E90Post

VIBE Motorsports

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > AC/HEAT- Blower Fan seems to have stopped

04-15-2011, 11:52 AM   #1
jg3360
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2009 BSM 328i X

Garage List
AC/HEAT- Blower Fan seems to have stopped

The blower/fan for AC and heat inside the car just doesnt come on. Is this a known issue? I have a 2009 328 under warranty. The AC/heat part is working there just isn't any fan action to circulate it or push it into the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 12:41 PM   #2
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [3.22]
Yes there's a TSB out about it.

Though the blower motor is not covered under this TSB. The cowl cover that leaks is.

That is what fails and allows water to drip onto the blower, causing it to rust and eventually fail.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 03:19 PM   #3
jg3360
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2009 BSM 328i X

Garage List
Thanks- anyone happen to have a link to this in pdf?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 08:13 PM   #4
AWe90
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 330i

bump. this just started happening to me today. anyone know how costly the repair is?

2006 330i
AW on black/MT/sport/premium/cold/35% tints/ZHP shifter/OEM splitters/19" Alufelgen SF-71/Contis
2008 Volvo XC90 V8 hers...
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 08:13 PM   #5
aah78
-
India
Rep

Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Arrow 2 solutions.

Same thing happened to me this morning.

My fan had been chirping since winter but it was occasional and I didn't get around to fixing it.

I think I'm going to first check this -> Squeeky fan in E91 (thanks to ///ajd),

and if that doesn't work then follow this -> HVAC Blower Motor Replacement (thanks to ENINTY).
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 07:18 PM   #6
aah78
-
India
Rep

Arrow solved?!

I checked the fan this morning by removing the micro-filter.

It was loosely jammed and I was able to get it moving with my fingers.
Sprayed WD-40 and it began rotating freely.

There's a slight rubbing / grinding noise that comes intermittently from under the glove compartment.
I checked using the second procedure and found that the ducting was loose (the metal clip had popped off). Hopefully this'll be the end of it or I'll have to go in for a new motor.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 05:41 AM   #7
ENINTY
Banned
Rep

Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
I checked the fan this morning by removing the micro-filter.

It was loosely jammed and I was able to get it moving with my fingers.
Sprayed WD-40 and it began rotating freely.

There's a slight rubbing / grinding noise that comes intermittently from under the glove compartment.
I checked using the second procedure and found that the ducting was loose (the metal clip had popped off). Hopefully this'll be the end of it or I'll have to go in for a new motor.
You will eventually need a new motor. The design is bad. The blower motor is oriented vertically (i.e the motor shaft poinst straight up). The blower fails because either water (from an improperly fitted cabin airfilter cover) or just plain old condesation trickles down the shaft and gets into the top bearing, which eventally wears out. If your fan has been making noise and rubs a bit, then the bearing is already shot. The replacement is really easy. The motor is about $80.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 05:05 PM   #8
aah78
-
India
Rep

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY
You will eventually need a new motor. The design is bad.

ENINTY, I think you're right. I'm going to need a motor sooner than I thought.

Yesterday, the rubbing (loud) started again in the morning but had lessened by evening.

Your write-up has been very helpful, as I did undo the lower dash and remove part of the ducting to check whether something was loose and rattling in there.

(Couldn't pull out the passenger side ducting entirely though. Removed the tiny white part that feeds the rear vents but the main black ducting seemed tightly bolted).
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 05:33 PM   #9
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [3.22]
WD-40 would not be a good lubricant in this situation. You should use a lithium silicone based lubricant.

I agree though that your motor will most likely have to be replaced.

ENINTY, do you have your old blower by any chance? It would interesting if we could take a look at the bearing and see if a better one can be installed.

I had my blower replaced under my new car warranty but they never replaced the windshield cowl cover like I asked them too which is why it failed. I know it will fail again sooner or later so it would be cool if we could just buy a new bearing opposed to a whole new unit.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 05:04 PM   #10
aah78
-
India
Rep

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
WD-40 would not be a good lubricant in this situation. You should use a lithium silicone based lubricant.

I agree though that your motor will most likely have to be replaced.

ENINTY, do you have your old blower by any chance? It would interesting if we could take a look at the bearing and see if a better one can be installed.

I had my blower replaced under my new car warranty but they never replaced the windshield cowl cover like I asked them too which is why it failed. I know it will fail again sooner or later so it would be cool if we could just buy a new bearing opposed to a whole new unit.
My blower motor is still chugging along.

It gets stuck occasionally and I have bought a new one that I haven't put in yet as I've recently begun getting water near the driver-side dead pedal, and passenger foot-well after a car wash.

All drains seem OK so I guess it's the cowl as diagnosed in other threads.