E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Tyre and Rim Insurance

06-25-2012, 07:23 PM   #1
Spikey
Captain

Drives: erratically

Tyre and Rim Insurance

Hey Guys,

Sorry to post in 2 places ... not sure how many visit the F30 forums

The short of it is that I'm getting a new car but wondering whether I should take out the Tyre and Rim insurance? I've done a search here and there are some negative views about it?

I read the pds and it seems straight forward enough... tyres puntured/blown out by nails on the road or other debris = covered... Kerb rash on rims = covered... damaged rims due to potholes = covered ... Right?

If anyone has cover and has had to use it, can you share your experience/views?

Many many thanks guys. .
Spikey is offline   Australia
      06-25-2012, 08:52 PM   #2
KingClifton
Private

Drives: 2009 320d & 2011.5 X5 30d

Kerb rash NOT covered according to finance manager at my dealer. Everything else is though.

Not sure what you've been quoted but costing me about $750 for 3 years coverage on a 2011 X5 with 18" rims and RFTs.

TBH I probably wouldn't have gone ahead with it, were it not for the fact that the finance guy had already put it in the loan contract, and it works out to a few bucks a month over the loan, so I'm actually glad he did.
      06-25-2012, 09:31 PM   #3
Spikey
Captain

Thanks for the reply, made me re-read the pds and it states:

We will not pay any claim for damage to the tyre(s) or
rim(s) of your motor vehicle or your motorcycle which
is caused by, arises from or is any way connected with:

8. damage caused by scratching or bruising;

which i guess is kerb rash... damn
      06-26-2012, 02:15 AM   #4
aaccon
Private

Drives: X3 F25 2.0D Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
Thanks for the reply, made me re-read the pds and it states:

We will not pay any claim for damage to the tyre(s) or
rim(s) of your motor vehicle or your motorcycle which
is caused by, arises from or is any way connected with:

8. damage caused by scratching or bruising;

which i guess is kerb rash... damn
Interestingly when I took out this Insurance some 2 years ago the Finance guy at the dealer explicitly stated the policy DID cover kerb rash. I had to make a claim from a pothole damage and the rim was `scratched` and some alloy gouging. I was told by Allianz I was not covered as the rim was not buckled.

Luckily I had a PDS that indicated damage by potholes covered and did not make mention that the rim had to be buckled to make a claim - so the damage was covered. I believe in later PDS documents the rim has to be buckled to make a claim.

Cheers..
aaccon is offline   Australia
      06-26-2012, 05:03 AM   #5
dr335e93
Banned

Drives: E93 335

Wish I took it.
Cracked both rear wheels 3 times and bent both front wheels twice. Each. Wasted a cumulative week of my life getting them fixed. Wheels: 19 style 230. Big exposé on bbc about them a couple years ago. A google search will quickly yield the story. BMW = Buy More Wheels. Now onto some m3 reps.

Having said that the N54 is the best thing since sliced bread!

Bottom line: take the insurance!
      06-26-2012, 06:24 AM   #6
Spikey
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr335e93 View Post
Wish I took it.
Cracked both rear wheels 3 times and bent both front wheels twice. Each. Wasted a cumulative week of my life getting them fixed. Wheels: 19 style 230. Big exposé on bbc about them a couple years ago. A google search will quickly yield the story. BMW = Buy More Wheels. Now onto some m3 reps.

Having said that the N54 is the best thing since sliced bread!

Bottom line: take the insurance!
Man... that sounds like a streak of bloody bad luck...

yea I'm leaning towards the 'just get it' side now... i'll have 19" on mine too
      06-26-2012, 09:05 AM   #7
lcag08
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2009 E93 335i

I remember being offered it, seemed like a fairly bad deal.

As mentioned above, didn't cover curb rash, and there was a pretty pathetic limit on each claim and/or limit on the number of claims (e.g. wouldn't even cover the cost of replacing a rim). As far as tyres are concerned, I get that insurance for free when I buy new tyres.
      06-26-2012, 10:20 PM   #8
PerthBMW
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2010 325i M Sports Innovation

Hey

I too seriously looked into this when I purchased my toy and weighted up the costs versus the significant limitations placed upon the actual incidents when the Policy would cover you. I worked out that given curb rash was excluded then the costs to have a rim repaired in Perth were only about $150 I was better off not getting it. Also, if the rim was bent etc. it might be just as cheap to buy a new one off eBay or a supplier overseas.

Touch wood the only damage I have ever had in 18 months to my rims was actually caused by the Stealer when they installed my Performance Brakes and they paid to repair them.

I am going to take out the extended warranty insurance though prior to the 3 year factory one expiring as that could be a good investment choice given the cost of the car and repairs.

I am not sure the Rim/Tyre Policy is worth the cost given the exclusions....my 10 cents worth.

PerthBMW is offline   Australia
      06-27-2012, 03:36 PM   #9
Spikey
Captain

Thanks guys for the feedback so far~

Waiting to get a quote to see how much it is... if it's not much then I might just do it. If not, I'd just forego it and hope for good luck on our dodgy roads
      07-08-2012, 10:22 PM   #10
BMA-E92
Private

Drives: BMW E92 335i M sport DCT

It took out the cover on my car and it was a waste of money they dont offer a spare wheel to go on your car while the other is getting repaired , so basicly your down a car while it gets repaired.
Your are probably better off spending the money on the windscreen insurance as it is good for chips and cracks that is more likely to happen in day to day driving. The glass insurance is even more worth while if your car has the rain wiper sensor.
BMA-E92 is offline   Austria
      07-08-2012, 10:26 PM   #11
notan///m
Colonel

Drives: AY F80 (out of the oven)

Garage List
yeah, I'd save that $750 because if you decide to mod your wheels in the long run, they most likely won't get you much anyway. If you're getting 19's, just be more mindful of road imperfections. 18's tend to run problem-free.

CCA Member