E90Post
 


GT Haus
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Dinan N55 Tune????



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-11-2012, 11:30 AM   #23
Shahdog
First Lieutenant
United_States
21

 
Shahdog's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335i mSport Sedan E90 N55
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: California


Posts: 362
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2011 335i  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBounce
If you do not have the Dinan stage 2 tune and drive with it daily, its difficult to take you seriously on downing its performance or Dinan's backing of their product.

I had mine done at Motor Works West... but here are the many dealerships within 50 miles of Edgewater, NJ. (where I live) that sell, support and ENCOURAGE Dinan products and tunes.

For me, PPK wasn't an option since I don't have the 335is, the dealer won't install it. 3 different dealers all suggested Dinan (even the non-dinan dealerships)

If the tune causes any issues with the car that the dealership determines was because of the tune... the dealership contacts Dinan and they cut a check. It's only happened a handful of times from what I was told from the Dinan rep. The warranty is what you are paying a premium for. And for some, it is worth it. Me being one of them.
I definitely think the performance and price point are fine- my only concern was with the "warranty" I've been hearing about. Simply just a lack of knowing, and having two dealers say lol whut we don't support Dinan...maybe they need to be educated. I plan on keeping this 335 for quite some time, so price point is not at all a factor for a tune that would be backed lock stock and barrel by a BMW dealer as you say.

Excellent info Mo - I'll check that list out this week!
What does PPK have to do with 335is?

PPK wouldn't work on 335is

335is already has PPK

PPK is a way for other 335i to get to 335is power only without 8 sec turbo boost
__________________
2011 335i Space Grey Msport E90
BMW Performance Exhaust
PPK Stage I
Lux H8 , HID Fog lights 5k
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 12:31 PM   #24
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
272

 
Dark_Knight_335's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NY/NJ


Posts: 10,523
iTrader: (27)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahdog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramzz335i
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone out there has the newly released engine tune from Dinan for the N55, or at least has herd of anyone with it. I am considering investing in this tune. Sounds like a solid deal to me. 55+hp and 100+tq gains. Thanks
Dinan 2 is great for n54

But is it great for n55?

PPK is conservatively rated
320 hp 332 tq
Dealer can tell you anything

Dinan is perhaps slightly overrated
355 hp 401 tq
Could be involved in dispute between Bmw and dinan without a loaner car in process

Doesn't mean dinan is bad
Just PPK has a lot of good value

I own PPK

Have not tried dinan

Anyone with n55 PPK
Upgrade to dinan 2?
What's this all about? What happened?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 03:13 PM   #25
MoBounce
Turbo Love
United_States
4

 
MoBounce's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335i e90 N55
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Edgewater, NJ.


Posts: 44
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahdog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBounce
If you do not have the Dinan stage 2 tune and drive with it daily, its difficult to take you seriously on downing its performance or Dinan's backing of their product.

I had mine done at Motor Works West... but here are the many dealerships within 50 miles of Edgewater, NJ. (where I live) that sell, support and ENCOURAGE Dinan products and tunes.

For me, PPK wasn't an option since I don't have the 335is, the dealer won't install it. 3 different dealers all suggested Dinan (even the non-dinan dealerships)

If the tune causes any issues with the car that the dealership determines was because of the tune... the dealership contacts Dinan and they cut a check. It's only happened a handful of times from what I was told from the Dinan rep. The warranty is what you are paying a premium for. And for some, it is worth it. Me being one of them.
I definitely think the performance and price point are fine- my only concern was with the "warranty" I've been hearing about. Simply just a lack of knowing, and having two dealers say lol whut we don't support Dinan...maybe they need to be educated. I plan on keeping this 335 for quite some time, so price point is not at all a factor for a tune that would be backed lock stock and barrel by a BMW dealer as you say.

Excellent info Mo - I'll check that list out this week!
What does PPK have to do with 335is?

PPK wouldn't work on 335is

335is already has PPK

PPK is a way for other 335i to get to 335is power only without 8 sec turbo boost
BMW N. America will not allow the PPK on any non sport model 335i. You have to have certain options apparently. I've called BMWNA and been to 2 dealerships. They put in my VIN and they said no. Since I don't have the oil cooler and a certain sport package.
__________________
2011 E90 N55 Xdrive - Black :: Dinan Stage 2 ECU Flash :: Dinan Exhaust :: CP-E Charge Pipe :: P3 Gauge :: 18" Breyton Race GTS Wheels - Matte Black :: KW V1 Coil-Overs :: Coding Goodies :: BMW Black Grills :: LUX H8 Halos :: 15% Tint
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 03:56 PM   #26
D's Bimmer
Captain
Canada
39

 
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto


Posts: 826
iTrader: (1)

Kenny, are you serious with your post?????

I can't even respond but it did make me laugh so kodo's. You need to read some more articles about torque and horsepower. They are not correlated my friend. More importantly, build an engine. Their are many variables that one can design and build into and engine depending on $$$ and desired usage. Rally, dragstrip, oval, etc.

I race an M3 and that car is proof of that point!

You can have a high or low torque engine with similair horsepower ratings.
__________________
2011 335i M-Sport Sedan | Dinan Stage II Tune | Bilstein B12 l M3 Suspension Upgrade l BMW Performance Exhaust | BMW Performance Front Grill | OEM Euro M-Sport | 19" Volk Forged Performance ME's | JL Audio HD 900 | Morel Hybrid Components | JL Audio W3v3
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 04:35 PM   #27
KennyPowers
Brigadier General
130

 
Drives: .....
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gulf Coast


Posts: 4,437
iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by D's Bimmer View Post
Kenny, are you serious with your post?????

I can't even respond but it did make me laugh so kodo's. You need to read some more articles about torque and horsepower. They are not correlated my friend. More importantly, build an engine. Their are many variables that one can design and build into and engine depending on $$$ and desired usage. Rally, dragstrip, oval, etc.

I race an M3 and that car is proof of that point!

You can have a high or low torque engine with similair horsepower ratings.
Are you serious?

Your comment was that dinan makes the same torque as other tunes, but les hp.

Since you race cars, can you explain how, on the same car, you tune a car for the same torque, but less hp at the same rpm?

Hp = torque x rpm / 5250

Looking forward to your response.
__________________
2015 M3 6MT
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 05:43 PM   #28
D's Bimmer
Captain
Canada
39

 
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto


Posts: 826
iTrader: (1)

The equation is reference to a static formula used to quantify horsepower in relation to torque. The reason why two tunes with identical torque can and most often due have different power output is because the characteristics of the respective tunes have different peak horsepower. For example, tune A may achieve its peak horsepower at 4700 rpm while tune B doesn't achieve it's peak output until 5400 rpm. This is the value that a tuner can deliver in terms of creating a time that meets the driver's requirements. In addition, a tuner can and often puts covenants, restrictive code, etc to create the optimal balance they are looking to achieve. If you read my note gain, that is exactly what I said.

The custom tune we created for my M3 has very high torque with governed peak horsepower. The reason for this is the same used by Dinan actually. The stress load put on the cars drivetrain and other core parts could not handle the power load over long durations. This would lead to material car damage and a shortened life of parts.

You can't simply add 25% more power to a car like this and not be expected to reengineer the drive train. So if two tunes quote te same torque and their horsepower is programmed to peak at the same rpm, the output will be the same. But the reason there re so many different tune options is that people needs tunes for different purposes and designing the correct power flow at the right rpm band is what makes the difference.
__________________
2011 335i M-Sport Sedan | Dinan Stage II Tune | Bilstein B12 l M3 Suspension Upgrade l BMW Performance Exhaust | BMW Performance Front Grill | OEM Euro M-Sport | 19" Volk Forged Performance ME's | JL Audio HD 900 | Morel Hybrid Components | JL Audio W3v3
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 06:51 PM   #29
KennyPowers
Brigadier General
130

 
Drives: .....
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gulf Coast


Posts: 4,437
iTrader: (13)

Half of that has nothing to do with the original question.

Again, you said dinan has the same torque but less horsepower.

At the same given rpm, that is impossible.

If your point is that dinan tapers boost up top earlier than te other tunes, but is equal at lower rpms, that's one thing (although I don't think the second part of that is true either)

On two cars that are the same that have the same torque at the same rpm, the power must be identical and cannot be different. If one car has more hp at a given rpm than another car, it must have more torque as well at that specific rpm.

On topic : I'm nt that impressed with the dinan dyno curves I've seen. The two I've seen made less than quoted hp and torque (using a 20% correction to crank hp)
__________________
2015 M3 6MT

Last edited by KennyPowers; 06-11-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 07:08 AM   #30
Dozhdbog
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
24

 
Dozhdbog's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hollywood


Posts: 1,511
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBounce View Post
BMW N. America will not allow the PPK on any non sport model 335i. You have to have certain options apparently. I've called BMWNA and been to 2 dealerships. They put in my VIN and they said no. Since I don't have the oil cooler and a certain sport package.
After much drama and 6 weeks of waiting, I had the stage 2 PPK installed on my non-sport 335.
__________________
2011 E90 / Premium Package / Stage 2 PPK / Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 10:22 AM   #31
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
272

 
Dark_Knight_335's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NY/NJ


Posts: 10,523
iTrader: (27)

Guess who's gettin a DINAN flash Friday?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 12:59 PM   #32
MoBounce
Turbo Love
United_States
4

 
MoBounce's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335i e90 N55
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Edgewater, NJ.


Posts: 44
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozhdbog View Post
After much drama and 6 weeks of waiting, I had the stage 2 PPK installed on my non-sport 335.
I don't have option code 840 on my 335 so therefore BMW WILL NOT do the ppk on my vehicle. Like I said before... it goes by VIN. Am I making this stuff up? Ask the dealer like I did on the stipulations. But, good for you that you had it done... you obviously have the option code that mine does not have.
__________________
2011 E90 N55 Xdrive - Black :: Dinan Stage 2 ECU Flash :: Dinan Exhaust :: CP-E Charge Pipe :: P3 Gauge :: 18" Breyton Race GTS Wheels - Matte Black :: KW V1 Coil-Overs :: Coding Goodies :: BMW Black Grills :: LUX H8 Halos :: 15% Tint
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 01:00 PM   #33
MoBounce
Turbo Love
United_States
4

 
MoBounce's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335i e90 N55
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Edgewater, NJ.


Posts: 44
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335 View Post
Guess who's gettin a DINAN flash Friday?
NICE!! Who are you getting it done by? A BMW dealer or Motor Works West?
__________________
2011 E90 N55 Xdrive - Black :: Dinan Stage 2 ECU Flash :: Dinan Exhaust :: CP-E Charge Pipe :: P3 Gauge :: 18" Breyton Race GTS Wheels - Matte Black :: KW V1 Coil-Overs :: Coding Goodies :: BMW Black Grills :: LUX H8 Halos :: 15% Tint
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 01:02 PM   #34
youngb4
Private
2

 
youngb4's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 335i M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kansas


Posts: 94
iTrader: (0)

Let us know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335 View Post
Guess who's gettin a DINAN flash Friday?
I'm sure this goes without saying and is on everyones mind, but PLEASE let us know your thoughts ! All these PPK/Dinan threads are making me itch to jump on the bandwagon as well, so I'd love to hear what you think about the difference between the PPK 1 and the Dinan Stage 2.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 01:45 PM   #35
D's Bimmer
Captain
Canada
39

 
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto


Posts: 826
iTrader: (1)

That's great. I love what it has done to my car from a performance and drivability standpoint. Look forward to hearing your thoughts after it is flashed.

Congrats!!!!
__________________
2011 335i M-Sport Sedan | Dinan Stage II Tune | Bilstein B12 l M3 Suspension Upgrade l BMW Performance Exhaust | BMW Performance Front Grill | OEM Euro M-Sport | 19" Volk Forged Performance ME's | JL Audio HD 900 | Morel Hybrid Components | JL Audio W3v3
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 01:54 PM   #36
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
272

 
Dark_Knight_335's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NY/NJ


Posts: 10,523
iTrader: (27)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBounce View Post
NICE!! Who are you getting it done by? A BMW dealer or Motor Works West?
Prestige in Ramsey. I have you SOLELY to thank for this Mo. You are truly the man.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 01:55 PM   #37
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
272

 
Dark_Knight_335's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NY/NJ


Posts: 10,523
iTrader: (27)

I will keep everyone posted. VERY stoked.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 02:13 PM   #38
eyim1988
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
39

 
eyim1988's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA


Posts: 1,529
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335
I will keep everyone posted. VERY stoked.
Happy for ya man. Go to a drag strip or dyno after too I want to see the capabilities of the dinan tune
__________________
Current: 2013 335i 6mt msport
BMS Clutch Stop, JB4, Slightly Modified OEM Muffler, ER Downpipe

Past: 2011 335i coupe
369 whp/444 torque. (Procede, Custom Turboback Exhaust, BMS Intake, ER FMIC)
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 02:16 PM   #39
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
272

 
Dark_Knight_335's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NY/NJ


Posts: 10,523
iTrader: (27)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyim1988 View Post
Happy for ya man. Go to a drag strip or dyno after too I want to see the capabilities of the dinan tune
Thanks my brotha! You are an inspiration to all of us N55'ers. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 05:56 PM   #40
Kramzz335i
Private First Class
7

 
Drives: Le Mans Blue BMW 335i Sedan
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Long Island, New York


Posts: 109
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyim1988 View Post
Happy for ya man. Go to a drag strip or dyno after too I want to see the capabilities of the dinan tune
+1 thanks everyone for your thoughts and inputs. its def helping me make a decision!
__________________
Keepin' it Flashy while Keepin' it Classy

2011 Le Mans Blue 335i M-Sport Oyster
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 06:36 PM   #41
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
272

 
Dark_Knight_335's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NY/NJ


Posts: 10,523
iTrader: (27)

The gains are great, but the warranty and peace of mind alone that you can walk into any BMW dealer and be covered for four whole years is fantastic to me.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 03:42 AM   #42
Dozhdbog
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
24

 
Dozhdbog's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hollywood


Posts: 1,511
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBounce View Post
I don't have option code 840 on my 335 so therefore BMW WILL NOT do the ppk on my vehicle. Like I said before... it goes by VIN. Am I making this stuff up? Ask the dealer like I did on the stipulations. But, good for you that you had it done... you obviously have the option code that mine does not have.
No, I most assuredly do not have option code 840, which is why it was such a pain in the ass to get the stage 2 PPK installed. I don't think you're making anything up either.

As far as I know, I have the only base model 335i(non sport, non option code 840) to get the stage 2 PPK.
__________________
2011 E90 / Premium Package / Stage 2 PPK / Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 08:27 AM   #43
MoBounce
Turbo Love
United_States
4

 
MoBounce's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335i e90 N55
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Edgewater, NJ.


Posts: 44
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozhdbog View Post
No, I most assuredly do not have option code 840, which is why it was such a pain in the ass to get the stage 2 PPK installed. I don't think you're making anything up either.

As far as I know, I have the only base model 335i(non sport, non option code 840) to get the stage 2 PPK.
Yea... no idea why I'm not granted access to the PPK. Ah well. I'm very happy with my Dinan tune

Have a good one!
__________________
2011 E90 N55 Xdrive - Black :: Dinan Stage 2 ECU Flash :: Dinan Exhaust :: CP-E Charge Pipe :: P3 Gauge :: 18" Breyton Race GTS Wheels - Matte Black :: KW V1 Coil-Overs :: Coding Goodies :: BMW Black Grills :: LUX H8 Halos :: 15% Tint
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 08:28 AM   #44
MoBounce
Turbo Love
United_States
4

 
MoBounce's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335i e90 N55
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Edgewater, NJ.


Posts: 44
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335 View Post
Prestige in Ramsey. I have you SOLELY to thank for this Mo. You are truly the man.
Thanks buddy... but no praise needed. Just did lots of reading and talking with the Dinan people. Enjoy it!!
__________________
2011 E90 N55 Xdrive - Black :: Dinan Stage 2 ECU Flash :: Dinan Exhaust :: CP-E Charge Pipe :: P3 Gauge :: 18" Breyton Race GTS Wheels - Matte Black :: KW V1 Coil-Overs :: Coding Goodies :: BMW Black Grills :: LUX H8 Halos :: 15% Tint
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:35 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST