E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Help. Rusted Bolts on Downpipe Removal

07-03-2012, 01:57 PM   #23
benzy89
Banned

Drives: '08 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [3.75]
I know you're not gonna want to hear this, but you might have to unbolt the 1 DP and rotate them until they both line up. Leave them bolted into the V-band, they'll still be able to rotate since it's not like they're screwed into a specific angle
benzy89 is offline   United_States
      07-03-2012, 02:44 PM   #24
badfish718
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 13 F30 335i M-Sport EB2

So have both DP's unbolted and try to rotate both?

The bolts here have been a real pain in the ass also, they have to really be cleaned off each time to make sure the nut will not stop turning half way. I have had to jam a flat head screwdriver to keep the entire bolt from spinning, about 2 hours worth of that.

Prev:
07 E92 335i Montego/Saddle - Stage 2+
badfish718 is offline   United_States
      07-03-2012, 03:21 PM   #25
benzy89
Banned

Drives: '08 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [3.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish718 View Post
So have both DP's unbolted and try to rotate both?

The bolts here have been a real pain in the ass also, they have to really be cleaned off each time to make sure the nut will not stop turning half way. I have had to jam a flat head screwdriver to keep the entire bolt from spinning, about 2 hours worth of that.
Unbolt the long DP from the midpipe. See if you can rotate the DPs while they're still bolted to the turbos/V-band and get them to line up. **If the DPs line up, put the bolts in but do not tighten them until both DPs are lined up

IF you need to, try loosening the V-band just enough so you can rotate the DP (no need to take if off) and like I said above, try and get the DPs to line up with the midpipe but do not tighten anything until it lines up.

That's really weird that the bolts + nuts are giving you trouble, are they stripped or are the grooves messed up?

Side note -- You've got gaskets on the ends of both DPs right? Last thing you want is to have everything 100% bolted up + get exhaust leaks b/c there aren't any gaskets on
benzy89 is offline   United_States