E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Tyre wear on outer wall?

06-12-2012, 11:10 AM   #23
Ermos

Drives: E93 320d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylonien View Post
Well I have only done 25k, albeit quite hard. But the outer front is gone. Maybe something to do with the RFT being so hard and rigid so when you corner it just scrubs the edge?

I know I need new tyres. But what is KDS? And just wondering if I needed to do camber or tracking etc?

What none ran flat should I get?
What I was said back then, it was most probably the combination of RFTs, M-sport suspension and maybe the weight of the car. The wheel alignment guy made very slight modifications (I don't remember exactly but it was at the extremes of normal for the car).
There will be a positive improvement if you move towards non-RFTs...there are many reviews at this website. I'm on Goodyear F1 Assym 2 and very happy after (20000 not 10000 mentioned on previous post).
Ermos is offline   Cyprus
      06-12-2012, 10:35 PM   #24
sylonien
Major

Drives: M3

I see. I asked BMW today and they reckon its the RFT and low tyre pressure. But I do check quite often. Anyhow need new ones now for sure. Heard good reviews from the Goodyear but I decided to go with Michelin Pilot Sport 3 225/40/18W for 270~ fitted from black circles.com
sylonien is offline   United Kingdom
      06-13-2012, 01:47 AM   #25
parapaul
Colonel

Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylonien View Post
Ok I finally checked properly and here's how it is.

The front outer wall on both tyres are below 2mm or worse and near the centre and inner is like 3~mm ish.

the back are around 4mm all around.
It's NOT the wall!!

The wall is the vertical part of the tyre, hence the name... What you have is outer EDGE wear of the tread, which is much more normal, and can be sorted by checking your tyre pressures and getting a geometry check.
      06-13-2012, 09:25 AM   #26
raf555
Banned

Drives: BMW 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awfully_Polite
Why don't you just put new tires on, and get a KDS? It is after all the only solution. Regardless of what other measures you will take in the end, after all is said and done. YOU WILL get new tyres and a KDS. There is no use avoiding it, Resistance is futile.

After all, given the weather recently it is kind of silly.

Good luck, and god speed.
My local tyre place uses "super tracker" for wheel alignment and charge £25.

Is that system any good?
      06-13-2012, 11:15 AM   #27
sylonien
Major

Fine fine fine, the edge only 1mm left on both front outer edge.

On another note, is okay to mix my front 2 new none RFT Michelin Pilot Sport 3 with my rear Bridgestone RFT with the 3mm left on them? Seems a waste not to use them.

Cause I got this email from blackcircles.com regarding to my fitting on Friday.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10096407/mix...disclaimer.doc

About a disclaimer that I shouldn't mix them together and might affect Warranty Insurance etc....
      06-13-2012, 12:01 PM   #28
parapaul
Colonel

Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by raf555 View Post
My local tyre place uses "super tracker" for wheel alignment and charge £25.

Is that system any good?
For that price, all you will be getting is front wheel tracking, which is only a 1 dimensional alignment. Better than nothing, but only just.

You need somewhere that will do a full 4 wheel geometry check.
      06-15-2012, 09:07 AM   #29
sylonien
Major

Well went and got my fronts fitted. Quite a bit smoother and definitely quieter for sure. Can't really tell on performance for the Pilot Sport 3 cause I don't plan to go crazy driving with my new tyres. Even though same size, these 225/40/18 side walls look chubbier and slightly taller compared to the Bridgestone?

What pressure should I run them at? Same as my RFT? 2.5bar front and 2.7 rear for two people?

Also went back for MOT retest and told that I needed a full test cause the car left the dealer and needed to pay again. But the guy told me last time that I had 10 days and no retesting fee! Anyway booked again for tomorrow morning 9:30am (driving to Bristol again) for a full test. He said he'd speak with the manager about the fee. No choice now, no MOT and need the car to be on the road again.