E90Post
 


VIBE Motorsports
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Made the mistake of driving a Cadillac CTS-V



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-21-2012, 04:01 PM   #67
mookie45
First Lieutenant
 
mookie45's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Jet Black 328i
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Weston, FL

Posts: 361
iTrader: (0)

The outside design of the CTS-V coupe is awesome, the interior needs major help but that car is a beast.
mookie45 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-21-2012, 04:20 PM   #68
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
 
MediaArtist's Avatar
 
Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Laguna Beach, CA

Posts: 1,189
iTrader: (0)

I don't know how people can even compare the interior of the E9x to the CTS-V. Are we looking at the same cars? The Cadillac interior seems to be a lot more posh than any E9x I've sat in (including the one in my garage).
__________________
'13 Audi A6
'07 Porsche GT3 RS
'08 BMW E90 335i
MediaArtist is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-21-2012, 04:47 PM   #69
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
 
NewYearsBoy's Avatar
 
Drives: IS 300
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bradenton FL

Posts: 2,365
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookie45 View Post
The outside design of the CTS-V coupe is awesome, the interior needs major help but that car is a beast.
HUH?? Have you sat in one..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaArtist View Post
I don't know how people can even compare the interior of the E9x to the CTS-V. Are we looking at the same cars? The Cadillac interior seems to be a lot more posh than any E9x I've sat in (including the one in my garage).
__________________
--------------------------------------------------------------

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
NewYearsBoy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-21-2012, 05:00 PM   #70
mookie45
First Lieutenant
 
mookie45's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Jet Black 328i
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Weston, FL

Posts: 361
iTrader: (0)

[quote=NewYearsBoy;12007734]HUH?? Have you sat in one..

Yeah my neighbor has one and it is exactly like my moms 2008 cts sedan. Looks identical actually and it is nothing spectacular at all
mookie45 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-21-2012, 05:01 PM   #71
swanson
Convicted Felon
 
swanson's Avatar
 
Drives: chariot
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NY

Posts: 1,415
iTrader: (0)

I think the interior is great. My dad had a 2008 CTS back when it first came out(Sept'07)and the interior was a huge leap over anything being made in America. Thats the first try. Imagine how good the new CTS is gonna look when it comes out in a few years? Have you guys seen the interior of the new ATS? How about that hideous interior of the new 3 series? Its all about the emblem on the hood for most. As long as there is a european marque on the hood, the interior looks amazing regardless how shitty it is.
swanson is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-21-2012, 05:22 PM   #72
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
 
NewYearsBoy's Avatar
 
Drives: IS 300
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bradenton FL

Posts: 2,365
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
[quote=mookie45;12007807]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYearsBoy View Post
HUH?? Have you sat in one..

Yeah my neighbor has one and it is exactly like my moms 2008 cts sedan. Looks identical actually and it is nothing spectacular at all
__________________
--------------------------------------------------------------

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
NewYearsBoy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-21-2012, 05:42 PM   #73
ragingclue
One cam is enough
 
ragingclue's Avatar
 
Drives: VF
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: mulletville

Posts: 6,774
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookie45 View Post
Yeah my neighbor has one and it is exactly like my moms 2008 cts sedan. Looks identical actually and it is nothing spectacular at all
So you're saying the V interior is identical to base?
ragingclue is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-21-2012, 05:59 PM   #74
ybbiz34
Moderator
 
ybbiz34's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 C63 AMG Sedan
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 4,500
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
Yeah I love how only the American rags can possibly be biased. But the Euro rags.... INCONCEIVABLE!!!!

"Just for this specific course", referring to the 'Ring? You do know why manufacturers bench there, right? Because it covers pretty much every aspect of balancing a chassis. It's a highly technical and widely varying course.

Please list your credentials behind your expertise on these vehicles, along with a list of those you have driven and where (which I'm sure the Z06, CTS-V, and BOSS are on, right???). Also, I'm not sure if you realize this, but your sig screams, HEY I'M VIOLATING ToU, PERMABAN MY IPS IMMEDIATELY. You might want to change that, especially before posting in a thread with a mod.

Anyway, for those saying the times for the American cars are "fake", maybe take a look at the guys who put up a lot of those times. Pobst has chosen Euro cars over American cars after driving them back to back on the same course, even when the American cars win. Now tell me.... Why would he sandbag the Euro car and then pick it anyway? He wouldn't.

I think it still takes more skill to extract the full potential of a lot of these cars, BOSS and Shelby included (and I'd imagine CTS-V and ZL1 as well). The balance of steering and feedback along with their predictable tendencies at the limit make the amateur driver feel like they can go faster in the M3 versus some of these cars. That makes a metric shit tonne of sense. However, one has to realize that these professional drivers, like Pobst, have the skill and experience to drive the American cars much faster than your average Joe. It doesn't surprise me that some of you think the M3 is faster from the driver's seat. That's to be expected when amateurs are at the wheel (<--- This is NOT a dig at anyone, I'm an amateur too). However, this isn't necessarily going to translate to faster lap times in the hands of a pro. They're professionals for a reason.

As far as the accusation that GM sent out a hero car to do that lap.... Who doesn't send ringers to the media? Off the top of my head, the ridonkulous '07 335i that was making rounds is one I can think of. All manufacturers do it. If your hero car doesn't lap as fast as the other guy's hero car, maybe their car is indeed faster? Maybe you just suck at setting up your hero car.... I don't know. But in the end, why is it so hard to believe a 556 HP car can lap the ring that fast? Because of its weight? Well I don't mean to compare the CTS-V to the GT-R, but Godzilla has proven weight can be effectively ignored to an extent (albeit through a great AWD system). What about the M5? That thing has been thumbing its nose at curb weight for a long time too. So now when Cadillac does it, it must be faked? Gimme a freaking break.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Design1stCode2nd View Post
Where are you guys seeing $12,500 off MSRP, best I can see online is $2k to dealers and $2k in loyalty or conquest cash?
Hmm I had the following: $2k in conquest, $2.5k dealer discount, $8k GM/Ally Rebate. I'd need to have the dealer email me the breakdown to be 100% sure though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayani_1 View Post
Oh and another thing is that sitting in both my best friends M3's it seems like BMW did a half ass job on the center tunnel for M3's right around the gear box to where the center armrest or storage bin is located. Because in my E92 335i the wood interior runs all the way up to the armrest from the gear box. The entire center tunnel has matching wood. But in the M3 there is no wood or carbon fiber instead a plain jane naked black plastic. Why BMW.....it makes no sense.
+1
__________________
'13 Iridium Silver C63 AMG Sedan (540 hp; 500 lb-ft)
ybbiz34 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-22-2012, 11:22 AM   #75
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
 
MediaArtist's Avatar
 
Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Laguna Beach, CA

Posts: 1,189
iTrader: (0)

I seriously think people need to go to an Auto Show or a Cars & Coffee meet and sit inside the CTS-V. Yeah it's a bit blingy, but the interior is so much more posh than what you will see in any BMW. I think if you're going to criticize the car, at least sit inside of it and experience it yourself instead of relying on the old "all U.S cars have crap interiors" stereotype.
__________________
'13 Audi A6
'07 Porsche GT3 RS
'08 BMW E90 335i
MediaArtist is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-23-2012, 08:20 AM   #76
DASHOCKER
The power of V!
 
