E90Post
 


MINHS Auto Care Center
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Opinions on united fuel Premium 100



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-20-2012, 01:15 AM   #1
BMJ
Captain
BMJ's Avatar
10
Rep
902
Posts

 
Drives: 335
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Australia

iTrader: (2)

Opinions on united fuel Premium 100

Just filled up with it today, engine feels smoother on cobb sport then when running BP Ultimate... 10% ethanol an issue, as Premium 100 has 10% in it.

http://www.unitedpetroleum.com.au/fuels/premium-100
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 01:32 AM   #2
sbce90
Me Boosta
sbce90's Avatar
Australia
81
Rep
5,562
Posts

 
Drives: 320i / MB C63 / VW up!
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (3)

Have a look at the 1addicts thread. They have talked about it a few times. http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=668468
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 01:48 AM   #3
BMJ
Captain
BMJ's Avatar
10
Rep
902
Posts

 
Drives: 335
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Australia

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbce90 View Post
Have a look at the 1addicts thread. They have talked about it a few times. http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=668468
Cheers sbc
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 04:41 AM   #4
Max555
Private First Class
Max555's Avatar
Australia
1
Rep
153
Posts

 
Drives: 07 E90 320i
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (0)

Used it once wasn't overly impressed.
__________________
E90 320i 07 Exec | innovations package | comfort access | 18" ellipsoid 162 | Yokohama 225/40 front 255/35 rear
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 07:35 AM   #5
BMJ
Captain
BMJ's Avatar
10
Rep
902
Posts

 
Drives: 335
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Australia

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max555 View Post
Used it once wasn't overly impressed.
Interesting Max, I have found it a lot smoother. thanks for the feed back
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 09:55 AM   #6
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Jeef Beef's Avatar
Australia
44
Rep
3,089
Posts

 
Drives: a sleeper
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (0)

It's actually just standard 98RON with 10% ethanol. Ethanol has higher knock resistance than petrol so adding 10% 'artificially' boosts the RON (a measure of knock resistance) to 100. So rather than filling with 100% 98RON fuel you are using E10 with a higher grade fuel. IT SHOULD BE CHEAPER THAN PURE 98RON just like how E10 is cheaper than regular unleaded. I'm not sure if it is.

100 doesn't necessarily mean it's 100% good. RON doesn't represent fuel quality or energy content. It's simply how resistant it is to premature detonation in the chamber. Hell, 100% ethanol (E100) has 113RON. Try running that in your car.
__________________

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 10:03 AM   #7
BMJ
Captain
BMJ's Avatar
10
Rep
902
Posts

 
Drives: 335
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Australia

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef Beef View Post
It's actually just standard 98RON with 10% ethanol. Ethanol has higher knock resistance than petrol so adding 10% 'artificially' boosts the RON (a measure of knock resistance) to 100. So rather than filling with 100% 98RON fuel you are using E10 with a higher grade fuel. IT SHOULD BE CHEAPER THAN PURE 98RON just like how E10 is cheaper than regular unleaded. I'm not sure if it is.
Thanks for the info JB

100 doesn't necessarily mean it's 100% good. RON doesn't represent fuel quality or energy content. It's simply how resistant it is to premature detonation in the chamber. Hell, 100% ethanol (E100) has 113RON. Try running that in your car.

fraak that.. will give it 1 more tank then go from there, (back to BPU)

cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 10:06 AM   #8
sbce90
Me Boosta
sbce90's Avatar
Australia
81
Rep
5,562
Posts

 
Drives: 320i / MB C63 / VW up!
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (3)

I've run the 100 before and to be honest can't tell any difference. It won't hurt if you run every now and then and probably wont make a difference in your lifetime of driving the car. Personally I'm content with regular 98.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 10:08 AM   #9
BMJ
Captain
BMJ's Avatar
10
Rep
902
Posts

 
Drives: 335
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Australia

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbce90 View Post
I've run the 100 before and to be honest can't tell any difference. It won't hurt if you run every now and then and probably wont make a difference in your lifetime of driving the car. Personally I'm content with regular 98.
BP ulti was always my choice or vortex... but no idea why on sport map car just felt smoother... might all be in my head.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 10:14 AM   #10
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Jeef Beef's Avatar
Australia
44
Rep
3,089
Posts

 
Drives: a sleeper
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMJ View Post
BP ulti was always my choice or vortex... but no idea why on sport map car just felt smoother... might all be in my head.
BP ultimate is used by all the car journos when reviewing cars, they might be onto something there. Can't go wrong.

Yeh, if it's costing more than regular 98, then it's an absolute rip.
__________________

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 10:32 AM   #11
sbce90
Me Boosta
sbce90's Avatar
Australia
81
Rep
5,562
Posts

 
Drives: 320i / MB C63 / VW up!
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (3)

I think there is a large placebo effect here as well. We may think we are car experts and can feel difference, but I doubt we will be able to tell the differences between running different fuels that easily. There are so many other factors when driving a car.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 03:53 PM   #12
Max555
Private First Class
Max555's Avatar
Australia
1
Rep
153
Posts

 
Drives: 07 E90 320i
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbce90
I think there is a large placebo effect here as well. We may think we are car experts and can feel difference, but I doubt we will be able to tell the differences between running different fuels that easily. There are so many other factors when driving a car.
Agree. However I have once sworn my car ran noticeably worse after being forced to fill up at an independent outlet. Between BP and Shell I can't notice a difference.
__________________
E90 320i 07 Exec | innovations package | comfort access | 18" ellipsoid 162 | Yokohama 225/40 front 255/35 rear
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 04:48 PM   #13
pavo335
Banned
pavo335's Avatar
33
Rep
2,981
Posts

 
Drives: 3.5 wheeler
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: sydney

iTrader: (0)

I also doubt there is any "performance" benefit but I am reasonably confidant that it does help when pushing the car at the track by reducing knock induced limp. I think I might hunt some down before the next track day cause $3 a litre at Wakefield seems a bit of a fleece
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 04:30 AM   #14
BMJ
Captain
BMJ's Avatar
10
Rep
902
Posts

 
Drives: 335
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Australia

iTrader: (2)

day two still impressed with it.. car is smoother for sure on cold start up. but it burns a lot quicker then BPU 98... i filled up @ 140.00L normally get 7 days between fill ups see how long it get on 100 united.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 07:18 AM   #15
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Jeef Beef's Avatar
Australia
44
Rep
3,089
Posts

 
Drives: a sleeper
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMJ View Post
day two still impressed with it.. car is smoother for sure on cold start up. but it burns a lot quicker then BPU 98... i filled up @ 140.00L normally get 7 days between fill ups see how long it get on 100 united.
That's because ethanol has lower energy content per mole compared to petrol, which means it will burn faster.

Hence why 100RON E10 should be cheaper than 98RON.
__________________

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:40 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST