E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Which clubs in Northeast allow for passengers?

06-14-2012, 11:25 AM   #1
will.c
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46M

Which clubs in Northeast allow for passengers?

Just trying to find out some rules. If one attends a track day as a solo driver, which club allows him to have a passenger? I know that PCA SCH does not; I watched some guys get permanently get kicked out of the club for doing so. And I think most of the clubs in the East Coast does not allow for such.

To give another perspective to this question, I got a friend in Cali who tracks quite a bit. I went to visit a few months ago for both of us to track his car at the Infineon. After many conversations with the club's admin, we had come to a conclusion that I sign up Sunday and my friend on Sat independently. So we did, and basically when he drove, I was the passenger, and vice versa.

Neither of us are instructors, which seems to be a prerequisite in order for you to have a passenger in majority of the clubs in East Coast. Is this true for all clubs here?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 03:48 PM   #2
chad29
Rep
Drives: 325i

Passengers riding in cars other than with instructors is prohibited/discouraged primarily due to insurance issues. It's also very easy for drivers to be distracted by a passenger or attempt to impress a passenger thus IMO as a HPDE instructor for many years, I do not support passengers in student cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 04:10 PM   #3
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Check the local chapter of Viper Club of America (VCA), lapping clubs such as 3balls racing etc.

If it is a lapping club, chances are higher that they may allow passengers. They may have rules such as no passengers for the first 2 sessions, question of warming up etc.

I have given rides to passengers in my local chapter of VCA.
      06-14-2012, 04:39 PM   #4
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, '22 X3MC

CCA & PCA: no
SCDA: I may have seen one student passenger but generally no.
NASA & trackdaze: yes, according to their official club rules.

Having said that, I agreed with chad29, I don't think it's a good idea to have a student passenger with you. I see it as a big distraction and a huge liability (reputational, at minimum) for the club if something happens.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 09:15 PM   #5
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

I agree that for beginners and intermediates it may not make sense to have passengers.

However, I see it as a benefit that advanced and solo drivers be allowed to have passengers. Sometimes my buddy (both of us advanced solo) and I give each other rides so we can comment each other's driving during tracking events that allow passengers.
      06-15-2012, 12:43 PM   #6
will.c
Captain
United_States
Rep

Liability did come up as a potential issue in my previous case. However it was mediated by the fact that we both were officially registered attendees of the event. I do see that it still may get hairy if, say, I wrecked his car on the track; it'll prob take a lot to get coverage from the insurance.

Distraction, I definitely see it- especially if one is not an advanced driver.

Your points well taken. Thanks for the input gentlemen.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 02:22 PM   #7
chad29
Rep
Drives: 325i

^^^ It's good to see a positive, mature attitude regarding the various issues involved with passengers in student vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 03:34 PM   #8
will.c
Captain
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0