DASHOCKER's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 335i coupe steptronic
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NYC

Posts: 1,857
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
1998 Lexus Gs400  [0.00]
2010 ebony & ivory  [0.00]
2006 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 pics  [0.00]
2009 e92 335 xdrive  [0.00]
Send a message via Yahoo to DASHOCKER
cts v is a winner..
__________________
2007 335 coupe Alpine white, steptronic, sportpack, etc. (gone)
2006 X3 3.0 steptronic Titanium Silver, 2009 E92 335xdrive, next.... Caddy CTS_V! 13 Lincoln MKZ? hmmm.
DASHOCKER is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      05-23-2012, 08:12 PM   #77
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Kayani_1's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW E92/E60
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Houston

Posts: 1,550
iTrader: (1)

Have you ever heard a saying that you can't judge a book by its cover. The caddy interior is much improved specially in CTS-V form and I will be the first one to tell you that from my experience with them. But trust me those that have sat in CTS-V for long time or owned or drove it on track or daily will also tell you without any bias. That there is still a difference in build quality between 5 series/3 series and CTS-V .

For example the buttons do feel a bit flimsy and the seats are not all that great for Recaros. Now not saying they are horrible but they are not as great as they could be when you compare them against other Recaro seats. The black looking extra shiny trim pieces all around center stack looks fine in a picture. But in person it looks a little plasticky and not look very high quality.

Also, you must have misunderstood me I am not claiming that BMW's are Bentley's or anything and Caddy CTS-V is trash. Me and the OP both agree that there is fit and finish and quality of materials difference when you compare them side by side in favor of BMW.

Either way no one is buying the CTS-V for their higher interior quality. But rather for a impressive performance potential at a bargain price. If they were that concerned about interior quality they would have gone with Audi or Lexus instead of CTS-V.

Regardless I really like CTS-V specially the coupe.



Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYearsBoy View Post
Jesus what do you guys drive Bentleys???

The interior is Awesome.. The seats don't peal, the buttons work right, you can see the digital screen, and best of all no foam dash.. Its a win win everywhere..
__________________
nick named "BAD 3"
Cobb tune, RennArt catback non resonated exhaust, M-sport steering (racing alcantara & retrofit M3 paddle shifters.), Alpina B3 transmission flash, AFE powered sealed CAI, LED angels, E93 M3 Front Swaybar, 235/35/19x9 front & 275/30/19x9.5 rear. When in doubt...flat out

Last edited by Kayani_1; 05-23-2012 at 08:36 PM.
Kayani_1 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-24-2012, 12:49 AM   #78
TracerHawk
First Lieutenant
 
TracerHawk's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 BMW E92 335i
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Scottsdale, AZ

Posts: 341
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYearsBoy View Post
Jesus what do you guys drive Bentleys???

The interior is Awesome.. The seats don't peal, the buttons work right, you can see the digital screen, and best of all no foam dash.. Its a win win everywhere..
Agree 100% NewYearsBoy. I love that picture of the CTS-V interior and was going to post it myself. I also really like the aggressive, unique exterior design of the CTS-V coupe. However, I heard the rear visibility in it was pretty rough. Still, if I could get this car for 12,500 off MSRP, I very well might pull the trigger on something like that. Is 12k off really attainable? And if so, is half that due to the 2013 models being released soon so you're buying the previous model year basically? If so, it's just adding in the last years depreciation. Built into the discount.
__________________
2007 BMW E92 335i
Monaco Blue, Black Dakota Leather, Gray Poplar Trim
6MT, Sport Package, Premium Package, Comfort Access, Nav., Huper Optik tint

Last edited by TracerHawk; 05-24-2012 at 09:01 PM.
TracerHawk is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-24-2012, 09:38 AM   #79
kyleb350
Brigadier General
 
kyleb350's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: LoMbard, IL

Posts: 4,169
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracerHawk View Post
Agree 100% NewYearsBoy. I love that picture of the CTS-V interior and was going to post it myself. I also really like the aggressive, unique exterior design of the CTS-V coupe. However, I heard the rear visibility in it was pretty rough. Still, I'd I could get this car for 12,500 off MSRP, I very well might pull the trigger on something like that. Is 12k off really attainable? And if so, is half that due to the 2013 models being released soon so you're buying the previous model year basically? If so, it's just adding in the last years depreciation. Built into the discount.
It's Memorial Day Weekend, so if you COULD get 12k off MSRP, now would be the time
kyleb350 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-24-2012, 12:15 PM   #80
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
 
NewYearsBoy's Avatar
 
Drives: IS 300
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bradenton FL

Posts: 2,365
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayani_1 View Post
Have you ever heard a saying that you can't judge a book by its cover. The caddy interior is much improved specially in CTS-V form and I will be the first one to tell you that from my experience with them. But trust me those that have sat in CTS-V for long time or owned or drove it on track or daily will also tell you without any bias. That there is still a difference in build quality between 5 series/3 series and CTS-V .

For example the buttons do feel a bit flimsy and the seats are not all that great for Recaros. Now not saying they are horrible but they are not as great as they could be when you compare them against other Recaro seats. The black looking extra shiny trim pieces all around center stack looks fine in a picture. But in person it looks a little plasticky and not look very high quality.

Also, you must have misunderstood me I am not claiming that BMW's are Bentley's or anything and Caddy CTS-V is trash. Me and the OP both agree that there is fit and finish and quality of materials difference when you compare them side by side in favor of BMW.

Either way no one is buying the CTS-V for their higher interior quality. But rather for a impressive performance potential at a bargain price. If they were that concerned about interior quality they would have gone with Audi or Lexus instead of CTS-V.

Regardless I really like CTS-V specially the coupe.
Ok, sorry I just felt like people were really ragging on this car and it is very nice. I had a base model Toyota as a loaner from BMW and that was horrible..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracerHawk View Post
Agree 100% NewYearsBoy. I love that picture of the CTS-V interior and was going to post it myself. I also really like the aggressive, unique exterior design of the CTS-V coupe. However, I heard the rear visibility in it was pretty rough. Still, I'd I could get this car for 12,500 off MSRP, I very well might pull the trigger on something like that. Is 12k off really attainable? And if so, is half that due to the 2013 models being released soon so you're buying the previous model year basically? If so, it's just adding in the last years depreciation. Built into the discount.
So have I... But its so fast you will just be passing people instead of being passed so not a biggie.. JK..
__________________
--------------------------------------------------------------

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
NewYearsBoy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-28-2012, 07:15 PM   #81
Digital.James
Colonel
 
Digital.James's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NC

Posts: 2,609
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
Beat the M3 here too:

http://www.fastestlaps.com/laptimes/4ca79a3c1ebd6.html

Is it faster on every track? Probably not. Will the driver make a difference? Always - no matter the car.

Point is the CTS-V can hang and you kind of just popped off at the mouth, for whatever reason, before you knew much about it. It's okay bro. Your car is still awesome but I assure you that there's always someone/something faster.
Actually, I've test driven a CTS-V a couple times. And as much as I've tried to like it, I couldn't get past the ugly design of the grill as stated in my first post. But, that being said it didn't feel all that fast in the corners. I told my self a million times while driving it, it just doesn't feel like the fastest production sedan around the ring. It was fast in a straight line to me, and definitely wasn't very nimble in the corners. My M3 feels huge, the CTS-V felt like a aircraft carrier. I never said the M3 was faster, actually I think it's pretty slow in a straight line. My 335 was much faster. If you think this car will make you the fastest man on the planet... get it
Digital.James is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-28-2012, 07:17 PM   #82
Digital.James
Colonel
 
Digital.James's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NC

Posts: 2,609
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
Yeah I love how only the American rags can possibly be biased. But the Euro rags.... INCONCEIVABLE!!!!



"Just for this specific course", referring to the 'Ring? You do know why manufacturers bench there, right? Because it covers pretty much every aspect of balancing a chassis. It's a highly technical and widely varying course.

Please list your credentials behind your expertise on these vehicles, along with a list of those you have driven and where (which I'm sure the Z06, CTS-V, and BOSS are on, right???). Also, I'm not sure if you realize this, but your sig screams, HEY I'M VIOLATING ToU, PERMABAN MY IPS IMMEDIATELY. You might want to change that, especially before posting in a thread with a mod.

Anyway, for those saying the times for the American cars are "fake", maybe take a look at the guys who put up a lot of those times. Pobst has chosen Euro cars over American cars after driving them back to back on the same course, even when the American cars win. Now tell me.... Why would he sandbag the Euro car and then pick it anyway? He wouldn't.

I think it still takes more skill to extract the full potential of a lot of these cars, BOSS and Shelby included (and I'd imagine CTS-V and ZL1 as well). The balance of steering and feedback along with their predictable tendencies at the limit make the amateur driver feel like they can go faster in the M3 versus some of these cars. That makes a metric shit tonne of sense. However, one has to realize that these professional drivers, like Pobst, have the skill and experience to drive the American cars much faster than your average Joe. It doesn't surprise me that some of you think the M3 is faster from the driver's seat. That's to be expected when amateurs are at the wheel (<--- This is NOT a dig at anyone, I'm an amateur too). However, this isn't necessarily going to translate to faster lap times in the hands of a pro. They're professionals for a reason.

As far as the accusation that GM sent out a hero car to do that lap.... Who doesn't send ringers to the media? Off the top of my head, the ridonkulous '07 335i that was making rounds is one I can think of. All manufacturers do it. If your hero car doesn't lap as fast as the other guy's hero car, maybe their car is indeed faster? Maybe you just suck at setting up your hero car.... I don't know. But in the end, why is it so hard to believe a 556 HP car can lap the ring that fast? Because of its weight? Well I don't mean to compare the CTS-V to the GT-R, but Godzilla has proven weight can be effectively ignored to an extent (albeit through a great AWD system). What about the M5? That thing has been thumbing its nose at curb weight for a long time too. So now when Cadillac does it, it must be faked? Gimme a freaking break.
You're right, every car maker sends out ringers. And everyone keeps falling for them.
Digital.James is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-28-2012, 07:38 PM   #83
ybbiz34
Moderator
 
ybbiz34's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 C63 AMG Sedan
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 4,500
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital.James View Post
Actually, I've test driven a CTS-V a couple times. And as much as I've tried to like it, I couldn't get past the ugly design of the grill as stated in my first post. But, that being said it didn't feel all that fast in the corners. I told my self a million times while driving it, it just doesn't feel like the fastest production sedan around the ring. It was fast in a straight line to me, and definitely wasn't very nimble in the corners. My M3 feels huge, the CTS-V felt like a aircraft carrier. I never said the M3 was faster, actually I think it's pretty slow in a straight line. My 335 was much faster. If you think this car will make you the fastest man on the planet... get it
No, I don't think it will make me the fastest man on the planet. That title belongs to Dario Franchitti currently.

Looks like we just have different opinions. I was quite impressed be the handling of the CTS-V. It felt bigger and heavier than my 335i, yes, but it did not feel like it weighed 4,300 pounds.
__________________
'13 Iridium Silver C63 AMG Sedan (540 hp; 500 lb-ft)
ybbiz34 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-06-2012, 01:29 AM   #84
TracerHawk
First Lieutenant
 
TracerHawk's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 BMW E92 335i
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Scottsdale, AZ

Posts: 341
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I called a dealership this last Memorial Day weekend on a used 2012 CTS-V Coupe here in Scottsdale with 2200 miles.. I figured with it being close to the 2013's being released, the 2012's would be discounted maybe 6-7k due to automatic depreciation being a model year older. I also thought buying used with 2200 miles instead of new would drop it 6-7k. So, those projections for 12,500 off may have been accurate I thought. However, this dealership wanted $68,900 on a used 2012 model with 2200 miles!

Pretty ridiculous. I could buy brand-new at that price. So, that means I'll pretty much go with the new F32 335i's when they come out next year, or look to buy a 2013 Audi S5. I'll wait a bit either way though this year before I pull the trigger I think.
__________________
2007 BMW E92 335i
Monaco Blue, Black Dakota Leather, Gray Poplar Trim
6MT, Sport Package, Premium Package, Comfort Access, Nav., Huper Optik tint
TracerHawk is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:41 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST