E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > sticking brake caliper??

06-12-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
Brennan
'The Godfather'

Drives: SAAB 9-3 Aero TTiD

sticking brake caliper??

Noticed that my car was making a loud squeal in reverse and when i pulled up on my drive there about 5 minutes ago, when i opened the car door to get out, the first thing i smelt was cooked brakes, i got out to see my passenger rear brake disk glowing bright red hot.

Really concerned about this, can anyone tell me what it could possibly be? I was thinking maybe a sticking caliper?
Brennan is offline   No_Country
      06-12-2012, 07:48 PM   #2
B005T3D-G
Class Leading Reprobate

Drives: Impreza STi - E92 335i (56)

Garage List
Yep, sounds like a sticky caliper to me. Also if it's got that hot if it wasn't knackered before it most certainly is now as the piston seals/boots probably got toasted so will definitely need refurbed if not replaced. I recommend getting your brake fluid changed as well at the same time as the repair.

Another thought, if it was the handbrake shoes that stuck then you may also have to consider getting a new wheel bearing and the hub trued up.

What was glowing, the disk or the bell or both?
B005T3D-G is offline   Scotland
      06-12-2012, 08:17 PM   #3
Brennan
'The Godfather'

I think it was just the disk that was red hot mate. How much would it cost to replace the piston boots/seals? Also is a sticking caliper common on these cars?
      06-12-2012, 08:55 PM   #4
B005T3D-G
Class Leading Reprobate

Garage List
Honestly couldn't tell you any costs or if it's a common problem on these cars or not. I can only go by my experience with a different marque.

Since it was just the disk you bearing may well be fine but your definitely looking at rear disks and pads and a new/second hand caliper, or have an Indy look over it to see if a refurb is possible and pricing on a brake fluid flush and change. A refurb kit shouldn't cost much if it's possible so ask at your dealer for pricing on that. Disks and pads can be found cheap on eBay, I got a full set all round for 265 from mTech and the quality of the discs is good and they use mintex pads which are fine for DD use. A rear set shouldn't set you back too much.

That's about as much help as I can give you I'm afraid but come morning time there may well be plenty of knowledgeable people who can steer you in the right direction with regards to refurbs, where to source parts and other items you may need to look at.

Good luck with the fix bud.
      06-12-2012, 09:00 PM   #5
B005T3D-G
Class Leading Reprobate

Garage List
Oh just another thing, please don't drive your car until this is resolved. If the disk breaks you'll be looking at a very high repair bill if your lucky, and if your not... well you get the idea.
      06-12-2012, 09:32 PM   #6
Rudz
Captain

Drives: E92 335i LCI MSport

mate, this might be just what you wanted, cheap as chips too

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=678588
Rudz is offline   United Kingdom
      06-13-2012, 10:17 AM   #7
Brennan
'The Godfather'

Quote:
Originally Posted by B005T3D-G View Post
Honestly couldn't tell you any costs or if it's a common problem on these cars or not. I can only go by my experience with a different marque.

Since it was just the disk you bearing may well be fine but your definitely looking at rear disks and pads and a new/second hand caliper, or have an Indy look over it to see if a refurb is possible and pricing on a brake fluid flush and change. A refurb kit shouldn't cost much if it's possible so ask at your dealer for pricing on that. Disks and pads can be found cheap on eBay, I got a full set all round for 265 from mTech and the quality of the discs is good and they use mintex pads which are fine for DD use. A rear set shouldn't set you back too much.

That's about as much help as I can give you I'm afraid but come morning time there may well be plenty of knowledgeable people who can steer you in the right direction with regards to refurbs, where to source parts and other items you may need to look at.

Good luck with the fix bud.
Quote:
Oh just another thing, please don't drive your car until this is resolved. If the disk breaks you'll be looking at a very high repair bill if your lucky, and if your not... well you get the idea.
Thanks for the sound advice mate, luckily im off work today so i dont need to use the car, i'll get my dad to check over the car later on, hes a mechanic which comes in very handy
      06-13-2012, 07:17 PM   #8
Brennan
'The Godfather'

ok so got dad to have a look at it, there is the beginning of a lip on the disc, i'll be changing those soon anyway so not too bothered.

Took the caliper apart and it seemed fine, lubed everything up, the only thing wrong was the brake pad it had completely fried and had started to crumble, so i changed it for another one i had in the garage.

No problems so far
      06-13-2012, 09:59 PM   #9
B005T3D-G
Class Leading Reprobate

Garage List
Wow, I'm shocked so little damage was done. When this happened to me I has to replace the lot as every seal in the caliper was toasted And the disc warped.

Anyway good news and keep an eye on it.
      06-13-2012, 10:20 PM   #10
Brennan
'The Godfather'

Quote:
Wow, I'm shocked so little damage was done. When this happened to me I has to replace the lot as every seal in the caliper was toasted And the disc warped.

Anyway good news and keep an eye on it.
i was shocked too, i guess i caught it early before any serious damage was done. Im going to get brand new pads tomorrow.

Will keep an eye on it cheers
      06-15-2012, 01:14 PM   #11
tmarshall57
First Lieutenant

Drives: E90 330d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron.B View Post

Took the caliper apart and it seemed fine, lubed everything up,

No problems so far
The sliding chromed/hard steel caliper pins are not supposed to be lubricated according to the TIS.
      06-16-2012, 02:02 PM   #12
Brennan
'The Godfather'

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarshall57 View Post
The sliding chromed/hard steel caliper pins are not supposed to be lubricated according to the TIS.
BMW say you shouldnt, they say you should replace. Many e90 owners lube everywhere and they have no issues
      06-16-2012, 02:16 PM   #13
AlwynMike
Captain

Drives: E91 335d.

I use a Poly-Butyl chloride compound (I think that's what it's called from memory - PBC) which is a very high temperature anti-seize compound.

I've had glowing brakes before on my MG (with hard use) and had no ill effects on either pads, discs or calipers.

Mike
AlwynMike is offline   United Kingdom