E90Post
 


TNT Racewerks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Daily Driver Review: Performance Power Kit S1 - N55 335i



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-28-2012, 08:04 AM   #221
Diver
Colonel
Diver's Avatar
United_States
44
Rep
2,899
Posts

 
Drives: Black '12 135i DCT PPK Msport
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

My car now has 1500 miles on it so I have had a chance to thrash it a bit. Compared to my last 135i without PPK, this one is definitely faster and by a chunk. 40 to 80 mph is almost a leap. The weather here has been exceptionally hot, 107F two days ago. Oil temps do not exceed 240F. Even with AC and searing temps this thing runs.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 01:28 PM   #222
Soliditude
First Lieutenant
Soliditude's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
341
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive M-sport
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlietiesto View Post
I have the ppk1 and I was wondering if the car drives faster on sport more or is it the same?
No, it won't drive faster, because Sport Shift is just for the transmission. It'll keep revs longer and shift later for more aggressive driving, but it won't make your engine faster.
__________________
'11 6AT 335i xDrive ///M BMW PPK Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 01:30 PM   #223
Soliditude
First Lieutenant
Soliditude's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
341
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive M-sport
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver View Post
My car now has 1500 miles on it so I have had a chance to thrash it a bit. Compared to my last 135i without PPK, this one is definitely faster and by a chunk. 40 to 80 mph is almost a leap. The weather here has been exceptionally hot, 107F two days ago. Oil temps do not exceed 240F. Even with AC and searing temps this thing runs.

Agreed 100%. Sometimes I gain 40 miles without even noticing, and all of a sudden, I'm going 100mph, lol. My temps always stick to 240 on hot days, but I haven't seen them go over 250. Safe to say the N55 is quite good for not overheating.
__________________
'11 6AT 335i xDrive ///M BMW PPK Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 10:03 AM   #224
SD335M
Private First Class
SD335M's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
147
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335i M, E90 LeMans Blue.
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 e90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliditude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlietiesto View Post
I have the ppk1 and I was wondering if the car drives faster on sport more or is it the same?
No, it won't drive faster, because Sport Shift is just for the transmission. It'll keep revs longer and shift later for more aggressive driving, but it won't make your engine faster.
+1. Well put. That's how I should have worded it. But it seems faster to me. For example if you were to just mash on the gas in sport mode as oppose to just in drive I feel sport mode would result in better times. Which it has according to pocketdyno app.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 04:42 PM   #225
Soliditude
First Lieutenant
Soliditude's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
341
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive M-sport
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD335M View Post
+1. Well put. That's how I should have worded it. But it seems faster to me. For example if you were to just mash on the gas in sport mode as oppose to just in drive I feel sport mode would result in better times. Which it has according to pocketdyno app.
Yeah, I agree. More aggressive shifting will result in a bit better times, because, after all, it lets your car be in the proper gear for a longer period of time.
__________________
'11 6AT 335i xDrive ///M BMW PPK Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 05:52 AM   #226
ATC335
New Member
0
Rep
17
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 e92 335i xdrive
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (0)

After more than a month with the PPK and PE, I must say I am glad I had this modification. Car sounds great.

One issue though, sometimes. In heavy stop and go traffic with the engine running hot, my car idles at only 6 hundred rpm and sometimes just dies. It happened 3 times in a short period yesterday....
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 01:06 PM   #227
Soliditude
First Lieutenant
Soliditude's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
341
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive M-sport
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATC335 View Post
After more than a month with the PPK and PE, I must say I am glad I had this modification. Car sounds great.

One issue though, sometimes. In heavy stop and go traffic with the engine running hot, my car idles at only 6 hundred rpm and sometimes just dies. It happened 3 times in a short period yesterday....

I'm sorry to hear that, man. However, the PPK should not cause your car to do that. It only adds minor changes to the PSI of the turbo, so your car shouldn't have idling and overheating issues as a result. Take it in to the dealer and have them check it out!
__________________
'11 6AT 335i xDrive ///M BMW PPK Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 05:35 PM   #228
srd5948
'11 BMW 335i M Sports 6 Speed Manual
United_States
0
Rep
37
Posts

 
Drives: 11 BMW 335i with M Sports
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New Braunfels, TX

iTrader: (0)

I have 2011 BMW 335i (N55)with M sports package, I was looking at upgrading with PPK-1, the dealer at San Antonio, TX quoted me $880 + Labor.
Do you guys think its fair deal?
He also told me, the whole upgrade process might take a complete day or so, that means total will be even more including labor charges.

Please advice....
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 06:44 PM   #229
Soliditude
First Lieutenant
Soliditude's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
341
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive M-sport
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by srd5948 View Post
I have 2011 BMW 335i (N55)with M sports package, I was looking at upgrading with PPK-1, the dealer at San Antonio, TX quoted me $880 + Labor.
Do you guys think its fair deal?
He also told me, the whole upgrade process might take a complete day or so, that means total will be even more including labor charges.

Please advice....

It's a pretty good deal for what it is, however, two things you need to know:
The labor charge for this upgrade is only for 1.5 hours at the most! Even if it takes them all day to do it (like mine did), you only pay them for 1.5 hours labor. Be sure to inform them that, as that's the way it's quoted by BMW. They can't charge you more because their installers are slow.

Be prepared for it taking all day and getting a fun loaner meanwhile, lol. Make sure--make double sure and verify on your own--that they order the PPK according to your exact VIN. If just one digit is off, your car will not take the upgrade and they will have to re-order everything.

Lastly, talk to some of the parts guys at the dealer. They may hook you up with a discount like they did me ($680). Bring up the fact that it used to cost $500 when released at first.
__________________
'11 6AT 335i xDrive ///M BMW PPK Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 09:31 PM   #230
srd5948
'11 BMW 335i M Sports 6 Speed Manual
United_States
0
Rep
37
Posts

 
Drives: 11 BMW 335i with M Sports
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New Braunfels, TX

iTrader: (0)

@soliditude: thanks for the comments, I will try to do as you mentioned. I am also trying to get a quote from another BMW dealer just to see if I can get at lower price...

Appreciate your help!
__________________
2011 BMW 335i 6 Speed with M sport Package
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 07:12 PM   #231
BMW_Belgier
Lieutenant Colonel
BMW_Belgier's Avatar
Switzerland
19
Rep
1,522
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335xi n55
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Switzerland

iTrader: (0)

Was a few degrees colder tonight!

Really feeling the power

It's a big difference what a few degrees do with the car
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 08:02 PM   #232
teege
Private First Class
Canada
2
Rep
109
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335i/E90 LCI
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335 View Post
So true man. Know a cheap way to "fix" that?
Park your ride in the driveway for a week and rent the economy four banger of your choice at your local Enterprise for a week.
Drive only said four banger for that week, then return and get back in your ride.
Repeat as necessary.
I travel a lot and find myself in a lot of rental cars. I've driven pretty much everything. you hit the nail here. every single time I come home, jump off the plane and pull out of the airport parking garage, back in my bmw... ahhh yes, I remember why.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 02:26 PM   #233
Soliditude
First Lieutenant
Soliditude's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
341
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive M-sport
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by srd5948 View Post
@soliditude: thanks for the comments, I will try to do as you mentioned. I am also trying to get a quote from another BMW dealer just to see if I can get at lower price...

Appreciate your help!

That's exactly what I did, yep. Tell them that if they give you a better deal, you will go with them--it'll be something they want, so they'll try and beat the other guys... And then you could go back to the other guys, say that you got a better deal elsewhere, and see if they can beat that, lol. That's exactly the way mine turned out, but mostly, it was just talking to the right guy at the right time from the parts department.

No problemo!
__________________
'11 6AT 335i xDrive ///M BMW PPK Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 02:27 PM   #234
Soliditude
First Lieutenant
Soliditude's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
341
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive M-sport
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Belgier View Post
Was a few degrees colder tonight!

Really feeling the power

It's a big difference what a few degrees do with the car
Quote:
Originally Posted by teege View Post
I travel a lot and find myself in a lot of rental cars. I've driven pretty much everything. you hit the nail here. every single time I come home, jump off the plane and pull out of the airport parking garage, back in my bmw... ahhh yes, I remember why.

+1!
__________________
'11 6AT 335i xDrive ///M BMW PPK Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 03:55 PM   #235
Noncom23
First Lieutenant
Noncom23's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
321
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335i Saphire Black
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I have an appt to take mine in on
7/16/12. Lots of RPM surging
when hot on start up. Some long
starts also. Will report back.
All started after the PPK 1 was
installed.
__________________
Mike F
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 07:42 PM   #236
Dozhdbog
Lieutenant Colonel
Dozhdbog's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
1,555
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hollywood

iTrader: (0)

I get the RPM surging occasionally, and on very rare occasions I get a long start. Wonder what it means...
__________________
2011 E90 / Premium Package / Stage 2 PPK / Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 07:51 PM   #237
BMW_Belgier
Lieutenant Colonel
BMW_Belgier's Avatar
Switzerland
19
Rep
1,522
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335xi n55
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Switzerland

iTrader: (0)

No such problems here...

Hope you guys get it solved!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 01:37 PM   #238
thegrinchboy
Lieutenant
United_States
6
Rep
567
Posts

 
Drives: '11 E90 N55 xDrive 6MT MSport
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH

iTrader: (7)

Had my 2011 335i xDrive M Sport updated with PPK1 in S. NH. If you are a member of BMW CCA, you will get 15% off of the part cost, but not the labor. My came to $640+labor. Definitely worth it.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 12:30 PM   #239
Soliditude
First Lieutenant
Soliditude's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
341
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive M-sport
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrinchboy View Post
Had my 2011 335i xDrive M Sport updated with PPK1 in S. NH. If you are a member of BMW CCA, you will get 15% off of the part cost, but not the labor. My came to $640+labor. Definitely worth it.
I can confirm this! The guy I spoke to gave me the CCA discount without me having to register, lol. $640 is a solid-good deal!
__________________
'11 6AT 335i xDrive ///M BMW PPK Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 12:32 PM   #240
Soliditude
First Lieutenant
Soliditude's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
341
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive M-sport
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noncom23 View Post
I have an appt to take mine in on
7/16/12. Lots of RPM surging
when hot on start up. Some long
starts also. Will report back.
All started after the PPK 1 was
installed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozhdbog View Post
I get the RPM surging occasionally, and on very rare occasions I get a long start. Wonder what it means...

This is making me think it might be HPFP-related. I've heard of HPFP failures on the N55, so even we aren't exluded. I think it's mostly like coincidence with having the PPK installed, however. Update us on if you guys get it resolved to know what it was! And good luck.
__________________
'11 6AT 335i xDrive ///M BMW PPK Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 06:37 PM   #241
BMW_Belgier
Lieutenant Colonel
BMW_Belgier's Avatar
Switzerland
19
Rep
1,522
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335xi n55
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Switzerland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliditude View Post
This is making me think it might be HPFP-related. I've heard of HPFP failures on the N55, so even we aren't exluded. I think it's mostly like coincidence with having the PPK installed, however. Update us on if you guys get it resolved to know what it was! And good luck.
Would they check up on HPFP when they load the PPK?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 02:42 PM   #242
Soliditude
First Lieutenant
Soliditude's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
341
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive M-sport
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Belgier View Post
Would they check up on HPFP when they load the PPK?

In the US, stealerships never want to do anything extra without getting paid, lol. I don't think they would unless it was reported malfunctioning.
__________________
'11 6AT 335i xDrive ///M BMW PPK Stage 1
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:52 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST