E90Post
 


Lux Angel Eyes
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > What should be the order?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-12-2012, 02:20 PM   #1
BJK1903
BESIKTAS - cArsi
United_States
1

 
Drives: Space Grey - 2008 xi E92
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Boston - MA


Posts: 162
iTrader: (4)

What should be the order?

Hi Everyone,

I recently bought a 2008 E92 Xi. I want to modify it but seems like the more I look the more things comes up to do. I was wondering what order you guys would follow if you had to do the things below?

Thank you in advance for your time...

*Angel Eyes
*Tint the windows
*Change suspension ( to lower the car)
* Detail the car (I really need this one - Polish- wax)
*Change the bumper to Aero style
*Change tire and rims to 19's (I have the stock 18's)
*Change the chrome window trim.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 03:53 PM   #2
e90sexion
E 9 0 S E X I O N
Canada
63

 
e90sexion's Avatar
 
Drives: M3, Z4MC
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver/WA


Posts: 6,358
iTrader: (16)

always suspension first imo.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 04:00 PM   #3
zipstic
Captain
United_States
6

 
Drives: 2008 e92 335xi
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Minneapolis


Posts: 600
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJK1903 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I recently bought a 2008 E92 Xi. I want to modify it but seems like the more I look the more things comes up to do. I was wondering what order you guys would follow if you had to do the things below?

Thank you in advance for your time...

*Angel Eyes
*Tint the windows
*Change suspension ( to lower the car)
* Detail the car (I really need this one - Polish- wax)
*Change the bumper to Aero style
*Change tire and rims to 19's (I have the stock 18's)
*Change the chrome window trim.
Here's what I would do. (I'm sure others will have different opinions.)

1) Detail the car - this should be easy to do and you could do it today theoretically and not have to wait for parts like some of the other mods.
2) Change tire and rims to 19's (I have the stock 18's) *This assumes you're on RFTs. If not, then it moves lower on the list
3) Change suspension (to lower the car)
4) Change the chrome window trim. (If you're going the Plasti Dip route then this could move up the list since you could again theoretically do this today. Plus this is only a $6 investment and is reversible!)
6) Change the bumper to Aero style
7) Tint the windows (This depends on what the laws are. If it's 50% like in MN where I live I don't think it's really worth it do it. But if the limit is 20% then I'm all for it!)
8) Angel Eyes
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 04:23 PM   #4
Mirage17738
Private
0

 
Drives: 2007 328xi Wagon
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Winnipeg


Posts: 57
iTrader: (0)

If you have kids, tint the windows first, don't want them coming out all red looking when they fall asleep in the back with the sun beating down on them.

Then suspension next, followed by wheels. Not the other way around, the 4x4 look is thumbs down.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 04:27 PM   #5
diamondbimmer92
Lieutenant
4

 
diamondbimmer92's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 335xi
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Baltimore, MD


Posts: 400
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Detailing the car is a given...

tint, trim, and grills- the 3 easiest mods to give your car the best look for the price.
then move to wheels and suspension. Once your done that it should just be a free for all for the rest of your exterior mods.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 04:35 PM   #6
AtlasDoc
Private First Class
United_States
1

 
Drives: '07 Monaco Blue 335i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Acworth, GA.


Posts: 130
iTrader: (1)

I have a pair of chrome 19" Ruff Racing wheels that I'm looking to trade for 18" rims! Let me know if your interested in a trade. The rims are on my car in these pictures.
Attached Images
  
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 09:24 PM   #7
Fozzy
Waaka Waaka
Canada
4

 
Fozzy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E92 328xi
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Downtown Toronto


Posts: 462
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90sexion View Post
always suspension first imo.
+1. best money spent....then you have a sports car.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 12:52 PM   #8
itsmeek
Lieutenant
4

 
itsmeek's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: DC Metro


Posts: 412
iTrader: (3)

Detail, grill, maintenance, JB4, tint, ae's, suspension, wheels.

And please, don't buy those ugly ass chrome rims from the poster above.
__________________
1997 Supra TT (900ish hp)
2010 Range Rover Sport
1965 Mustang 302 5 speed!
2010 Prius
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 01:14 PM   #9
reprod
Major
United_States
14

 
Drives: 435i (M-Sport)
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New York, NY


Posts: 1,465
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmeek View Post
Detail, grill, maintenance, JB4, tint, ae's, suspension, wheels.

And please, don't buy those ugly ass chrome rims from the poster above.
Ouch... lol...

Back on topic though:
Suspension always comes first in my mind... Enhance the driving experience then enhance the looks to match the experience.
__________________
'08 Sparkling Graph. E92 335xi (ZSP w/ 18s | Saddle Br. | Grey Poplar) (Returned)
'11 Space Grey E92 335xi M-Sport (KWv1 Coils | Saddle Brown | Bamboo) (Returned)
'14 Mineral Grey F32 335i M-Sport (DHP | LED Lights | Coral Red | Hexagonal Aluminum)
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 01:44 PM   #10
omax2008
Private First Class
United_States
1

 
omax2008's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NY


Posts: 128
iTrader: (0)

If you are thinking springs/shocks then do the suspension first cus the drop is the drop. If you want coilovers, get the wheels/tires first then do the suspension. Reason being that you might want to adjust the height again after you swap for new wheels then you will need another alignment.

Everything else is cosmetic and can be done whenever
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 02:56 PM   #11
BJK1903
BESIKTAS - cArsi
United_States
1

 
Drives: Space Grey - 2008 xi E92
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Boston - MA


Posts: 162
iTrader: (4)

Thank you everyone...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage17738 View Post
If you have kids, tint the windows first, don't want them coming out all red looking when they fall asleep in the back with the sun beating down on them.

Then suspension next, followed by wheels. Not the other way around, the 4x4 look is thumbs down.

No kids


Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasDoc View Post
I have a pair of chrome 19" Ruff Racing wheels that I'm looking to trade for 18" rims! Let me know if your interested in a trade. The rims are on my car in these pictures.
Sorry bro not the rim's I'm quite looking for

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmeek View Post
Detail, grill, maintenance, JB4, tint, ae's, suspension, wheels.

And please, don't buy those ugly ass chrome rims from the poster above.
Not a chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by omax2008 View Post
If you are thinking springs/shocks then do the suspension first cus the drop is the drop. If you want coilovers, get the wheels/tires first then do the suspension. Reason being that you might want to adjust the height again after you swap for new wheels then you will need another alignment.

Everything else is cosmetic and can be done whenever
I think that makes sense. I might go this route.

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:39 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST