E90Post
 


TireRack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Race gas or e85



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-25-2012, 02:15 PM   #1
Randomaccess335
Captain
 
Randomaccess335's Avatar
 
Drives: 07' 335I
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: boynton beach, Fl

Posts: 682
iTrader: (9)

Race gas or e85

E85...... A poor mans race gas or so I've heard.
I plan running at the drag strip a few times this hot ass summer for fun and when it's cold again I hope to get my best times.
Question is
Should I save my ms109 for cold weather or use e85 when colder.
Does it matter what use now, just wondering...... What would you do?
Ty,
R
__________________

JB4 G5 ISO , BMS DCI's, Stock Guted DP's, DO Meth kit Trunk Mount, ETS 5" Intercooler, M6 Rims, ER Charge Pipe, Fordged DV's
Cybe 3.8" chrome Tips, Lux Angel Eyes
**********12.07 @ 116***1.99 60'**********
Randomaccess335 is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-25-2012, 02:20 PM   #2
bigdnno98
Major
 
bigdnno98's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 e92 335i MT
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Clarksville, TN

Posts: 1,143
iTrader: (7)

If I recall there's such a thing as winter blend e85. It's not as good as summer blend. If that's true save your ms109 for winter.
__________________
New Project....... 2.4L Long Rod motor for my EVO
03 Evo 8 HTA3582r Blown Motor
09 e92 335i MT Sold 440hp/480tq
bigdnno98 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-25-2012, 02:51 PM   #3
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
 
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Yonkers NY

Posts: 3,337
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW  [3.50]
IMO race gas.

even though we can run e85, i dont think its 100% safe. I've ran a couple gallons of e85 and it sure did feel pretty good. but the fact that it eats up lines and may cause pump failure and does max out the injectors, its alot to worry about.

e85 is much cheaper and you should have no issues if you go to the track with lets say a 50/50 or 60/40 (93/e85) of course 1/4 tank of fuel. if you wanna be safe racegas, if you want a cheaper alternative then e85.
idrift4wd is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-25-2012, 03:11 PM   #4
Thomas@GIAC
Second Lieutenant
 
Thomas@GIAC's Avatar
 
Drives: Stage 3 B5 S4, C5 Z06
Join Date: May 2012
Location: CA

Posts: 283
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomaccess335 View Post
E85...... A poor mans race gas or so I've heard.
I plan running at the drag strip a few times this hot ass summer for fun and when it's cold again I hope to get my best times.
Question is
Should I save my ms109 for cold weather or use e85 when colder.
Does it matter what use now, just wondering...... What would you do?
Ty,
R
If you're comparing apples to apples, then the obvious choice is to go with race gas. We have been able to test race gas for years now, and are able to observe its effects not only on knock but also on internals and fuel delivery components. The jury is still out as to whether E85 can be used long-term with current gasoline fuel delivery systems. Additionally, the lower energy content forces one to run higher IDC.

Considering these points, I personally choose to run water-methanol when I am not running race gas. We have observed the knock patterns of this mixture and feel safe as to its predictability. We have observed a few cases of unstable knock predictability with E85, which is enough to convince me to refrain from it at this point in time.
Thomas@GIAC is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-25-2012, 10:39 PM   #5
Randomaccess335
Captain
 
Randomaccess335's Avatar
 
Drives: 07' 335I
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: boynton beach, Fl

Posts: 682
iTrader: (9)

Ok thanks guys

I ran a e85/93 oct mix before.... Car ran great. I know people still wonder about future side effects of e85 in our bat mobiles, but I'm gonna still do it again. This time 40/60 e85/93oct do some logs for safety of my baby, also I'm gonna up my meth..... Start at 80/20 mix and up meth additive due e85 higher octane.
I don't want to run e85 all the time due to.....the what if....
and I can't run race gas all the time cause I'm poor.....my wife love high heels..... Thank god she looks great in them.
AnyWays..... Thanks
__________________

JB4 G5 ISO , BMS DCI's, Stock Guted DP's, DO Meth kit Trunk Mount, ETS 5" Intercooler, M6 Rims, ER Charge Pipe, Fordged DV's
Cybe 3.8" chrome Tips, Lux Angel Eyes
**********12.07 @ 116***1.99 60'**********
Randomaccess335 is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-26-2012, 01:27 AM   #6
JamesM3M5
Some dude
 
Drives: E28 M5, E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Northern VA

Posts: 1,706
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas@GIAC View Post
If you're comparing apples to apples, then the obvious choice is to go with race gas. We have been able to test race gas for years now, and are able to observe its effects not only on knock but also on internals and fuel delivery components. The jury is still out as to whether E85 can be used long-term with current gasoline fuel delivery systems. Additionally, the lower energy content forces one to run higher IDC.

Considering these points, I personally choose to run water-methanol when I am not running race gas. We have observed the knock patterns of this mixture and feel safe as to its predictability. We have observed a few cases of unstable knock predictability with E85, which is enough to convince me to refrain from it at this point in time.
Interesting. Thanks for posting that info. You guys have been around as long as I've been into cars (German ones exclusively) back in the first days of the E30 M3. This flies in the face of some of the other strong opinions here, e.g. "All the STI and Evo guys will laugh at you/spit on your car/rape your mother if you say you use meth... yadda x3.

E85 definitely has its benefits, but in our particular cars, proceed with caution.
__________________
RRT Racing
E92 335i/6MT Dinan Stage 3: intercooler, oil cooler, intake, flash, exhaust, LW dual-mass flywheel.
Vishnu PWM methanol custom trunk mount, Diffsonline 3-clutch Salisbury custom diff, Ohlins Road and Track coilovers, Vorshlag camber plates, much more...
E28 M5 w/ buncha stuff, R171 SLK350
JamesM3M5 is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-26-2012, 04:38 AM   #7
boostaholic786
Lieutenant
 
boostaholic786's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 JB4 G5 ISO RB's FBO+40%E85
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: irving tx

Posts: 557
iTrader: (0)

I have been running a small mixture for a while now. Something on the lines of 2.5 gallons E85/93 the rest for about a total of 13 months now always have filled it a certain way meaning I get down the a quarter tank, then fill the 2.5 gallons of E85, then quickly bolt across the street to put chevron 93. Im not using krogers e85. And also there is a thread if you search that some engineer from BMW designed the fuel system on the e9X's. He said they knew ethanol was coming and going to be mandatory so BMW did the proper adjustments to withstand the corrosiveness of the water that the E85 produces. In fact I PM'd the guy and wanted to find out more details and if you want me to I can post the conversation we had. Made me feel 10000000 times more comfortable using it. I took my car in for vehicle check which i told my service advisor to check my HPFP because Im having "long cranks" is what I said I wanted it checked out for. and sure enough everything looked incredible infact like a car that had 11K miles on it as well as injectors. So im a firm believer. And honestly, once you do it one time, you will never go back to just regular 93 lol
boostaholic786 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-26-2012, 06:20 AM   #8
D_Smiderreen
Banned
 
Drives: Please delete my account
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: please delete my account

Posts: 157
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomaccess335 View Post
E85...... A poor mans race gas or so I've heard.
I plan running at the drag strip a few times this hot ass summer for fun and when it's cold again I hope to get my best times.
Question is
Should I save my ms109 for cold weather or use e85 when colder.
Does it matter what use now, just wondering...... What would you do?
Ty,
R
Since you'll be at the track just use race gas.
D_Smiderreen is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-26-2012, 07:02 AM   #9
mo2566
Second Lieutenant
 
mo2566's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335i e90
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SRQ, FL

Posts: 220
iTrader: (0)

sub'd
mo2566 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-26-2012, 09:28 AM   #10
JamesM3M5
Some dude
 
Drives: E28 M5, E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Northern VA

Posts: 1,706
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostaholic786 View Post
I have been running a small mixture for a while now. Something on the lines of 2.5 gallons E85/93 the rest for about a total of 13 months now always have filled it a certain way meaning I get down the a quarter tank, then fill the 2.5 gallons of E85, then quickly bolt across the street to put chevron 93. Im not using krogers e85. And also there is a thread if you search that some engineer from BMW designed the fuel system on the e9X's. He said they knew ethanol was coming and going to be mandatory so BMW did the proper adjustments to withstand the corrosiveness of the water that the E85 produces. In fact I PM'd the guy and wanted to find out more details and if you want me to I can post the conversation we had. Made me feel 10000000 times more comfortable using it. I took my car in for vehicle check which i told my service advisor to check my HPFP because Im having "long cranks" is what I said I wanted it checked out for. and sure enough everything looked incredible infact like a car that had 11K miles on it as well as injectors. So im a firm believer. And honestly, once you do it one time, you will never go back to just regular 93 lol
That's some great info, thanks for sharing! The more anecdotal evidence we can collect, the better the decisions we can make on this stuff in the not too distant future. Too bad there's just one E85 station within 30 minutes of my house. More in DC, but you won't catch me driving into that hell just for friggin fuel.
__________________
RRT Racing
E92 335i/6MT Dinan Stage 3: intercooler, oil cooler, intake, flash, exhaust, LW dual-mass flywheel.
Vishnu PWM methanol custom trunk mount, Diffsonline 3-clutch Salisbury custom diff, Ohlins Road and Track coilovers, Vorshlag camber plates, much more...
E28 M5 w/ buncha stuff, R171 SLK350
JamesM3M5 is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-26-2012, 09:34 AM   #11
Dave W.
Lieutenant
 
Drives: Porsche 951, 1992 Eagle Talon
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SF Bay Area

Posts: 477
iTrader: (0)

I don't think Florida gets a winter blend of E85 since it stays warm all year around. I also wouldn't worry about fuel lines since you'll be mixing E85 with gasoline 50/50 at most. If you're worried about it, just add one bottle of injector/fuel system cleaner to the next fillup.
Dave W. is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-26-2012, 09:35 AM   #12
07_335i_AW
Captain
 
07_335i_AW's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Las Vegas

Posts: 636
iTrader: (3)

E85 is just so much easier to run. I have 5 gallons of ms109 in my garage and every time I go to the track I just don't have enough time to run all my 93 out to run the 109. Last time I went, I just added e85 for a 50/50 mix.
__________________
[19" VORTEX TUNING LM's]
[JB4][BMS DCI] [CYBA INTAKE SCOOPS] [M3 REP FRONT BUMPER] [H&R SPORT W/ KONI YELLOWS] [MATTE BLACK GRILLES][VRSF DOWNPIPES][GLOSS BLACK VINYL ROOL][LIP SPOILER]
http://www.facebook.com/thelastdetailnv
07_335i_AW is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:24 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST