E90Post

GT Haus

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW and Toyota to Develop New Sports Car Jointly

06-30-2012, 01:42 PM   #111
jhhwang82

Drives: E46 M3 Vert

So... Are they gonna offer 0.9% for 60 months? That will be very nice... Kkkk...
jhhwang82 is offline   United_States
      06-30-2012, 01:45 PM   #112
Levi
Brigadier General

Drives: Alfa Romeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm3rmy View Post
this is the only way to give up BMW.
I have never seen more booooring cars than toyota.
I like BMW with his issues.
I am not interested in anything from Toyota.
I strongly believe if we get normal actual BMW with toyota involvement european BMW entuziast will move to mercedes most likely.
IT is the badge, the history, the fun that I love at BMW not the technology.
SHAME for BMW
You know a BMW that is better than the Lexus LFA ? You know a BMW that is more fun than the Toyota GT86 ?
Levi is online now   Germany
      06-30-2012, 02:12 PM   #113
///M3Lover
Captain

Drives: 04WhiteM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmmurf View Post
Speed doesn't equate reliability. sometimes the most robust products are conceptually simpler

Toyota reliability is amazing. every single one my family or friends have owned has gone 100k, 200k+ without any issues

our bmw's on the other hand... 40 out of ordinary maint visits 745li, 10 dealer visits e38 740iL, several on the X5, a couple on the M3's... the simpler 6mt M3's have been the most reliable
I certainly hope BMW improves their reliability by collaborating with Toyota.
I am tired of fixing my E46 M3 every year. Love and hate the car at the same time.
      06-30-2012, 03:28 PM   #114
Beyu
Lieutenant

Drives: 135i

This is much better than the partnership between BMW and Hyundai.

Toyota already produces great luxury cars and have been making the Lexus lineup sportier over the years. They have a car to compete with the M3/C63, a supercar under their belt, and a concept car the LF-LC that is just downright gorgeous inside and out. Only good things can come from their collaboration.

Last edited by Beyu; 06-30-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Beyu is offline   United_States
      06-30-2012, 03:34 PM   #115
vladberca
Brigadier General

Drives: '09 jetta tsi 6mt

I think that we will have only good surprises in the near future due to this collaboration

For sure BMW has to extend its i Brand and Toyota has a good know how for hybrids, but also other sport models can be developed or even Lotus might be the next partner of this alliance
vladberca is online now   Romania
      06-30-2012, 04:26 PM   #116
cgaffney004
Beer Master

Drives: 11' 335d / 95' M3

Toyota reliability !?!? Lol. I work in Toyota service... Just as many issues as the next brand.. Don't be fooled.
      06-30-2012, 05:05 PM   #117
MisterSkiMask
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: I Can not say

The joint venture product will be a disappointment, you can not create art by committee
      06-30-2012, 08:46 PM   #118
e46e92love
Brigadier General

Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Send a message via AIM to e46e92love
I think this is awesome, in fact they may be on to something very big here. You see, if this works, they can expand this cooperation with other companies, then they all can eventually merge, and then consumers won't have the overwhelming job of choosing between car companies, there will only be one car company in the world, with 3 engines and 3 modular frames that are used to create 36 models....YES!!! All you will have to do is pick a color and the functionality you want, cause again, they will all drive exactly the same way!!!

This awesome!!!

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
e46e92love is offline   United_States
      06-30-2012, 09:07 PM   #119
Aries326
Major

Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWPower06
Everyone mentions "Toyota reliability" but fails to realize the communications systems in a Camry are completely different than anything found in a BMW. BMWs use fiber optic bus systems, which are faster, but also more expensive and less reliable. BMW has no issues with engine reliability, it is their electronics. Seeing as how Toyota doesn't have anywhere near the advanced electronics that BMW does, I doubt they will be able to improve reliability...
No BMW engine problems? Tell that to S54 owners.
      06-30-2012, 09:27 PM   #120
jc05e46m3
Major

Drives: '15 YMB/SO M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries326 View Post
No BMW engine problems? Tell that to S54 owners.
When I had to have my VANOS replaced on my E46 M3 I wasn't too thrilled, I can tell you that. The S54 was a pain in the ass then it came to that. Not to mention having the shims during Inspection II
      06-30-2012, 09:46 PM   #121
Fraggy
Brigadier General

Drives: 2007 e90

I find it saddeningly funny that so many people are okay with BMW advancing Toyota, a Japanese manufacturer who has done more to hurt American business than most any other car maker. In their heyday, the Japanese decimated the US auto industry, therefore hurting many many American families and lives. If BMW would have partnered up with Cadillac, to help build a super ATS sedan, I would be very excited about that as that would truly be a win-win for America and BMW.
      06-30-2012, 10:03 PM   #122
Cdnrockies
Banned

Drives: BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraggy View Post
I find it saddeningly funny that so many people are okay with BMW advancing Toyota, a Japanese manufacturer who has done more to hurt American business than most any other car maker. In their heyday, the Japanese decimated the US auto industry, therefore hurting many many American families and lives. If BMW would have partnered up with Cadillac, to help build a super ATS sedan, I would be very excited about that as that would truly be a win-win for America and BMW.
Wut?

So you support a German company in America that has one plant in SC but not a Japanese one that is a major contributor to the North American economy? Racist/fanboi/FAIL much?

Quote:
Toyota's thirteen North American manufacturing plants that make 11 Toyota and Lexus models have earned 11 segment awards out of a possible 19 in the 2008 J.D. Power and Associates Vehicle Dependability StudySM (VDS), more than any other manufacturer, for the third consecutive year.

Toyota directly employs over 43,000 in North America and its investment here is currently valued at more than $21 billion, including sales and manufacturing operations, research and development, financial services and design. Toyota's purchasing of parts, materials, goods and services from North American suppliers totals more than $30 billion per year.
Cdnrockies is offline   Canada
      06-30-2012, 11:23 PM   #123
Enter Faster

Drives: 2012 335i

No manual transmission in M5's and now this.. Wow losing faith in humanity one post at a time
      07-01-2012, 05:41 AM   #124
Levi
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSkiMask View Post
The joint venture product will be a disappointment, you can not create art by committee
"Toyota GT86, built by passion, not by committee."

While at BMW M we have only committee with X5/X5 M, X6 M50d, M50d, M135i, and many other coming. No Z2, no M CSL.
      07-01-2012, 07:26 AM   #125
Malbolge
Major General

Drives: TiAg Z4 Coupe 3.0Si

Garage List
[quote=tony20009;12240036]BMW engineering and Toyota reliability sounds like something I'd buy. !.[

Toyota reliability stems from toyota engineering. So bmw engineering might cancel it out. I rather think bmw driving and chassis component married to toyota engineering means we might have a nice outcome. Let toyota do mechanics and bmw sort out styling and driving. Id be happy. Bmw still uses some old tech in auxillary components that are silly. Cooling liquid box leaking anyone? 20yr old design, still cant get it right!
      07-01-2012, 07:30 AM   #126
JesterEXW
Private First Class

Drives: 2009 335i, Space Gray / Black

I think this is a great combination. Some owners that are label whores may feel this cheapens the brand, but I disagree. A sign of a good company is when they are willing to admit that they can learn something from others. Toyota is a strong brand that has a lot to offer BMW, especially in the reliability category. This is the company that made the Supra too, so can't be all bad!
JesterEXW is offline   United_States
      07-01-2012, 08:11 AM   #127
bm3rmy

Drives: E90 2.0D

Sorry, but what ''BMW fan'' means than?
Auto industry has become a whore. It is soon impossible to be a fan of new cars since different car manufacturers share same components.
how it will sound for ex from the point of view of a fan? ''I have a BMW 3 series and the best thing, it has a toyota engine''
      07-01-2012, 08:49 AM   #128
MisterSkiMask
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: I Can not say

Quote:
Auto industry has become a whore. It is soon impossible to be a fan of new cars since different car manufacturers share same components.
how it will sound for ex from the point of view of a fan? ''I have a BMW 3 series and the best thing, it has a toyota engine''
The auto industry is just trying to survive. Development costs are astronomical, margins are thin, and the market is super competitive, one miss (perhaps BMW 'i') can kill a company.
      07-01-2012, 09:52 AM   #129
Levi
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSkiMask View Post
The auto industry is just trying to survive. Development costs are astronomical, margins are thin, and the market is super competitive, one miss (perhaps BMW 'i') can kill a company.
+1

Quote:
And who said BMW's would get Toyota engines ? On the otehr hand it would be nice if the M supercar got the LFA engine instead of their unresponsive low revving turbocharged engines.
      07-01-2012, 11:47 AM   #130
Ceizer1985
BLK Bullet

Drives: 328xi 2009

Some over the top reactions ITT to say the least. Take it easy, this isn't the end of the world.
      07-01-2012, 07:54 PM   #131
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook

Drives: 2011 135i DCT

First FWD, then the 2nd gen 1er and now turning Japanese. Fail, Fail, Fail, I really think so think so, so think.
JB135MDCT is offline   United_States
      07-01-2012, 08:15 PM   #132
Fraggy
Brigadier General

Drives: 2007 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraggy View Post
Wut?

So you support a German company in America that has one plant in SC but not a Japanese one that is a major contributor to the North American economy? Racist/fanboi/FAIL much?

Quote:
Toyota's thirteen North American manufacturing plants that make 11 Toyota and Lexus models have earned 11 segment awards out of a possible 19 in the 2008 J.D. Power and Associates Vehicle Dependability StudySM (VDS), more than any other manufacturer, for the third consecutive year.

Toyota directly employs over 43,000 in North America and its investment here is currently valued at more than $21 billion, including sales and manufacturing operations, research and development, financial services and design. Toyota's purchasing of parts, materials, goods and services from North American suppliers totals more than $30 billion per year.

Yes. American automakers do not directly compete with BMW, other than maybe Cadillac with the CTS V and the upcoming ATS.

But the Japanese directly targeted heart of the American auto industry, and in the process created ghost towns as American auto factories shut down.

So yea, I'm not real keen on doing anything that supports them, or being proud my car brand wants to help them get even better.