E90Post

Lux Angel Eyes

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Newbie Coding Question

05-21-2012, 03:15 PM   #1
cdswindell

Drives: 2012 335is LeMans Blue

Newbie Coding Question

Picked up a new 2012 335si convertible about a month ago, and would like to change a few things which will require some coding. As I read through the sticky post, there are a couple of things I'm not clear on:

1) to code a new 2012 car (e93), can I still use the executables that were posted over a year ago, or do I need new data files of some type that "know" about my 2012 e93?

2) before actually pulling the trigger and performing an execute function, what are some "safe" things to try to make sure my software is set up correctly and my car is correctly communicating with it?

3) and most importantly, just how badly can I screw up my car if I do something wrong? Although I still need to digest what I've read, I haven't seen very much about backing up the car's current configuration, etc. As a software person by trade, I always like to do a backup before I start on a new project (or even a new phase of a larger project) and wonder if the same concepts apply here.

Thanks, and as I said, I am still digesting the posts on coding basics, so if I've missed a few things, please be gentle....

-- Dave
cdswindell is offline   United_States
      05-21-2012, 03:40 PM   #2
Bendercle
Banned

Drives: 2007 335xi 6MT

Send a message via AIM to Bendercle
Congrats on the new car.

1) You will have to update to new Daten files. Use the files in the sticky as a starting point and overwrite with Daten files you find elsewhere.

2) Just as the DIY says, fire up Inpaload.exe and look for the 2 dots to be black. No need to do the whole airbag test thing, 2 black dots and you're good to go.

3) If you follow the DIY exactly it will make a backup of your car. Even if you skip this step or lose the backup file each module can always be reset to factory easily using the Expertmode profile.

Good luck
Bendercle is offline   United_States
      06-10-2012, 11:18 PM   #3
fmusignac
Private

Drives: 2012 335i Convertible

Cds can you post what you find out? I have an e93 335i 2012 and am looking to do the same.
fmusignac is offline   United_States