: SOCAL

Posts: 339
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RupertPupkin View Post
I assume 6MT? Mine drop very fast and at first it took some learning to be able to shift fast enough to catch the revs.

With AC on its impossible to be smooth. They drop stupid fast with the AC on.

The devil is the dual mass flywheel....
wait til u get lightweight single mass, it will drop faster! did u get rid of the CDV? also OP u need find out if you have 6mt and need chop the CDV, it will help tranny catch those dropping rev faster.
__________________
N51- Perfomance Intake - Performance Exhaust - ESS Tuned - Performance SSK
jc5988 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-24-2012, 05:53 PM   #5
RupertPupkin
Lieutenant Colonel
 
RupertPupkin's Avatar
 
Drives: Freak Beast
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East

Posts: 1,534
iTrader: (5)

Yea ditched the CDV the first week and have the performance SSK. You have a single mass? Im going to need a new clutch soon I fear and have been looking in to options. What do you have?




Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5988 View Post
wait til u get lightweight single mass, it will drop faster! did u get rid of the CDV? also OP u need find out if you have 6mt and need chop the CDV, it will help tranny catch those dropping rev faster.
RupertPupkin is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-24-2012, 06:07 PM   #6
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
 
e90pilot's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 325i
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Oakland, CA

Posts: 2,088
iTrader: (3)

The speed at which the revs drop (assuming everything is working correctly) is a factor of engine tuning and rotating mass in the engine and flywheel. This car has very low rotating mass for being stock so it spins down fast. The fact that's it's dual mass doesn't really make it spin down faster. In fact, most dual mass flywheels are heavier than their single mass counterparts. Cars will heavy flywheels get better gas mileage since the flywheel can keep the car rolling longer because of it's rotating mass. Cars with light flywheels are harder to drive smoothly and harder to get moving from a stop. Since then engine has no rotating mass, it has a tendency to stop spinning lol.

That floating or "rev hang" you felt in your friend's 350z is all engine tuning. Whenever you snap the throttle closed, you end up with excess fuel which ends up in your exhaust unburned. Not so good for emissions or your cat. Some cars will advance the timing or keep the throttle open until the fuel is reduced. Tuning companies are able to remove that rev hang. If you have a loud exhaust, you will hear the raw fuel burble and pop as it explodes in the cat (or out the tail pipe if you don't have a cat).
__________________
--Marcelo
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
e90pilot is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-24-2012, 06:13 PM   #7
jc5988
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2010 328i 6MT Sport Pkg
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: SOCAL

Posts: 339
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RupertPupkin View Post
Yea ditched the CDV the first week and have the performance SSK. You have a single mass? Im going to need a new clutch soon I fear and have been looking in to options. What do you have?
I still got OEM, thinking ditching it too after my warranty is up. I had lightweight single mass flywheel on my GTI 1.8t before, it made big difference in 2nd gear and i like the way rev drop faster cuz it u get more engine brake.

bad part is the clutch chattering, but i am already getting slight chatter on my 328i now on a hot day.
__________________
N51- Perfomance Intake - Performance Exhaust - ESS Tuned - Performance SSK
jc5988 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-24-2012, 06:19 PM   #8
RupertPupkin
Lieutenant Colonel
 
RupertPupkin's Avatar
 
Drives: Freak Beast
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East

Posts: 1,534
iTrader: (5)

Yea My buddy has a soutbend stage 2 on an mk6 gli stage 2 tune and it chatter ssooooo bad, turn ac on and it sounds horrible.

My current original OEM one chatters pretty bad. Anyone with 6MT every get a slip feeling coming from a stop in first?





Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5988 View Post
I still got OEM, thinking ditching it too after my warranty is up. I had lightweight single mass flywheel on my GTI 1.8t before, it made big difference in 2nd gear and i like the way rev drop faster cuz it u get more engine brake.

bad part is the clutch chattering, but i am already getting slight chatter on my 328i now on a hot day.
RupertPupkin is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-24-2012, 06:23 PM   #9
RupertPupkin
Lieutenant Colonel
 
RupertPupkin's Avatar
 
Drives: Freak Beast
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East

Posts: 1,534
iTrader: (5)

Can the OEM clutch be adjusted? Is it a DIY? Mine only gives me this slipping feeling in first gear, never any others. I can bog it down in a higher gear up a hill and gun it and no slipping at all.




Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5988 View Post
I still got OEM, thinking ditching it too after my warranty is up. I had lightweight single mass flywheel on my GTI 1.8t before, it made big difference in 2nd gear and i like the way rev drop faster cuz it u get more engine brake.

bad part is the clutch chattering, but i am already getting slight chatter on my 328i now on a hot day.
RupertPupkin is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-24-2012, 08:04 PM   #10
e9012345
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: e90
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: North York

Posts: 396
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90pilot View Post
The speed at which the revs drop (assuming everything is working correctly) is a factor of engine tuning and rotating mass in the engine and flywheel. This car has very low rotating mass for being stock so it spins down fast. The fact that's it's dual mass doesn't really make it spin down faster. In fact, most dual mass flywheels are heavier than their single mass counterparts. Cars will heavy flywheels get better gas mileage since the flywheel can keep the car rolling longer because of it's rotating mass. Cars with light flywheels are harder to drive smoothly and harder to get moving from a stop. Since then engine has no rotating mass, it has a tendency to stop spinning lol.

That floating or "rev hang" you felt in your friend's 350z is all engine tuning. Whenever you snap the throttle closed, you end up with excess fuel which ends up in your exhaust unburned. Not so good for emissions or your cat. Some cars will advance the timing or keep the throttle open until the fuel is reduced. Tuning companies are able to remove that rev hang. If you have a loud exhaust, you will hear the raw fuel burble and pop as it explodes in the cat (or out the tail pipe if you don't have a cat).

Thanks. I have both my CDV deleted and my muffler deleted and I get INSANE amounts of burble and pop when I get off the throttle as well as the quick rev drops. What could that mean together?
e9012345 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-24-2012, 08:07 PM   #11
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
 
e90pilot's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 325i
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Oakland, CA

Posts: 2,088
iTrader: (3)

There's always a little be of overrun in everycar, but BMW might just have it programmed not to burn off the excess fuel or at least not as much as other cars.
__________________
--Marcelo
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
e90pilot is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-24-2012, 08:25 PM   #12
Hooy
Colonel
 
Hooy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 328i Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston, TX

Posts: 2,765
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2008 E92 328  [2.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90pilot View Post
The speed at which the revs drop (assuming everything is working correctly) is a factor of engine tuning and rotating mass in the engine and flywheel. This car has very low rotating mass for being stock so it spins down fast. The fact that's it's dual mass doesn't really make it spin down faster. In fact, most dual mass flywheels are heavier than their single mass counterparts. Cars will heavy flywheels get better gas mileage since the flywheel can keep the car rolling longer because of it's rotating mass. Cars with light flywheels are harder to drive smoothly and harder to get moving from a stop. Since then engine has no rotating mass, it has a tendency to stop spinning lol.

That floating or "rev hang" you felt in your friend's 350z is all engine tuning. Whenever you snap the throttle closed, you end up with excess fuel which ends up in your exhaust unburned. Not so good for emissions or your cat. Some cars will advance the timing or keep the throttle open until the fuel is reduced. Tuning companies are able to remove that rev hang. If you have a loud exhaust, you will hear the raw fuel burble and pop as it explodes in the cat (or out the tail pipe if you don't have a cat).
I learn something new every day

Now I get why my exhaust pops/gurgles when I let off, thanks!
__________________
Hooy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-24-2012, 09:00 PM   #13
jc5988
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2010 328i 6MT Sport Pkg
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: SOCAL

Posts: 339
iTrader: (0)

here is some info, the "burbling" sound actually consider to be part of the performance power kit to BMW....


"• “Exhaust Burble” sound during engine overrun conditions (new feature only applicable to Power Kits installed on 135i and 335i vehicles with the N55 engine using ISTA/P 2.43 or higher). "
__________________
N51- Perfomance Intake - Performance Exhaust - ESS Tuned - Performance SSK
jc5988 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-24-2012, 11:36 PM   #14
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
 
e90pilot's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 325i
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Oakland, CA

Posts: 2,088
iTrader: (3)

Audi uses an small fuel injector after the cats to make their burble.
__________________
--Marcelo
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
e90pilot is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:28 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST