E90Post

Horizon LED

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > ECU Adaptation

07-23-2007, 01:08 AM   #1
335iheLLraiseR
اوليسيس
United_States
Rep

Drives: e92 335

Garage List
2007 e92 335  [5.00]
ECU Adaptation

theoritically, how long would the ecu take to adapt to certain mods?
i.e. D.Ps and exhaust.

i put this thread in the induction section but it generally deals with the whole car, the exhaust was used as an example.

BTW,i did search, but the threads that popped up, only mention the adaptation off hand, no one speaks about it in detail.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2007, 01:24 AM   #2
StrikeTheMatch
Private
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iheLLraiseR View Post
theoritically, how long would the ecu take to adapt to certain mods?
i.e. D.Ps and exhaust.

i put this thread in the induction section but it generally deals with the whole car, the exhaust was used as an example.

BTW,i did search, but the threads that popped up, only mention the adaptation off hand, no one speaks about it in detail.
There is no "adaptation" that occurs when you make these mods. Installing less restrictive DPs or exhaust parts simply improve the efficiency of the engine, it takes less power to push the exhaust gases out after combustion.

In some cases these parts can improve the thermal efficiency of the engine which theoretically would allow you to make adjustments to the fuel maps or the timing curve. You would need to create these new maps. The ECU will not just advance timing or modify AFRs beyond its design limits.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2007, 01:27 AM   #3
335iheLLraiseR
اوليسيس
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 e92 335  [5.00]
ok, so what mods would require the the adaptation?

i'm asking because i had another forum member use that term inreference to a mod.

so is it safe to assume the difference in performance is felt/noticed right after implementation of the said mod, in this case, the dps, and exh? no need to wait?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2007, 01:57 AM   #4
StrikeTheMatch
Private
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 335

The "adaptation" term can get thrown around somewhat loosely.

Think of the ECU as a whole bunch of spreadsheets. Each spreadsheet contains a fuel/Spark map that is prescribed for a specific set of conditions. The individual cells in the spreadsheet indicate how much fuel is to be delivered and how much spark advance is to occur, etc for a specific RPM. The ECU contains as many as 70 of these spreadsheets that it will switch back and forth between as conditions dictate.

So if you make mods that improve the pumping efficiency of the engine. The ECU will automatically select the appropriate map. If you move more or denser air into the combustion chamber the ECU will automatically adjust by giving you more fuel.

There is a limit to this however. If your mods improve the efficiency of the engine beyond its design limitations the ECU will not have an appropriate map for these conditions and you will see no additional power from these mods. This is the reason why people ask guys like Shiv for a race gas set of MAPS so that they can take advantage of the fuel and produce more power.

You might have heard people talking about the ECU adapting for use of 91 or 93 octane gas. This “adaptation” is just the ECU selecting the map set appropriate for each type of fuel. The reason that this is perceived as an adaptation is that the ECU can take a longer time to switch between these set of maps than others due to the nature of how the ECU determines what type of fuel is in the car.

Hope that helps
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2007, 03:23 AM   #5
335iheLLraiseR
اوليسيس
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 e92 335  [5.00]
holy shit....thats a reallly good response (applause). thank you, thats exactly what i wanted to know.
Appreciate 0