E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > SCCA STX Wheels & Tires for 330i

06-22-2012, 11:47 AM   #1
BigSkyBimmerfan
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

I had my first go at SCCA Solo this past weekend in my 330i and am hooked!

The car has a few upgrades which put it into ST, and the 275mm rears (Goodyear F1 Asyms on 19" Morr VS8.1's) bumped it into STU.

What I'd like to do is switch to the stock 18" wheels (style 162's which currently have Blizzaks on them) for now, with stickier tires, and reconsider the rims when whatever tires I choose are due for replacement.

If I use something at 265mm or less I will drop to STX and I think I'll actually be faster on 18's with stickier tires than the 240 treadwear F1's. I can go as low as 140 in STX.

My question is, does this sound like a reasonable budget-minded approach to get me into a lower class where I'd be more competitive? What is the anticipated performance impact of going from the current wheel / tire setup to what I've proposed? I really don't know how rim size / weight & tire width / compound interact on the track at this level.

Assuming this is a reasonable approach, any tire recommendations?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Edit: list of major mods...

- BMW Performance Exhaust & Intake
- BMW Performance Strut Brace
- Koni FSD/Eibach pro kit
- RPI Scoops
- Rogue SSK
- Goodyear F1 Asym. 245F/275R
- 19" Morr VS8 forged wheels
- M-tech aero kit
- Carbon fiber splitters/diffuser/spoiler
- Clutch Delay Valve delete
- BMW Performance electronic steering wheel
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 12:18 PM   #2
vwong
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: All Euro

I posted in the other thread. If you're planning on getting new wheels, I would maximize the allowance from the STX rules and go square 18x9 wheels with 265/35 tires. However, if you want to stick with your OEM wheels, then go for 235/40 front, 255/35 rear. Yokohama Neova AD08 would be my first choice, Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec would be the second.

And since you mentioned that it was your first event, I would recommend you to get more seat time after you sort out your tire selection.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 12:31 PM   #3
BigSkyBimmerfan
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I understand that seat time is the most critical factor here, I just want to get my class figured out and an initial build set up out so I can start working on consistency without frequently changing things up.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 03:11 PM   #4
Brian@bavarianx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

Apex usually has great fitments available for autox. PM paintpro21 on here and he'll be able to answer all the questions regarding track wheels and tires.
Appreciate 0